Subject: Custom Hero - Magnificent Mara rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Mara was a third rate magician who came into possession of some artifacts of true magical power. It couldn't save her act, great tricks don't make up for bad presentation, so she found a different calling.

She's an interesting support and does a lot of stuff just a bit different than other heroes.

Magnificent Mara
27hp
Pull the String
Power: Magnificent Mara deals 1 target 1 psychic damage. That target deals another target 1 melee damage.

Incapacitated abilities:

-One hero may put a card from their trash on top of their deck
-Destroy an ongoing card.
-Select a Target. Until the start of your turn that target is immune to damage from Environment cards.

Ongoing

3 Post-Hypnotic Cue
Ongoing
Play this card next to a Hero Character Card.
When this card is destroyed, that hero may use a power.
At the start of your turn you may destroy this card.
(Expat shooting at a bird)
"I don't know why, I saw the bird and shot at it." Expat, Watch the Birdie one-shot.

3 Abracadabra!
Ongoing
Whenever a non-character card belonging to another hero is destroyed, you may return it to that player’s hand. If you do destroy this card.
When this card is destroyed, one player may play a card.
(Mara holding the Legacy Ring on one finger)
"How could it be, Baron Blade destroyed it. . ." Legacy, Carnival of Heroes #17

3 Improbable Escape
Ongoing
When a hero character is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, restore that Hero to 2 HP, then destroy this card.
When this card or any of your ongoing cards are destroyed, you may draw a card.
(Absolute Zero, Armor scorched and smoking)
"I don't know how I survived; I woke up outside the furnace." Absolute Zero, Carnival of Heroes #14

2 Hand is Faster than the eye.
Ongoing
The first time a non-relic, non-character villain card would activate start of turn or end of turn text, destroy it instead, then destroy this card.
(Drone exploding in background, Mara holding a pin)
"Well, looks like he did need that." Magnificent Mara, Carnival of Heroes #3

3 Smoke and Mirrors
Ongoing
When a hero target would be dealt damage, you may prevent that damage. If you do destroy this card.
(Blade with his Death Ray and a broken Mirror)
"More Tricks? I'll find you yet!" Baron Blade, Carnival of Heroes #16

3 Mystical Enhancement
Ongoing
Play this card next to a card with a power on it. Increase damage dealt by that power by 1. If that card would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.
(Mara carving Sagittarius symbol on AZs Arm, it glows silver-red)
"Well you are a Sagittarius, and your chief element. . . It means more fire." Magnificent Mara, Carnival of Heroes #5

One Shots

2 Convincing Double
One Shot
Select a player, that player passes a one-shot card to another player. Then the other player puts that card into play, treating any hero name on the card as the name of their hero instead.
(Baron Blade holding the vial over Legacy look alike, Legacy behind him)
"But how could this not be working? Unless. . ." Baron Blade, Carnival of Heroes #11

3 Looking for this?
One Shot
A hero may return one of their non-character cards in play to their hand. If they do, that Hero may put a card that shares a keyword with the returned card into play from their trash.
(Mara pulling a pipe Wrench from behind Fixer's ear)
"It was right there, behind your ear." Magnificent Mara, Watch the Birdie one-shot.

3 Mix it up
One-Shot
Destroy a Hero Ongoing, Equipment, or Environment card. Reveal the top 2 cards of the associated deck. Put one into play and discard the other.
(T-Rex face right next to Enforcers)
"Th-that wa-wasn't here j-just a mo-moment ago!" Goon #3, Carnival of Heroes #23

3 Misdirection
One-Shot
Magnificent Mara deals a target 1 sonic damage. One other hero target deals that same target 2 damage of a type of their choosing.
(Mara waving while Thug gets clocked by Knuckles)
"Yoo-Hoo Over here!" {Thud}
"They always fall for that" Magnificent Mara, Rook City Circus One-shot.

4 Glimpse of things to come.
One Shot
Reveal the top card of a Villain deck, then replace it.
You may Draw a card.
You may Play a card.
(Mara looking down an alley, seeing thug outlines hiding behind things)
"On second thought, let's find another route in." Magnificent Mara, Rook City Circus One-Shot

Equipment

2 Mesmer Pendant
Equipment, Relic, Limited
Play this card next to a non-character target. On that card:
Treat the words "Hero Target" and "Hero Ongoing" as "Villain Target" and "Villain Ongoing" instead.
Treat the words "Non-Villain target" as "Non-Hero target" instead.
At the start of you turn destroy this card.
(Citizen Anvil on fire)
"Hammer What are you doing? It's me!" Citizen Anvil, Carnival of Heroes #20

2 Kalpak of Mysteries
Equipment, Relic
Power: Reveal the top card of each other hero's deck. One player may put their revealed card into their hand or into play. Replace or discard the other cards. If a card is put in play this way destroy this card.
(The Scholar looking into Kalpak held by Mara)
"I don't even know what's in there." Magnificent Mara, Watch the Birdie one-shot.

2 Wand of Banishment
Equipment, Relic
When a non-character card from another deck would be destroyed, you may put it on the top or bottom of its deck instead. If you do destroy this card.
(crashing MDP disappearing in magical effect from Mara's wand)
"And, it's gone!" Magnificent Mara, Carnival of Heroes #12

2 Dowsing Crystal
Equipment, Relic
Power: The next time a Villain Card enters play, one hero may deal a target 2 damage of a type of their choosing. You may destroy this card to increase that damage by 2.
(Mara pointing down an alley, Crystal pointing that way)
"They'll come that way, be ready." Magnificent Mara, Rook City Circus One Shot.

EDIT: Feb/24/2016: Changed Abracadabra and reworded Dowsing Crystal.
Feb/27/2016: Changed Looking for this? and Mix it up to get rid of some bad interactions and standardize wordings.
Mar/6/2016: Amulet of Suggestion becomes Mesmer Pendant, Abracadabra gets tweaked again, now lets one player play a card when destroyed, and Misdirection now lets the second hero choose the damage type just like Dowsing Crystal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some cool stuff. Random comments and thoughts:
- Implanted Orders: great effect, weird name.

- Abracadabra: great effect, supremely useful. I'd clarify whether it can target itself. If not, have you considered making the draw happen whenever it's destroyed, so that it's not a waste if it's the only card out and gets destroyed?

- Improbable Escape: seems situational almost to the point of uselessness, not that those kinds of cards are necessarily bad.

- Hand is faster: great effect, very clear trigger.

- Smoke and Mirrors: seems decent.

- Mystical Enhancement: useful.

- Altered Abilities: name doesn't quite seem to fit; also confused by the "may"; what happens if the second player just keeps it? Seems like it should be mandatory to play it.

- Looking for this: great recovery for key setup cards.

- Mix it up: given the fickle nature of top-decking and the cost you pay, this seems like a very bad return on investment most of the time (even against the environment).

- Misdirection: very thematic, although seems a bit out of place since she has no way to really synergize with it.

- Glimpse of things to come: awesome and simple.

- Amulet: very succinct, great effect.

- Kalpak: another great recovery effect after losing key stuff.

- Wand of Banishment: bit situational; either really powerful or completely useless depending on the villain.

- Pendant of Guidance: seems a little weak, also should it only destroy itself if you trigger the effect? If so it gets a little better.

Overall not sure I can pick out her theme; she seems like the absolute best hero for recovering from card wipes, except she has no way to draw through her own deck, a lot of her cards are very situational, and she doesn't have a way to get heroes to their good cards (to ensure that they'll have something you want to recover). Feels like she's missing 1 or 2 permanent setup cards and 1 or 2 deck cycling cards (for herself and/or the team) to really make use of a lot of her potential (especially an alternate power for herself, because there's a lot of times when 1 damage isn't useful).

All comments to be taken with the salt of having not played her, and intended constructively. Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
As a disclaimer I'm pretty terrible at coming up with card names.

tosx wrote:
- Implanted Orders: great effect, weird name.

Implanted orders really wanted to be Suggestion, but that name was taken. The idea is a post-hypnotic suggestion triggered by a keyword. That power is her best one.

tosx wrote:
- Altered Abilities: name doesn't quite seem to fit; also confused by the "may"; what happens if the second player just keeps it? Seems like it should be mandatory to play it.

Changed to make it mandatory. Name is all I could come up with.

tosx wrote:
- Mix it up: given the fickle nature of top-decking and the cost you pay, this seems like a very bad return on investment most of the time (even against the environment).

Mostly it gets used against the environment, but it also works well to get rid of other heroes cards that have served their purpose. It is situational, but it is good enough of the time to be worth it. A buff to reveal the top 2 cards, put one into play and one in the trash would give it a lot more umph though.

tosx wrote:
- Pendant of Guidance: seems a little weak, also should it only destroy itself if you trigger the effect? If so it gets a little better.

Fixed trigger. It originally allowed a power use, but that was too good. I'll work on it. With some of the other changes I've made the power might not be too much now.

I had some interior synergy originally but she was far too powerful. The only real combo left is Implanted Orders and Mystical enhancement, which is cool, but not huge.

Her base power isn't strong at all, but the second part doesn't require the first damage to actually be dealt, and making a villain deal damage to a target of your choice is often powerful enough that I don't want to increase it.

It is on par with Fanatic's base power, and Absolution plays the same role as Implanted for Mara, as the power that most of the time is going to be better.

I think I will add some extra card draw to her deck, that got cut over time, and she could use a bit to fuel Orders.

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
For Implanted Orders: what about Mesmer, Mesmerize, Hypnotize, or Hypnosis?
For Altered Abilities: Impersonate, Mirror Move (sorry pkmn), Disguise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Could implated orders be renamed "Triggered Suggestion"? Would that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I think I'll go with Post-Hypnotic Cue as the title, as that is the term for the event that triggers the implanted suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Implanted Orders is an awesome title. I wouldn't change it.

However, if so many people are clamoring for the change, perhaps it would fit more of a spy than a stage magician.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Implanted Orders is an awesome title. I wouldn't change it.

However, if so many people are clamoring for the change, perhaps it would fit more of a spy than a stage magician.

That just gave me a great idea for a hero. (a spy that is going rogue but has implanted orders he can't ignore)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like the sound of this hero..

A question about this card:
Phantaskippy wrote:
3 Mix it up
One-Shot
Destroy a card from a non-villain deck, reveal the top 2 cards of the same deck, put one into play and discard the other.

Would you be destroying "the top card?" Otherwise you would be searching through the deck? And then shuffling and revealing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiphead wrote:

I really like the sound of this hero..

A question about this card:
Phantaskippy wrote:
3 Mix it up
One-Shot
Destroy a card from a non-villain deck, reveal the top 2 cards of the same deck, put one into play and discard the other.

Would you be destroying "the top card?" Otherwise you would be searching through the deck? And then shuffling and revealing?

Sentinels is usually pretty specific about its terminology - "destroy" always means "move a card currently in play to the trash/discard area."

It's a way of removing an effect/minion that you don't want out, but you'll replace it with something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
It can get rid of nasty environment cards, and it can also destroy a no longer useful hero card and give that hero a card in play from their deck.

This deck in playtesting has been really strong, and may get weakened a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Barker
msg tools
mb
How about

Mix it up
One-Shot
Destroy a non-villain card, reveal the top 2 cards of the associated deck, put one into play and discard the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
That wording is clearer, changed and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Dunno if you're still tweaking this deck, and still haven't played it, but some additional comments from looking at it with a randomizer:
- Her only card draw is Improbable Escape's secondary effect (and that is situational).
- She only has 2 powers and the 'better' one requires a discard.
- A lot of her one-shots are pretty situational.

You commented that she was overpowered, but it seems like she can easily wind up with no hand or a hand of destruction-recovery cards when nothing's been destroyed, and have to start skipping turns to regain relevance.

On the other hand, Convincing Double could lead to really broken combos. Like playing Pushing the Limits and/or Swift Bot on the Scholar. Was it supposed to only work with One-shots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't updated here, but she has had some play, and is the favorite of my decks right now.

Convincing Double should be limited to one-shots, will edit that. It is still really powerful, the out of turn card play is strong, even without the shenanigans available.

Otherwise, some changes I have gone back and forth on:

1. Post-Hypnotic Cue: put the power use first then "either discard a card or destroy this card."

2. Adding an equip search, 4 copies and all equip drop to 1 copy.

3. Changing Abra-Cadabra to be when a card enters the trash instead of being destroyed. (That would be really powerful)

I really don't want a search.

I would compare her to Visionary/Fanatic in feel and power level.

I use Escape a lot, as she can destroy her own cards so often, the card draw is great.

But then other games if they attack your hand she is not much help.

That is intentional, because she started out an experiment in making a support without card draw, healing, or damage boosts. It morphed into more of just finding different ways to do it.

She is really complex to play, as you often have a ton of options and really need to know the game to maximize her.

Thanks for the interest in her, I haven't given up on my custom's, I just haven't got finances to get my computer going to get them turned into cards. (Boo real life)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I like decks without search cards and I don't think hers is wanting for one. Improbable Escape is a cool way to draw but with only 2 copies it doesn't seem like you can count on finding it.

She seems like she could benefit from a few things:
1. Ways to get additional hero cards into the trash, so that her recovery cards can do something if the villain isn't going after your stuff.
2. An additional copy of Improbable Escape or adding another draw-type-effect to 2 of her other cards (anything to net cards in hand).
3. Have you considered moving Hypnotic Cue's discard to the affected hero? That would help with both 1 & 2.

Still haven't played her, so just thinking out loud. Her and the Samurai are my favorites of your custom decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Some Changes:

Kalpac changes to be a power that gives a reveal and draw, or a play and destroys itself. The recovery was really too situational with the 1 round timing. Now she can make someone deal damage, use a power or play a card.

Abracadabra gives Mara a card draw, it was weak and she did need more card draw.

Wand of banishing now only acts once, but since it cancels the destruction it is much more valuable. It can now prevent on destruction effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
2 Improbable Escape
Ongoing
When a hero character is reduced to 0 or less HP, restore them to 2hp, then destroy this card.
When this card or any of your ongoing cards are destroyed you may draw a card.
"I don't know I survived, I woke up outside the furnace." Absolute Zero, Carnival of Heroes #14

Wondering if this wording might work better, and a couple other minor edits:

Improbable Escape, revised wrote:
When a hero is reduced to 0 HP or less, you may destroy this card, and then that hero is restored to 2 HP.
When this card is destroyed you may draw a card.

"I don't know how I survived; I woke up outside the furnace." Absolute Zero, Carnival of Heroes #14

Among other things, it gives Mara the choice of using the card or not, whereas the original text did not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improbable Escape wrote:
When this card or any of your ongoing cards are destroyed you may draw a card.

For this text to work as it seems like it's intended, it seems like it would either need to be on the character card, or on every one of Mara's ongoing cards.

Also, if the text is put on each of Mara's ongoing cards, I think it should read "Whenever this card is destroyed this way, draw a card," so that Mara only draws a card when the card is actually used and destroyed, as opposed to being destroyed by some other means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I think there's a few subtleties being lost in your proposed wording.

1. I assume the resurrection clause is supposed to be mandatory, since it won't happen often.

2. The card draw is supposed to occur whenever any of her ongoings are destroyed, while Improbably Escape is in play. It's a second (and far more useful) effect than the resurrection bit, since she has so many one-round ongoings that destroy themselves.

Putting card draw text on all of her ongoings would change her deck considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
Putting card draw text on all of her ongoings would change her deck considerably.
Oh, absolutely! It's just that after reading the card, it made me wonder which way it was intended to go.

tosx wrote:
2. The card draw is supposed to occur whenever any of her ongoings are destroyed, while Improbably Escape is in play.
So, maybe just adding "While this card is in play," to the card text would eliminate any possible confusion there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's completely unnecessary. Every card's effect is active while it is in play. Cluttering up text boxes helps no-one. It'll cause more confusion as people ponder why this card says that and Wraith's Combat Stance doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Improbable escape is not optional. One of her themes is that you have to be ready before something happens. As a magician I wanted her to have a lot of powerful tricks, but ones that require her to be setup for it.

Thanks for catching the error in the flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cermak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was getting set to try this deck out; I don't generally bother with decks that don't art, but I'm really intrigued by the mechanics.

But, as I was mocking up some cards I noticed that Mara has no Incap. abilities listed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I never gave her any, I'll try to come up with some tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.