Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If memory serves, when Race was developed, the first arc of expansions were designed right along side the base game. At the time, Tom was rather forthcoming with letting us know his long term intentions.

In a similar sense, I was curious if expansions were developed alongside Roll? I'm in no rush to grab any, but it would be interesting to know.

I haven't been participating in this forum, but a brief search turned up little in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rolling Storm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plan is that no expansions will be released. I'm fairly sure either Wei-Hwa or Tom have confirmed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I'd really like to see (feel free to chime in here, Tom!) is some additional starting worlds and starting civilizations. The obvious release format would be as a promo in the BGG Store and other sources. Perhaps three of each. I really like to give players two starting planets and two starting civilizations and let them choose but, in a five player game, with only nine choices, you can't do this. A few extra mixes things up from game to game and allows the application of this practice. I know it's a house rule but having this kind of control really makes for a smoother experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
The plan is that no expansions will be released. I'm fairly sure either Wei-Hwa or Tom have confirmed this.

Did they say that they do not have any expansions planned or that they plan to not release expansions?

It seems kind of odd to me, I think the game will be a pretty big success and that there's always more tiles expansion idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the quote from Tom, you can make your own mind up how likely an expansion is from this.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Roll for the Galaxy is planned as a stand-alone game (without expansions).

source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ultimately, this is up to the publisher, RGG. The tentative plan was that the card game would have expansions while Roll and [redacted] wouldn't have them. This could change, of course. Both Wei-Hwa and I have ideas that we could run with. RGG will see how Roll does in the marketplace. We'll also have to look at the future Race products in the production pipeline and make sure that we don't saturate the market.

I'm sure Jay, Wei-Hwa, and I will discuss this further at the Gathering this year (in April). By then, we should have some solid sales data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Ultimately, this is up to the publisher, RGG. The tentative plan was that the card game would have expansions while Roll and [redacted] wouldn't have them. This could change, of course. Both Wei-Hwa and I have ideas that we could run with. RGG will see how Roll does in the marketplace. We'll also have to look at the future Race products in the production pipeline and make sure that we don't saturate the market.

I'm sure Jay, Wei-Hwa, and I will discuss this further at the Gathering this year (in April). By then, we should have some solid sales data.

You start working on those expansions now, I'll try to buy as many copies as I can in the mean time.

Joking aside, I think it will do very well, you and Wei-Hwa really came up with something great here. Now, if I could only get a copy of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

I think that the game is pretty complete as it is, and while a small expansion, or possibly two, would be nice, I don't think that you need anywhere near as many expansions as Race has.

If you do any expansions, as someone else mentioned, more starting worlds are probably the most important thing. Following that, my family has noticed that anyone who starts with a novelty planet development and an extra blue planet at the start usually wins, even if other people start with matching starting development/planet combinations, so we would like any expansion to not boost (and possibly even slightly nerf) the blue-planet-rush strategy. Possibly by having some of the low-cost planets not being blue, but giving some abilities other than putting dice into your pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Roll and [redacted] wouldn't have them

I didn't know you guys helped design [redacted]!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
[redacted]

Exciting! We now have some idea about 3 of the 4 Race products in the pipeline (well I suppose 2 out of 3 since Roll is out now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Xelto wrote:
my family has noticed that anyone who starts with a novelty planet development and an extra blue planet at the start usually wins

Keep playing. With more experience using the Explore Scout action and calling Develop, the balance among strategies shifted for the test groups...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
RGG will see how Roll does in the marketplace. We'll also have to look at the future Race products in the production pipeline and make sure that we don't saturate the market.

I like Dominion, so nothing negative about this... if they can let that go to 8 expansions (with yet another one coming out after Guilds), then the market should be fine with even half the # of RftG expansions and sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
RGG will see how Roll does in the marketplace. We'll also have to look at the future Race products in the production pipeline and make sure that we don't saturate the market.

I like Dominion, so nothing negative about this... if they can let that go to 8 expansions (with yet another one coming out after Guilds), then the market should be fine with even half the # of RftG expansions and sets.

Yes, but Dominion won SdJ. That makes a pretty big difference in terms of market saturation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mauigreen wrote:
The Rolling Storm?

"Gathering No Moss"?

(I think my one upmanship needs work.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my two first games yesterday,
and although I obviously don't need expansions right now, I would definetely buy them.

I cannot wait to see what Wei-Hwa and Tom will introduce me to in April! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Yes, but Dominion won SdJ. That makes a pretty big difference in terms of market saturation.
And RftG didn't. ... I'm going to have to stew on this for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

I cannot wait to see what Wei-Hwa and Tom will introduce me to in April! meeple

Just to nip rumors in the bud before they grow, I believe Tom said:

Tom Lehmann wrote:

I wouldn't expect an announcement until much later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I wouldn't expect an announcement until much later.

I would't expect an official announcement in April either whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Ultimately, this is up to the publisher, RGG. The tentative plan was that the card game would have expansions while Roll and [redacted] wouldn't have them.

Tom, this is a bit of an aside, but what is the general ETA for disclosing the redacted game?

"Hopefully, sometime in 2015" would be enough to keep me smiling -- I'm not about to hound you for information you obviously don't wish to fully divulge, but knowing it was further away would ease the suspense a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
what is the general ETA for disclosing the redacted game?

I have no idea. That's up to the publisher.

I spoke about Xeno Invasion only after Jay discussed it in a podcast. I spoke about State of Emergency only after Z-Man posted a teaser on FB.

There are games in the pipeline. When they get closer to emerging from them, publishers will start talking about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the prompt and honest reply.

p.s. You should remake your Time Agent. The world is hungry for a game that does the subject justice. Off topic, but I always wanted to tell you that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Roll and [redacted] wouldn't have them

I didn't know you guys helped design [redacted]!

Haha, came here just to ask this

As far as I know nobody on our team consulted
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
but, hey Tom, if you feel like joining our effort I'm happy to chat with you! (also, I'm a huge fan of Race and still counting down the days still I get my poor European paws on Roll)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Btw, there will most definitely be expansions for [redacted]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my .02, I'd like to see a 6th player added and a few more starting planets and tiles to explore. Maybe one more color dice, if they have something interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally managed to play a few games. It's fun as is, but I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion for it.

kduke wrote:
For my .02, I'd like to see a 6th player added and a few more starting planets and tiles to explore. Maybe one more color dice, if they have something interesting.
Takeover dice! Brink of Dictation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.