Hide
22 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Netrunner and LCG question(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Stevens
msg tools
First of all, I hope this has not been asked before...

I'm very new to LCG and was wondering of a good beginner game? Would Netrunner be a good start as I love the cyberpunk genre? It seems a bit daunting though...

Secondly, does anyone know of any good tutorial videos that REALLY explain how to play? Everyone I've seen makes me more confused...

Thanks in advance,
gquiller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Netrunner and LVC question(s)
Hmm. I don't know what LVC is?

But I can assure you that Netrunner is an awesome game! There are videos on Fantasy Flight's website that give a pretty good overview of how it works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stevens
msg tools
jakodrako wrote:
Hmm. I don't know what LVC is?

Thanks! I meant LCG (Living Card Game-correct me if I'm wrong)

I tried the site and made me more confused... Maybe it's me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think netrunner can be a bit complicated, and my only other experience with LCGs is Lord of the Rings (but i played star wars: ccg, magic, and a few others way back in the 90s)

i'd say it's definitely a bit more complicated. there are a lot of nuances to the game and implications with certain cards that aren't immediately apparent at first read (even when you do know what you're doing)

that said, if you like the genre, you'll have an invested interest to get to know the game.

do you know anyone in your area that has the game that you can play a few intro games with? i would highly suggest that (with or without watching videos)

as far as tutorial videos go though, i like the official FFG video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

i also like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3w0B7txipk

ideally i would suggest watching the videos to see if it might be too complicated for you (you might need to watch them several times)
then play a few games, go back to the videos, and eventually you'll get the hang of it.

if you don't know anyone who has the game already, there's a programme called OCTGN where you can play against others without having the buy the game first (that's a whole other thing altogether, but i'm sure you can find instructions for how to download and set it up online).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Okay, yes of course.

Hmm. Well so all of the LCGs are very different from each other. I would say that which one you want to play depends on the gameplay and theme aspects of each. Play the one you like! In general though, LCGs are pretty great because you always get what you pay for - a full play set of every card available (except in the case of the Core Set, which is tailored for a beginner experience).

For Netrunner specifically, some of the appeal it has is the asymmetry, the cyberpunk theme (this game is extremely flavorful), and (at least for me) the very action-driven nature of it. The game doesn't rely on phases as heavily as some other strategy card games, so play-to-play strategy is heavily emphasized here.

As far as learning, I'm afraid I don't know of any other video tutorials or anything. Have you read the rulebook yet? If you're having trouble understanding a particular part of the game, I (and plenty others here) would be more than glad to help you out as best you can! There are also new player guides here on BGG that you might want to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Netrunner's biggest barrier to learning is definitely its lingo. There's a ton of terminology to learn, but other than that, it's a pretty straightforward game. If you've played Magic the Gathering, you can play Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
The terminology is definitely a barrier, but the game is immersive because of that. As others have said, Netrunner is a great game. It is also asymmetric, which can be refreshing. The asymmetry also gives the game depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner is my favorite LCG. Great theme and gameplay that is unrivaled. It is not an easy game to play or learn though unfortunately. It's almost always better to just learn from someone who already knows how to play.

I know this is a netrunner forum, but I'm gonna say Conquest 40k might be a better choice if you've never played a LCG before (if that theme has any appeal to you at all).

It's just starting so the card pool is much smaller so deckbuilding is easier and it's cheaper to be "current" in the game. Plus the warlord/sig squad design and allies wheel makes deckbuilding much more approachable for new players. Netrunner has a very open system for deckbuilding, which can be a bit brain burny for new players.

Also the rule set is much easier to learn. It's rules are written much better than past LCGs (FFG has learned alot about rules writing over the years). The rules themselves are much more concrete. Netrunner has alot of interactions that need clarification so a FAQ for the game is often updated with new rules interactions. The timing structure of a turn and a run for Netrunner are more complicated than Conquest, which has well defined action windows.

Also it was written after FFGs new policy on set rotation so it's being written with that in mind, which means that the transition to set rotation will probably be smoother for that game (though it's years off anyway).

It's my understanding (I don't play the SW LCG) that the Star Wars LCG was written with new LCG players in mind since it's IP has a broad appeal. Also the Game of Thrones LCG is about to be rebooted so it's a nice time to jump on board with that one since it's meta game will be reset and the card pool will snap back to just a core set, which means you will be more on a level playing field with established Thrones players.

Ultimately though the most important thing is that you have people to play with, and that really will steer your decision. Does your FLGS have an LCG crowd. If so find out what games they are playing. Otherwise you'll need to grow your own playerbase, which can be challenging. Netrunner is a very popular LCG so if there is an LCG crowd in your area it's pretty likely they will play Netrunner so that is a feather in Netrunners cap.

A game like Netrunner needs more than 2 players in the pool to keep it interesting since there is lots of hidden information in the game (as well as lots of playstyles). The deckbuilding also is a huge part of the experience. You kind of need a group of people all at the same interest level. The LOTRs LCG is a coop game. If you plan on playing with friends who are casually interested that might be a good one to pick up because you can help each other rather than be in direct competition. Your higher skill level would be a boon rather than a hinderance to the play experience, and you could create decks for them rather than force them to learn the card pool and deckbuild. Netrunner doesn't really support that since you'll have a definite advantage over the casual players, which can negatively impact the play experience. Also you don't have to worry about buying all the packs since you don't need to stay current to be competitive. You can just pick up the packs you want to make your games more interesting.

I can't really recommend the CoC LCG. I've never played it, but FFG rarely updates the game and it's playerbase can be pretty hard to find since it's pretty old at this point. The only reason I can see to pick that game up is if you know of a group that actively plays CoC LGC in your area. If you want to play a CoC themed game with casual players one of FFGs Cthulhu boardgames would be a better choice IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mean to hijack here, but is there a decent example of play anywhere on-line? (preferably not a video?).

Me & my partner are both long time MtG players looking for something a little less wallet rapey, picked this up but I just can't follow the rulebook (and this is coming from an ASL player :/ ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stevens
msg tools
jakodrako wrote:
If you're having trouble understanding a particular part of the game, I (and plenty others here) would be more than glad to help you out as best you can! There are also new player guides here on BGG that you might want to check out.

Now I know why this is a such a great site. There is a beginner class at my comic shop on Tuesday, so I'll be going to that definitely.

Also, could you please direct me to the player guides you speak of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gquiller wrote:
jakodrako wrote:
If you're having trouble understanding a particular part of the game, I (and plenty others here) would be more than glad to help you out as best you can! There are also new player guides here on BGG that you might want to check out.

Now I know why this is a such a great site. There is a beginner class at my comic shop on Tuesday, so I'll be going to that definitely.

Also, could you please direct me to the player guides you speak of...

If you check out the information section for Netrunner right here on BGG, there are some resources there. Another good place to look is on the sidebar for the Netrunner subreddit. Hope those resources help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Covenant's youtube channel has lots of videos of tournament games over the years so you can see a real game getting played.

The file section on this board also has quite a few resources for beginners:
Here is a nice quick reference sheet for the icons and deck building restrictions:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100614/android-netrunner-s...

This explains the run structure in a more readable format:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96384/slightly-reformatted...

This gives you a good overview of the game if you need an introduction:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96467/android-netrunner-in...

This is a concise reference sheet for lingo and timing structure of the game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94465/concise-reference-sh...

This one is a very nice concisely written rulebook for the game. If you are having trouble following the FFG rulebook I'd look at this since it folds it down to only a couple pages:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91272/universal-head-andro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deathninja wrote:
Don't mean to hijack here, but is there a decent example of play anywhere on-line? (preferably not a video?).

Me & my partner are both long time MtG players looking for something a little less wallet rapey, picked this up but I just can't follow the rulebook (and this is coming from an ASL player :/ ).

Since you already have a copy, I would be happy to walk you through the basics. Send me a PM if you're interested and we'll set up a time to meet on Skype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stevens
msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
I know this is a netrunner forum, but I'm gonna say Conquest 40k might be a better choice if you've never played a LCG before (if that theme has any appeal to you at all).

It's just starting so the card pool is much smaller so deckbuilding is easier and it's cheaper to be "current" in the game. Plus the warlord/sig squad design and allies wheel makes deckbuilding much more approachable for new players. Netrunner has a very open system for deckbuilding, which can be a bit brain burny for new players.IMO.

I just got back from my local card & comic shop. I liked what I saw of Warhammer, so I may pose the question there?

Thanks to you all!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
phillosmaster wrote:
...A game like Netrunner needs more than 2 players in the pool to keep it interesting since there is lots of hidden information in the game (as well as lots of playstyles)...

Although you made a very good post, I have to disagree on this one point. I played Netrunner with my GF exclusively for many months and the 'mind game' doesn't go away, it simply changes. When you know the other person's quirks you can play on/against them in a way you cannot do with strangers.
Netrunner is an excellent 'couples' game IMO, but as you stated, if one of the 2 people playing it, groks it much faster than the other, the other person is going to be left in the dust. Netrunner is a game of skill first and foremost, which is the achilles heel of playing it two people, but the mind games and the bluffing itself does not suffer, it merely changes character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stevens
msg tools
One more question(s), what do I need to be somewhat competitive at Netrunner. I don't wish to break the bank, yet it would be nice to have a fighting chance against a runner or corporation?

Are the expansions need? Data packs? Any greater than the other...

More importantly, do you have to have a deck of each to play (corp & runner)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gquiller wrote:
One more question(s), what do I need to be somewhat competitive at Netrunner. I don't wish to break the bank, yet it would be nice to have a fighting chance against a runner or corporation?

Are the expansions need? Data packs? Any greater than the other...

More importantly, do you have to have a deck of each to play (corp & runner)?

Yes, you need to have a deck for each side in order to play competitively. At a tournament, you will be matched with an opponent, and randomly determine who gets to pick their side. If you finish the first game before time is called, you switch sides and play again.

In order to maximize your options, you'll want to have one of everything: a core set, every datapack, and each deluxe expansion. If you know which factions you're going to be playing, you might be able to skip the deluxe expansions that don't cover those factions, but not necessarily. Even if you don't plan on playing Shapers or HB, I still recommend Creation & Control for the "splash-able" cards.

Of course, one of everything is going to run you $300+, so you probably don't want to go get it all at once. If you pick up one datapack every week or two, and a deluxe box between each cycle, you'll be caught up within a year.

Once you have one of everything, if you feel like you need to, you can consider picking up a second or even third core set, for the few cards that only come with one or two copies. Personally, I don't feel the need for it, but the top-tier players do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a second Core set is a good (but not essential) purchase for competetive play. Some people would disagree and say that a second is essential and a third is desirable; but these people are typically playing with 3x Desperado and 3x SanSan City Grid. While these cards are indeed excellent, they're not required in every competetive deck.

I do think though that the extra deckbuilding options afforded by a second Core set are very much worth it - even if you're not looking for the extra copies of Consoles, getting the third Corroder/Femme/Astro/Scorch are definitely worth having for certain decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
CommissarFeesh wrote:
I do think though that the extra deckbuilding options afforded by a second Core set are very much worth it - even if you're not looking for the extra copies of Consoles, getting the third Corroder/Femme/Astro/Scorch are definitely worth having for certain decks.

on the third Scorch devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Netrunner is a simple game conceptually. You try to hack servers by getting past the "walls" the corporation puts in your way to steal Agendas before the cooperation can score them. The complexity is centered around getting through walls and a shell game where the agendas in those servers might instead be traps. The game involves a lot of strategic thinking, deck building, and bluffing.

The main barriers to entry are learning the lingo if you've already played a card game like mtg; realizing that cards in netrunner are much more permanent, as in each player is constantly building and advancing board state (it is rare for any card that is played to go away); and getting used to getting everything you need done in a set number of actions.

The rewards of the game are high, but the game is not for everyone. I've met people who shouldn't play the game and I've met people who I wish would try it because I know they'd get hooked. Without knowing you its difficult.

The best path to figuring it out is to find someone whose willing to do a demo. Videos, rule books, and literature are the worst way to approach this game at first.

A good demo starts with a corp and runner partially set up. The person explaining the game explains the concepts of servers and allows the new player to make runs. During these runs you usually stack each server so that scoring an agenda is possible or hitting a trap is reliable. You can explain almost every concept in the game with a single runner turn where you walk the runner through a run, ice types, breakers, and have them worry about their money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cable
msg tools
This is a great tutorial form some guys that really like the game. It is also an experienced player explaining the game to a new player, so it's the perspective you're looking for

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-netrunner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Liesander wrote:
This is a great tutorial form some guys that really like the game. It is also an experienced player explaining the game to a new player, so it's the perspective you're looking for

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-netrunner...

Oh, damn, they finally did it. I've gotta watch this.

(I already know its good and I haven't even watched it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.