United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Tuscany set of expansions suitable to teach/play at a gaming convention? If so, which expansion(s) would you use?

I ask this because part of the charm of a legacy game is to gradually work in expansions over time with the same group of players, but this situation does not exist at a gaming convention.

TIA

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think of Tuscany more as a modular expansion than a legacy-style expansion, and as such have no trouble recommending playing it new players. Certain aspects of Tuscany simply make Viticulture a better game and I will no longer play without them.

The Extended Board provides a few more options (Trading, Selling single wine token) that can mitigate the randomness of drawn cards, and gets rid of the silly maximum point limit. The added complexity is minimal, and anyone who could understand Viticulture will do fine with the extended board.

The Advanced Visitors replace many of the original visitors and make for more versatile cards in both the beginning and end of the game. I'm honestly considering throwing away the original visitor cards.

The Mamas and Papas are a fun and simple way to have variable starts. I personally deal two of each type and let people decide. Think of it as deciding between your parents inheritance and your in-laws inheritance.

I still need to try out a lot of the other modules, but the three I've listed could easily work for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New Visitors and the Advanced Visitors are not a permanent part of my deck.

However, for people prone to analysis paralysis, the 14 worker locations in the base game are already overwhelming. Adding four more, and all those additional rewards, plus the additional source of points from influence, will slow the game down even more. I would not use the extended board with new players unless I was very familiar with their game style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
God help me, I'm going to try to run this at Whos Yer Con. Please send me some positive thoughts. I'm also doing Bora Bora, Amerigo, Brugge, Castles of Burgundy, and AquaSphere. It was going to be all Stefan Feld, but Viticulture was so good, I decided to throw that in the mix. Wish me luck.

With Viticulture, I think I will use the expanded board, with Advanced Visitors and without the orange structure cards. For me, having the seasons laid out in spring, summer, fall, and winter columns really helped me visualize the game. I don't think I'll use mama's and papa's, because it makes players choose something at the beginning of the game before they've learned it.

That's about it for expansions I plan to bring. What do you think?

Loren

(p.s. We will "not play without" some of the expansions also. I think they did an excellent job with them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'd also like to know if you think there is anything else in Tuscany I should add? Thanks.

Loren

lorenoverby wrote:
God help me, I'm going to try to run this at Whos Yer Con. Please send me some positive thoughts. I'm also doing Bora Bora, Amerigo, Brugge, Castles of Burgundy, and AquaSphere. It was going to be all Stefan Feld, but Viticulture was so good, I decided to throw that in the mix. Wish me luck.

With Viticulture, I think I will use the expanded board, with Advanced Visitors and without the orange structure cards. For me, having the seasons laid out in spring, summer, fall, and winter columns really helped me visualize the game. I don't think I'll use mama's and papa's, because it makes players choose something at the beginning of the game before they've learned it.

That's about it for expansions I plan to bring. What do you think?

Loren

(p.s. We will "not play without" some of the expansions also. I think they did an excellent job with them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.