United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each player go through their turns seperately, or do all players go through each phase together?

For example, does player 1 take a coin, move on the rondel, do an action, then build, then gain historic persons all before player 2? OR

Do all players get a coin, then all players in turn order move on the rondel, then all players take their actions, then all build, then all gain historic persons OR

Do all players get a coin, then all players in turn order move on the rondel and immedilately execute thier action (before the next player moves), then all build, then all gain historic persons?

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
The way we've played it, each player takes a coin and then each player, in turn clockwise around the table, takes all their other actions.

I think technically each player should take their coin on their turn, but it's far easier to dish them all out at the start of the round.

My recollection is that each player has a descrete turn, and each takes the coin at the start of his turn. One thing we noticed was that most folks regulary forget to take their coin on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state that each nation should take their coins at the start of the round:

Quote:
At the start of each round of play (when the
player who started the game has his turn again)
each nation receives a coin from the bank.

It makes no actual difference to gameplay whether a player takes their coin at the start of the round rather than at the start of their turn. This leads me to believe that the designer chose the "at start of round" variant to help prevent players from forgetting to take their coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
The rules clearly state that each nation should take their coins at the start of the round:

Quote:
At the start of each round of play (when the
player who started the game has his turn again)
each nation receives a coin from the bank.

It makes no actual difference to gameplay whether a player takes their coin at the start of the round rather than at the start of their turn. This leads me to believe that the designer chose the "at start of round" variant to help prevent players from forgetting to take their coins.

It only matters when taking them at the start of the round leads to some players not getting one because the supply runs out. You are counter limited on coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
The way we've played it, each player takes a coin and then each player, in turn clockwise around the table, takes all their other actions.

I think technically each player should take their coin on their turn, but it's far easier to dish them all out at the start of the round.

The opposite is far easier for us. The coin cup acts as the "who's-turn-is-it" marker. Take a coin, take your turn, pass the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played that all players get the coin at the beginning of the first players turn. Then we go around with each player taking their complete turn (move on Rondel, perform action, build cities and gain personage).

It is just easier and quicker to give all of the players their coins at the same time and they really can't do anything with them until their turn any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
HisDivineShadow wrote:
It makes no actual difference to gameplay whether a player takes their coin at the start of the round rather than at the start of their turn.

It only matters when taking them at the start of the round leads to some players not getting one because the supply runs out. You are counter limited on coins.

I am curious how often (if ever) the supply of coins runs out. I understand that it is a "limited resource", but it seems that there would likely always be a coin available if players took their coin at the beginning of their turn, unless players were intentionally hoarding. The chance of there (unintentionally) not being enough coins with the simultaneous distribution would seem much higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having actually played the game a few times, I now see that it might be easy to run out of coins in a 5-6 player game. Even in my four-player games, the coin supply has run low. Since it is always better to spend a resource instead of a coin, depending on what you are doing, you can end up with a nice stack of coins on your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.