Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flute of the Elder Gods and Epic Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaidyn Casey
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I am curious about the Flute of the Elder Gods artifact. Hopefully I could get some help with some understanding.

According to the Reference Guide on pg. 6, it says under Epic Monster:

"An Epic Monster cannot be defeated by any effect except losing Health equal to or greater than its toughness."

Now one of the people I was playing with was trying to insist that Shub-Niggurath was defeated by use of "Flute of the Elder Gods" which says
(as an action: ) Spend 2 Health and 2 Sanity to defeat all monsters on your space."

She was on a space with Shub, and her logic was that since the card wasn't implying something like a discard, but an actual "defeat", that would seem to imply Shubs toughness was surpassed, and all health gone hence a valid defeat.
Is she right that FothEG can defeat Shub (or any Epic), or does that card ONLY work for non-Epic monsters?

Thank you in advance. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaidyn Casey
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
JonBen wrote:
Your friend was wrong.

Thank you.

That is what I was thinking as well. So the only way to defeat any Epic is actually to engage in Will and/or Combat tests with it. Any card or other effect that would discard/defeat a normal monster never applies to an Epic. Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaidyn wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Your friend was wrong.

Thank you.

That is what I was thinking as well. So the only way to defeat any Epic is actually to engage in Will and/or Combat tests with it. Any card or other effect that would discard/defeat a normal monster never applies to an Epic. Is that correct?

Correct. You can damage them with effects, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other ways to do damage to an epic-monster aside from going toe-to-toe with it. But any effect that instructs you to discard or defeat a monster cannot be used on an epic-monster unless specifically stated (which none of them do AFAIK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaidyn Casey
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:
jaidyn wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Your friend was wrong.

Thank you.

Correct. You can damage them with effects, but that's it.

Awesome! Thank you kindly for the confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.