Subject: Kickstarter Retailer Level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Brown

Portland
OR - Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question for those game designers/companies that do Kickstarter. What goes into deciding to have a Retailer level? I do the ordering for a FLGS and have full power to Kickstart things at the level, but noticed that many games that I want to Kickstart don't offer that level. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've not created any Kickstarters, but I've done a fair amount of research on them. And I think it just comes down to creator intent, and how thoroughly they've planned the backing levels.

Having a retailer level can ensure a lot of early backing money on KS, which is a great momentum-builder, and also gives the retailers access to KS-only exclusives, which will then help them sell their copies. But the time involved in contacting potential retailer backers (which is a must), setting up a specific and financially-viable backer level for them, and handling fulfillment is beyond some creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown

Portland
OR - Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark! I suspected that it was mostly due to finding a financially-viable level for them. After completing many of the retailer level surveys, they don't seem to be that much more to them than the other levels. Often, they just ask for a website proving that you are indeed a brick and mortar store. Thanks again for responding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I suspect some of it just has to do with awareness as well. Had I not done some pretty intense research some months back, doing this would never have occurred to me. Even financially savvy creators - and many AREN'T financially savvy - can overlook aspects of their business model that are genre-specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.