Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of Machi Koro, and here are my impressions.

Before I start, I should note: I played with 2 players. Before buying the game, I had seen/heard a lot of people (especially on Twitter) raving about the game, talking about how great it was and all that. And I had heard 1 or 2 people compare it to The Settlers of Catan. My sister got the game before me, and she told me it was cute and simple and fun.

Okay, here we go:
•Machi Koro was less exciting than I expected. The simple mechanics made for short turns that, even when gaining a lot of coins, didn't feel all that satisfying.

•I love the artwork.

•While choosing which buildings to buy, it honestly never felt all that satisfying, because every building essentially does the same thing: Gives you some amount of coins. This lack of variety/diversity in the cards was again, not very satisfying.

•Building Landmarks never felt all that important except as a way to win the game. The Train Station's effect is the only one that I found to be especially important. The others just kind of felt like nice afterthoughts, but if they weren't required to win the game, I don't think I would have bothered to build some of them.

•I already mentioned that turns were short. Turns went by so fast sometimes that I almost forgot whose turn it was.

•Another thing I realized is that, early on in the game, one player can get ahead very quickly, but the opponent may continuously roll and get a useless result. In other words, the luck factor is very high in this game, especially in the beginning.

I like Machi Koro, but it's just so simple. I wish there was more depth to it, I wish there was more variety and diversity in what the cards (buildings) do. I still need to try it with 3-4 players and see how it plays, but at the moment, I'm not impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it a few days ago, haven't played it yet, just tested to learn the mechanics. I agree that it is bit boring that all cards do the same: reward with coins. It would be great to have some other actions like in San Juan, i. e. remove a building, etc.

I agree that it feels a bit like a mix of Catan and San Juan, minus the trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Bought it a few days ago, haven't played it yet, just tested to learn the mechanics. I agree that it is bit boring that all cards do the same: reward with coins. It would be great to have some other actions like in San Juan, i. e. remove a building, etc.

I agree that it feels a bit like a mix of Catan and San Juan, minus the trading.

I haven't played San Juan, I'll check it out when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is a great little game. It is all about combining your buildings/cards to maximize their effect (i. e. double action allowed, draw extra cards, pay less for a new building etc.). I'd say it is almost comparable to a deck-building game. The iOS app is well-designed, maybe you want to start with that? But I still prefer the real version over the app.

In regards to Machi Koro: What do the expansions do? Maybe these have cards with other effects/actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Machi Koro based on a co-workers suggestion. The first few times I played it I really enjoyed it, but then the cracks in the seams started to show and I have a lot of the same feelings about the game that you described.

I'm planning on picking up The Harbor expansion in hopes that it takes a fairly meh game and turns it into one that we'll enjoy playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rebubula423 wrote:
I picked up Machi Koro based on a co-workers suggestion. The first few times I played it I really enjoyed it, but then the cracks in the seams started to show and I have a lot of the same feelings about the game that you described.

I'm planning on picking up The Harbor expansion in hopes that it takes a fairly meh game and turns it into one that we'll enjoy playing.

I hope the expansions does this for me as well.

Carl, your thoughts are exactly how I felt after my first play too. I am feeling pretty optimistic the Harbor expansion will turn it into a more enjoyable game. Just wished it wasn't delayed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebubula423 wrote:

The expansion changes everything about the game.

We played 5 handed yesterday, which of course, we couldn't have done before. We played once with the old way of just having a static supply deck of a mix of old and new cards available just to try out some of the new cards.

As usual, my son and husband created pretty good engines and ran away with it early. The other 2 players, my other son and his husband have barely played it, so they were just getting used to things when the game was over.

Then we played another game using the new rules of shuffling all the cards together and doing random supply replacing them as cards were purchased. Wow that changes everything. No longer is an easy engine created in just a few turns of the dice. Now it's a bit of a grind and wow the attacks were just crazy.

Seemed much more lively to me as ever time someone rolled the dice where was money changing hands. No down time at all which can be a problem with say Dominion.

It was a lot more fun having a lot more money but at the same time on edge that someone was going to steal 1/2 of it (tax card). The purple cards really change the landscape of the game now, whereas in the past most of the time they were passed over.

Our game was much longer than normal, but that was welcomed. This has now gone from a light filler to a game I can see being a staple game for game night.

And...we had no idea who was going to win until the last roll of the dice. Three of the 5 were like 5 coins away from also winning, so it made for a very competitive game.

We all wanted to play it again immediately, unlike the old Machi Koro were after one game, I felt like it was okay, but ready to move on to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
townsean wrote:
[q="rebubula423"]Just wished it wasn't delayed

It's pretty widely available.

I bought it locally and cancelled my online order as I was tired of waiting with no update, etc. It was a wash with not having to pay shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.