Popular Tags: [View All]
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Couple questions about harrowed dudes:
Quote:
Rulebook, p.26:
When a dude with the Harrowed keyword is involved in a shootout, that dude can absorb more casualties than a normal dude. You can send a Harrowed dude home booted to cover one of the casualties you take in a shootout. Discarding a Harrowed dude covers two casualties, and acing a Harrowed dude covers three.
If a Harrowed dude in play gets aced by a card effect (that is, not in as a part of taking casualties in a shootout), discard that dude instead of acing them.

1. Harrowed + Kidnappin'
If my opponent tries to kidnap my harrowed dude and the shootout is a draw, if the solo harrowed dude is chosen as a casualty and goes home booted, do I still have to discard him to Kidnappin'?
More generally speaking, harrowed turns non-casualty ace effects (Coachwhip, Point Blank) into discards, but it doesn't turn discard effects (Elander Boldman, R&D Ranch) into go-home-booted?

2. Harrowed + Dr. Emanuel Ashbel
Quote:
Dr. Emanuel Ashbel
React: When a dude is aced, pull. If the pull is higher than the dude's value, discard them instead.

If my harrowed dude gets coachwhipped or pointblanked, can I use doctor's react ability before harrowed kicks in? That is, turn ace into discard, then turn discard into go-home-booted?

And a bonus question off-topic:

3. Faithful Hound can be used even if the dude weilding goods is Hidin' In Shadows, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricard Lopez
Spain
Carcaixent
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. According to the rules the harrowed dude is discarded by Kidnappin'. It is counterintuitive, though.
2. I guess the more general question here is: What resolves first: traits or reacts? I'm inclined to think traits resolve first. But I couldn't find any official ruling. I think this one is worth asking in alderac rule forum.
3. I would say yes. Hiding in the shadows protects only the dude, and Faithful Hound targets only the goods card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrowed only affects casualties, not being discarded or aced through other means. So...

1. You'd still have to discard him

2. You can use the Doc's ability, but Harrowed won't turn the discard into go-home-booted

3. Yes, because it targets the goods and not the dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Potallo wrote:
2. I guess the more general question here is: What resolves first: traits or reacts? I'm inclined to think traits resolve first. But I couldn't find any official ruling. I think this one is worth asking in alderac rule forum.

It's not a timing issue. Harrowed has no effect if a dude is being discarded by a card effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricard Lopez
Spain
Carcaixent
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Harrowed only affects casualties, not being discarded or aced through other means. So...

That's not correct. Rulebook p.26: If a Harrowed dude in play gets aced by a card effect (that is, not in as a part of taking casualties in a shootout), discard that dude instead of acing them.
Harrowed does affect being aced by other means than casualties.

bd flory wrote:
It's not a timing issue. Harrowed has no effect if a dude is being discarded by a card effect.

I was answering to the second question. A harrowed dude being aced by a card effect, such as Point Blank or Coachwhip. However, now that I think about it and to be consistent with the a Harrowed dude being discarded by Kidnappin', the doctor's ability won't change a thing. The dude will be discarded no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.