Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Alchemists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Merchant question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The 2nd player in 2 player game doesn't get to sell, so can't activate the merchant.

In a two player game, the merchant just gives you 1 gold when you mix a potion for a customer (as you must be first).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the rulebook says a different thing.
Have a look on page 20.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Merchant allows you to sell a potion, even when you're in the last position. That's how I understood it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you give discounts which may reorder the players' positions to sell. So even though you've placed there first, you might get 'outbid' by another player giving a bigger discount.

Sorry I misunderstood the question!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The merchant just doesn't work in a 2 player game as he would in a 3 or more player game.

It's intended if you are second to mix a potion in a 3+ player game you can mix the same potion as the first player.

But if you have multiple cards you can turn them in if you sell a potion to get 1 gold for each card you discard if you aren't the first player to mix.

So i'm not sure but this means that the card is useless in a 2 player game for selling potions. You do get 2 gold for those cards with final score if you still have them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play the merchant in 2p, you can sell even if you're not the first player to sell. That's it, and what's written on p.20 of the rules.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
When you play the merchant in 2p, you can sell even if you're not the first player to sell. That's it, and what's written on p.20 of the rules.


This.

Breaking it down in a step-by-step procedure:

- Everyone plays their discount cards, establishing the selling order.
- If the 1st player plays the Merchant, he/she gets 1 gold, even he doesn't match afterwards the guaranteed quality he offered, not gaining any money except that 1 given by the Merchant.
- If any other subsequent player plays the Merchant, he/she can sell any potion, even if the space of that potion is occupied by another cube (thus allowing the last player to sell even if he/she normally couldn't).

Remember that you play the Merchant card when it's up to you in the selling order (even if last), so you don't need to reveal it before.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hatton
Australia
Tamworth
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I always think about these types of questions is that cards break rules. If something is in the rulebook and the card doesn't agree with it the card is correct. A lot of people don't get this about games but the cards are aberrations of the rules.

If you have the Merchant card in a 2 player game then you can sell your potion no matter what.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
yep that's how it works in magic: the gathering. in the rules it even says, if a card clashes with a rule, the card overrides it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faso74it wrote:
When you play the merchant in 2p, you can sell even if you're not the first player to sell. That's it, and what's written on p.20 of the rules.


So it does, and thinking about, this would fix my biggest niggle with the 2 player game.

The sell action is way too tight without this.

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Galandil wrote:
Faso74it wrote:
When you play the merchant in 2p, you can sell even if you're not the first player to sell. That's it, and what's written on p.20 of the rules.


This.

Breaking it down in a step-by-step procedure:

- Everyone plays their discount cards, establishing the selling order.
- If the 1st player plays the Merchant, he/she gets 1 gold, even he doesn't match afterwards the guaranteed quality he offered, not gaining any money except that 1 given by the Merchant.
- If any other subsequent player plays the Merchant, he/she can sell any potion, even if the space of that potion is occupied by another cube (thus allowing the last player to sell even if he/she normally couldn't).

Remember that you play the Merchant card when it's up to you in the selling order (even if last), so you don't need to reveal it before.

If you plan on playing the Merchant in a 2p game and you don't care one way or the other if your opponent gets to sell, then you should bid a discount of 0. Chances are, your opponent will then sell and then you'll sell with the best possible profit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E K
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
There's still something unclear about Merchant:

Assume I offer a discount of -3 and I get to sell first. When choosing a level of guarantee, I have to choose the exact match, because the rules say I have to make profit while selling (would give me 4-3 = 1 gold). If I use the Merchant, can I choose to guarantee "correct sign"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Kummiseta wrote:
There's still something unclear about Merchant:

Assume I offer a discount of -3 and I get to sell first. When choosing a level of guarantee, I have to choose the exact match, because the rules say I have to make profit while selling (would give me 4-3 = 1 gold). If I use the Merchant, can I choose to guarantee "correct sign"?

No. The Merchant only guarantees to get you the sale. You would need the Barmaid in order to do what you're suggesting. It's the Barmaid that allows you to boost your sale by 1 level.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poulsen
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Kummiseta wrote:
There's still something unclear about Merchant:

Assume I offer a discount of -3 and I get to sell first. When choosing a level of guarantee, I have to choose the exact match, because the rules say I have to make profit while selling (would give me 4-3 = 1 gold). If I use the Merchant, can I choose to guarantee "correct sign"?

No. The Merchant only guarantees to get you the sale. You would need the Barmaid in order to do what you're suggesting. It's the Barmaid that allows you to boost your sale by 1 level.


So just to be clear about this question. If you sell first using the merchant you will get an extra coin regardless of how the guarantee works out. So if I offer a discount of -3 I couldn't guarantee only matching the correct sign? I guess the question is when does the +1 coin from the merchant come into play? If the +1 coin comes into play during the sell then the math would work out like this: 3-3+1 = 1, so I could make the sale only guaranteeing to match the correct sign. If the +1 coin comes into play after the sell then the math would work out like this: 3-3 = 0 (which isn't allowed) so I would have to guarantee a perfect match with the sale.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Vincent
msg tools
actually I really hope that merchant can let the last player to sell a poison.
if not ,it will be useless cuz other favor cards almost can make u earn 1 gold at least while the timing to use
merchant is few.
yes the rulebook says that merchant can make more than one person to sell poison.

However,I think ,it onlys means e.g. in a 3 player game if u goes second u can sell whatever u want.
if u are the last one to sell.U don't even get a chance to sell poison,it means u don't have a turn to sell.
So u can't play the merchant when it's your turn to sell.

I really hope I can use merchant when I am the last one to sell,or this card is too weak.
But I don't agree with the explainations above.
Because no one actually tell us what dose it mean by "your turn to sell a poison"
I need an official FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McArthur
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mb
dicecc2011 wrote:
actually I really hope that merchant can let the last player to sell a poison.
if not ,it will be useless cuz other favor cards almost can make u earn 1 gold at least while the timing to use
merchant is few.
yes the rulebook says that merchant can make more than one person to sell poison.

However,I think ,it onlys means e.g. in a 3 player game if u goes second u can sell whatever u want.
if u are the last one to sell.U don't even get a chance to sell poison,it means u don't have a turn to sell.
So u can't play the merchant when it's your turn to sell.

I really hope I can use merchant when I am the last one to sell,or this card is too weak.
But I don't agree with the explainations above.
Because no one actually tell us what dose it mean by "your turn to sell a poison"
I need an official FAQ.


The English rules clearly state on Page 20 that the merchant lets you sell even when last.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.