Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

since I am always the Game Master in our Board Game group, I was eager to know how you play that part.

Are you the competitor who plays to win and makes games an unbeatable match? Or are you the friend who helps even in a game against each other? Or the middle way, make it as hard as possible but not unbeatable because you want them to win and make them feel like they really had a fight and beat you because they were better than you?

My second question is do you change that role in your group or are you like me, always the GM? Even in games I don't own, like Pathfinder the RPG, I am always the GM. And I must say I enjoy that part a lot. Or are you on the other side? Always one of the gang?

Poll
What kind of GM are you?
To hell with them! I'm here to win!
We're all friends and I'm here to guide, not to destroy.
Give them a hard time, but most of them will win.
      46 answers
Poll created by de_la_poer

Poll
Which side are you on?
I'm the ruler of the world! Always the GM!
Switching between both...
I'm always part of the fellowship.
      46 answers
Poll created by de_la_poer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the DM a lot in various D&D games I've been part of and I always try to make a compelling experience for the players. I never let things like TPK's happen, or if they swing that way I'll throw in some ex machina type event that swings the story a different way. On the other hand I try to maintain a certain level of risk and if a player does something really bad they can die, or worse yet, lose some sweet items to calamity. On the whole though I really strive for a fun, interesting narrative in my games and want people to have a good time playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered the first question with "being here to win", but then again a classic board game doesn't have a game master. When I am game mastering an RPG, I definitely am the moderator and my top goal is to make the game a fun experience to all players (and myself, but I am happy if the others are). There is no winning in RPGs to me other than telling a great story and giving everyone on the table his special moment (I like Robin Laws' philosophy of game mastering quite a lot).

At board games with an overlord like Descent I try to win, but also try to keep it fun for the players. That is I go easy on them till they got the basics and sometimes even go to more roleplaying GM style in not spawning a group of monsters if the threat level on the board is at a good point already, so they don't get overwhelmed (In Descent 2nd Ed it's more confrontational as it's more obvious in me having to respawn several groups every turn, so going easy on them might leave a bad taste).

If you just refer to explaining games, yes I still try to win as this is just expected in our group. Making sub-optimal moves on purpose is just nothing we do in our group. It might be that I try some weird tactics if I'm the only one that played that game before, but losing on purpose? Not if playing with adults!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard Dagnall
United Kingdom
Twickenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very interesting poll

i love to roleplay, but there is one game where I have put on the gm hat and according to friends seem to do quite well.

my style is I have a plot, a few npc charachters worked out in detail and then allow the players to do what they like.

I merely try to role play each character they encounter to the best of my ability basded on their actions

I do not change events to suit or hinder players, it is what it is and due too their ingenuity or lack of million sometimes live or die

welcome to the 40k universe an an inquisitor.....

I would love to play to the game as a player but have really enjoyed the challenge of being a gm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was really hoping disorganized was one of the options . Whenever my group gets up enough gumption to start a game, I'm always the GM and am always making boatloads up on the fly (even if I tried to prepare a campaign).

Sometimes it works wonderfully, but at least once I had to call the session right after character creation. Sadly the way I run, it's always pretty stressful.

I do love it, it's just I never manage to play consistently enough to get good at it (or find some sucker to take my place ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:
I was really hoping disorganized was one of the options . Whenever my group gets up enough gumption to start a game, I'm always the GM and am always making boatloads up on the fly (even if I tried to prepare a campaign).

Sometimes it works wonderfully, but at least once I had to call the session right after character creation. Sadly the way I run, it's always pretty stressful.

I do love it, it's just I never manage to play consistently enough to get good at it (or find some sucker to take my place ).

Maybe you could use some help in terms of tarot-similar cards. Best option for this would be Idee! Das Universalrollenspiel, but I doubt there will ever be an English Version. It has been expired by Engel – Grundregelwerk and Everway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of GM am I

I am here to give you a good time, not to nursemaid you, act like morons you die (all of you).

To be fair this has mellowed a bit, but a lot deepness on the game. If I am running Indy they will win if I can damn well help it. If however it is Aftermath suck it and weep, it's supposed to be about pain misery and death.

Which side am I on

In one group I tend to GM (and in one game played and helped GM at the same time).

In another group I tend to play, but am a back up GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about board games or RPGs? Because if I'm the GM in Dungeons and Dragons, we all are looking to make the best story possible...

...but if I'm the Game Master in Descent: Journeys in the Dark, my objective is to make them as miserable as humanly possible.

Pete (wonders if this is really an RPGgeek question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Are we talking about board games or RPGs? Because if I'm the GM in Dungeons and Dragons, we all are looking to make the best story possible...

...but if I'm the Game Master in Descent: Journeys in the Dark, my objective is to make them as miserable as humanly possible.

Pete (wonders if this is really an RPGgeek question)

Guess you're right, there might be a difference between RPG and Board games but I was thinking about both, maybe more about BG than RPG but... yes both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.