Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean O'Connor
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well balanced strategy game that tops the fun-per-buck scale. Ideal number of choices and degree of luck. God cards supply surprise and wonderful "take that" element. If you can delight in the urge to ring your opponents neck, this game is for you.
To win you must occupy 10 cities. You gain cities 2 ways. Success in battle or voyage. Win land battles by moving an equal number of soldiers by land into opponents adjacent city or by attacking with a majority of soldiers from adjacent sea (or land/sea combo) cities. Battle outcomes are predetermined except for the meddling of the gods. Voyages aren't easy. Your drawn tile must exactly match an open space with 2 adjacent tiles of which you have a combined majority of ships. If successful, add a soldier from your suppy and redeploy any of your standing soldiers and ships to newly settled city.
You can choose to resupply and redeploy instead of attacking or voyaging. Choose a total of three in any combination of god cards (you choose from which god(s) to seek favor), soldiers, or ships. If you possess the majority of temples on the board your resupply total increases to four.
God cards spread hi-jinks in their appropriate fields (sea-faring, battle, omnipotence.) You must always leave one soldier behind to guard each of your cities and at turns end may not have more than three soldiers or three ships on a city hex. Excess attacking forces return to their attacking cities. Your total supply of forces is somewhat tight - a good game element. You're also limited in the number of guard cards you may possess.
Pros: many balanced avenues to achieving victory; super "take that" factor available through god cards; nice controlled risk factor in voyages; very fun and replayable; CHEAP!
Cons: small board and pieces. This is a great game worthy of a deluxe edition.
Game duration is around an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small board & pieces is a PRO not a con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O'Connor
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The soldiers are prone to falling over. I think of this as the travel version and am hoping for something more substantial. A chess set analogy is apropos. Those happy with a miniature, lightweight plastic set will be satisfied. You could actually carry this game in one pant pocket. I'd prefer large silver and gold pieces with some heft. I like the graphics on the tiles, I just wish they were bigger to accommodate larger, more stable men and ships. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a solution that made them more stable, better looking while keeping everything in this small box:

Just glued them to 15mm plastic chips, spray painted the whole, and highlighted metallic parts.

BTW, I think you misunderstood a rule:
Quote:
You must always leave one soldier behind to guard each of your cities and at turns end may not have more than three soldiers or three ships on a city hex. Excess attacking forces return to their attacking cities.
The excess attacking forces are lost.

Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz-Benno Delonge
Germany
München
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, Sean, for getting back kindly to this old one. I didnt watch this page for some time and now was quite surprised to find a review on this that is only a few days old.
And thanks, Miguel, for the great pictures. I guess this will force me to spend some winter evening trying to paint my own Greeks - to uncertain results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to paint them. I just used clear glue to fasten my greeks to bingo chips. The chips are tinted but transparent, so you can still see the tile art underneath them. I was able to find two colours of chips that were similar to the game pieces, so the overall effect is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.