Subject: Recursion in Sentinels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not something that comes up often, but a new hero makes it more of a thing. (Guise I'm looking at you!) How are triggered effects handled in Sentinels. Especially multi-part ones.

Example:Guise 'I can do that too!'s Prime Warden Argent Adept, so he can put a card into play from the bottom of his deck, and then activate an accompany text. (Side question: can he activate accompany texts on cards he doesn't own, or would he need 'Yeah I'm that guy!' in play too?) If the played card lets Guise do multiple things, including play another card. Do you finish that card first before going back out the rabbit hole to activate the accompany text, or do you go through all of the 'play draw effect' results stemming from the bottom of the deck card play THEN come back out to the accompany text?

On a side note, I love Best Card Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side question first: The powers that active Performs and Accompanies don't say your Performs or Accompanies so no need for "Yeah, I'm that guy!" to be in play to use them.

Multi-part stuff is interrupted by new card play, if you use Tough Choices to play a card you deal with the entirety of that card (and any cards you might play from that play!) before going back to deal 1 Melee Damage from Tough Choices.

Example
Guise uses Tough Choices
-Guise plays Best Card Ever!
--Guise draws 2 cards
--Guise Deals 1 target 2 damage
--Guise regains 1 HP
--Guise goes "Woo!" and plays another card, "I can do that too!"
---Guise uses Prime Warden Fanatic's power
---Guise deals himself 3 damage
---Guise plays the top card of his deck, Gimmicky Character
----Everyone discards the top card of their deck
----Guise regains 0 HP as no targets are discarded
----Guise plays Look what I found!
-----Guise deals 1 target 3 melee damage, it is still around
-----Guise increases the damage he deals next time by 1
-----Look what I found! goes to the trash
----Gimmicky Character goes to the trash
---Guise lets Team Leader Tachyon use a power.
----Team Leader Tachyon use her Team Leader power
----Guise draws a card
----TLT draws a card
----PW Fanatic draws a card
---"I can do that too!" goes to the trash
--Best Card Ever! goes to the trash
-Guise deals 1 target 2 damage from Tough Choices (still increased by Look what I found!)
Guise takes a drink of cool lemonade and stops this example as he is exhausted.

Simple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best example of Recursion in Sentinels can be seen here: http://bit.ly/1DvqrCQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
The best example of Recursion in Sentinels can be seen here: http://bit.ly/1DvqrCQ

Hah. Hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:

You're a bad man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To generalize, you pretty much always stop whatever you're doing in the middle to do the rest of whatever you've more recently started doing. I think there are a few exceptions though - card plays and power uses work differently in terms of things that trigger off of them, for instance, as it's been confirmed that you can destroy Toxic Seaweed with a power and take no damage, but can't kill Informant with a card play without her first playing a villain card.

It'd be nice if any of this stuff was actually in the rulebook. If an EMP destroys the Internet, nobody will ever be able to play Sentinels again (other than by houseruling everything), because all the definitive answers of how to play don't exist in hardcopy (at least not mass-market distributed hardcopy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I raise my thumb to you, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.