Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Variant: Family First rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] of [+] family [+] winter [+] solo [+] first [+] dead [+] [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this is my solo variant for Dead of Winter, and I think a lot of people will be quite pleased with it. You only control one survivor, and there are several things you will need to find to complete the game. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the variant and I'll consider implementing them in the future. So without further ado, here is the story, followed by the set up and rules:

STORY:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
December 27th

We finally found a place to call home, for now. We’ve tried to keep track, and I think the wife’s baby might be due any day now. We’re alone in this beat-up old building, but at least we have each other. And soon our first-born child will be entering into the world. My lovely wife found a children’s book in the school on the way here. It’s an alphabet book. Right now our little one is learning their ABCs from inside the womb. It’s hard to imagine that we could be excited after all we’ve been through, but this baby will be the best blessing we could ever hope for. Just seeing her smile brings warmth to my heart. If we can just keep quiet, and scavenge for enough food, then maybe we could make a life here. At least for a little while…

SET UP/VICTORY:
SET UP
MORALE STARTS AT 7
ROUND TRACK STARTS AT 8

Add a zombie to every space in non-colony locations. At 1 zombie to each player location space at the Hospital (in addition to the zombies you just placed in the normal zombie spaces). Add 1 helpless survivor token (your wife) to the colony.

VICTORY
Complete special objectives, and Phase 2.
Survive 8 rounds.

RULES:
Rules
1. Start with a random character, or choose one if you'd like.
2. Start with 6 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards. (See difficulty levels for greater difficulty)
3. When moving or fighting a zombie, treat the tooth icon on the exposure die as a wound.
4. When searching, ignore all outsider cards (place them on the bottom of the location deck and draw another card).
5. Your wife can clean 2 waste per round as a free action.
6. During the Colony Phase, you must pay 1 food if your survivor is outside of the colony, and 2 if your survivor is in the colony.
7. The Hospital is off-limits until "Phase 2" (Described below) *NOTE* Do not reveal Phase 2 until you have qualified to do so under Special Objective rule 10, or you wish to read spoilers.
*IMPORTANT NOTE* You may move your survivor as many times you wish per round, obeying the exposure rules.

----
Special Objectives
8. During the course of the game, you will need to complete special objectives. You need to find the following items:
a. Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle (You will need this item before Phase 2)
b. Lighter
c. Switchblade
d. Scissors
9. Shuffle the Crossroads deck and place it nearby.
10a. At the beginning of each round, flip over a Crossroads card. If the title of the card begins with A, B, or C, go to Phase 2. If the round marker reaches Round 2 and you have not yet revealed a title with A, B, or C, go to the Phase 2. (Note that you do not need to have found all of the items in rule 8 to proceed to Phase 2, but it is advised you do so ASAP. You do however need the Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle before heading to Phase 2)
10b. Crossroads cards have no additional effect in this game other than a timer to trigger Phase 2.

Phase 2
Phase 2
Delivery Phase
Your wife goes into labor.

January 3rd

I have been preparing for this moment. I knew it would come. Thank God I found a safe place to deliver the baby. The only thing is, she's going to need an epidural, and some other meds. That damn hospital has been overrun since we've arrived at this town. Luckily, I found a sniper rifle to pick them off. I need to do this. For our new family.

1. If you do not have a Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle, find one before proceeding.
2. Pick off a zombie in a Hospital player location spot using the Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle.
3. Head to the Hospital following the usual rules.
4. Search for the Adrenaline Shot item in the Hospital deck.
5. If you have no Medicine, find some.
6. Once you have the Adrenaline Shot and at least 1 Medicine, head back to the colony, and put those 2 items, along with the items listed in rule 8 in the waste pile. Add another helpless survivor token to the colony. The rules for paying food stay the same as in rule 6.

Survive the rest of the game's rounds and you win!

DIFFICULTY LEVELS
Difficulty Levels

Easiest - Use rules listed in the above rules section.
Very Easy - Start with 5 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards.
Easy - Start with 5 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards. Treat the tooth icon on the exposure die as death. If you ever role this icon, you lose the game.
Medium - Start with 4 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards. Treat the tooth icon on the exposure die as death. If you ever role this icon, you lose the game.
Hard - Start with 3 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards. Treat the tooth icon on the exposure die as death. If you ever role this icon, you lose the game.
Impossible - Start with 2 action dice, and 10 Starting Item cards. Treat the tooth icon on the exposure die as death. If you ever role this icon, you lose the game.

Procrastinator Variant - Wait to get all the items until Phase 2 triggers. Mix with any of the difficulty levels above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo Variant: Famiy First
Response in Spoiler tags just in case someone doesn't want to know details:

So, in setup, you're saying to put zombies in the Hospital spaces where Survivors normally go?

Do Crossroads cards have their normal effects other than checking what letter they start with?
(And what is the proportion of cards that start with A B and C anyway?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Response in Spoiler tags just in case someone doesn't want to know details:

So, in setup, you're saying to put zombies in the Hospital spaces where Survivors normally go?

Do Crossroads cards have their normal effects other than checking what letter they start with?
(And what is the proportion of cards that start with A B and C anyway?)

Yes, in setup zombies go in the hospital survivor spaces. It's more thematic than anything, making it so you simply can't approach the hospital because it's overrun.

Crossroads cards are only in the game to be a timer for reaching Phase 2. They have no additional effect.

The number of A, B, C cards is 25.6%, or 21/82 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this. We just had our 2nd baby on 1/7, so I'm totally psyched about the story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, I'm going to try this later, couple of q's.
1,When you say find those items, I take it you mean by the search action?
2,Do we still use the crisis cards?
3, Also do we add zombies (X1)during the colony phase for the wife at the colony? And to the location where you are at that time?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina the Board Gamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Chris, thanks for your scenario. I have started a play through of your variant on my channel. Please let me know if I am playing correctly.

Ep 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjGoIMujlQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just tried this. Enjoyed it,I tweaked it a little as I was playing the medium rules, but 1st turn I rolled a tooth, and thought I'll treat that as a wound, I take it if your survivor is killed at a non colony due to over run during the game, that's it, game over, you don't choose another survivor? Thanks. Off to try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, that was great, although I didn't draw a xroads card, so I could only go to the hospital when tracker was on round one, couldn't find the adrenaline shot in time, ran out of dice to search with, and all noise token spaces filled up. Had a zombie over run that killed me off, but then again the round track would of gone to 0 anyway,
Just another couple of questions,
1, can you use tikka to kill the zombies in the hospital from another location before phase 2? Or can only start attacking to that location in phase 2?
2, can you equip as many weapons and items you want?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thanks, I'm going to try this later, couple of q's.
1,When you say find those items, I take it you mean by the search action?
2,Do we still use the crisis cards?
3, Also do we add zombies (X1)during the colony phase for the wife at the colony? And to the location where you are at that time?
Thanks.

1. Yes, by the search action.
2. Yes, you still use crisis cards. Many of the core rules have not changed
3. You do add zombies to the colony and non-colony locations as per the rules.

Stevieram wrote:
Just tried this. Enjoyed it,I tweaked it a little as I was playing the medium rules, but 1st turn I rolled a tooth, and thought I'll treat that as a wound, I take it if your survivor is killed at a non colony due to over run during the game, that's it, game over, you don't choose another survivor? Thanks. Off to try again.

Yes, that is correct it is game over if you roll a tooth in the harder difficulty levels.

Stevieram wrote:
Well, that was great, although I didn't draw a xroads card, so I could only go to the hospital when tracker was on round one, couldn't find the adrenaline shot in time, ran out of dice to search with, and all noise token spaces filled up. Had a zombie over run that killed me off, but then again the round track would of gone to 0 anyway,
1, can you use tikka to kill the zombies in the hospital from another location before phase 2? Or can only start attacking to that location in phase 2?
Thanks

I'm not sure how you did not draw a xroads card since you have to at the beginning of each round, unless I'm not understanding you correctly.

1. Yes, you can pick off zombies with the Tikka before Phase 2, but the Hospital is still off limits until Phase 2 as per the rules of this variant.
2. Yes, you can equip as many weapons and items as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
***NOTICE***

One VERY IMPORTANT thing. There was a typo in the rules. On rule 6 you only have to pay 2 food if your character is in the colony, and 1 food if he is outside the colony.

I actually haven't playtested this a bunch because it didn't seem to capture much interest, but now that I see people are interested I will go back to testing.

Thanks for the interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
copyright3k wrote:
Hi Chris, thanks for your scenario. I have started a play through of your variant on my channel. Please let me know if I am playing correctly.

Ep 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjGoIMujlQ

Tina,

That was a great video! The hand icon is a nice touch. I can't wait to see the rest of the series.

Two things: Firstly, ALL the zombie spaces are to be filled with zombies outside of the colony. This is the core of what makes this variant difficult because you have to search and either kill zombies or head back to the colony.

Secondly, I actually put a typo in the rules. I haven't revisited them in a while so I didn't catch it. But you only have to pay 2 food when inside the colony and 1 food outside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina the Board Gamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oops. I was having so much fun with the game that I filmed the rest of game play today so I wouldn't be able to incorporate changes directly but I will add annotations to the videos to highlight the changes and errors. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
copyright3k wrote:
Oops. I was having so much fun with the game that I filmed the rest of game play today so I wouldn't be able to incorporate changes directly but I will add annotations to the videos to highlight the changes and errors. Thanks!

That's okay. It's a pretty complex variant IMO, albeit a fun and thematic one. I think this weekend I'll try to write another cool one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thanks

Sorry, I have just read this back, I meant I didn't manage to draw a crossroads card starting with a,b,c. So it was a last round trigger, I also set the game up with only one zombie at non colony spaces, not sure why I did that either? So just to clarify I can attack zombies at hospital before phase 2,but I cannot go there? I really enjoyed it, I actually might keep playing with the rules from the typo, pay 2 food for the pregnant wife. I found it very thematic and I was actually concerned about not getting her food,it wasn't because I would just lose a morale either.
Can't wait to try again. Especially now I know I was supposed to put a zombie in every non colony location. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Sorry, I have just read this back, I meant I didn't manage to draw a crossroads card starting with a,b,c. So it was a last round trigger, I also set the game up with only one zombie at non colony spaces, not sure why I did that either? So just to clarify I can attack zombies at hospital before phase 2,but I cannot go there? I really enjoyed it, I actually might keep playing with the rules from the typo, pay 2 food for the pregnant wife. I found it very thematic and I was actually concerned about not getting her food,it wasn't because I would just lose a morale either.
Can't wait to try again. Especially now I know I was supposed to put a zombie in every non colony location. Thanks.

Yeah, again I've been pretty busy so I haven't had time to playtest this much. So I don't know why I put 3 and 2 food before, but maybe it is better? Unfortunately it will have to wait until later in the week, but I plan on testing this some more.

I hadn't originally planned for shooting the zombies in the hospital before Phase 2, but I think it's fine. Thematically the reason he doesn't go to the hospital (even with the Tikka) is because it was overrun and he's being cautious. When Phase 2 happens, it becomes an emergency and he gets enough courage to finally take on the hospital.

I think I may change the Phase 2 trigger to happen with 2 rounds left if no A,B,C cards have come up. Again, lots of testing to get it right. I was just so excited at the time when I came up with the variant I wanted to get it up on boardgamegeek. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just set up for another go of this variant, so there is 8 zombies total at the hospital? Non in the colony? Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you move multiple times in the same turn? Cause as written I feel the main issue will be digging through the decks not only for the specific items in hand (which sort of feels like a gambling game on how was the deck shuffled, cause if things like the adrenaline shot and rifles are towards the bottom, that's going to be rough)and how well do you know the decks, because these items are typically in just one location), but you'll need more survivors quickly to aid in the rapid search.

Do the survivor add additional dice per the core rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just completed another runthrough, won it this time, I took your advice and went to phase 2 when the round tracker reached 2, as I still hadnt revealed a xroad card (a,b,c) luckily the adrenaline shot was the 3rd card in, so headed back to the colony and put the items in the waste, added a helpless survivor (baby) I played it so had to have 3 food from then on. But I only had one more round to survive, which I had no problem doing, I'm thinking I'll play the original 2 food for wife per round again, it added more of a challenge, also I treat the tooth as a frost bite, just semt a bit to unlucky to lose the game just by a roll of a tooth, also I'm thinking of limiting weapons as I had so many weapons i was killing multiple zombies easily without having to roll for exposure, just my opinion, but thank you very much for this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
Can you move multiple times in the same turn? Cause as written I feel the main issue will be digging through the decks not only for the specific items in hand (which sort of feels like a gambling game on how was the deck shuffled, cause if things like the adrenaline shot and rifles are towards the bottom, that's going to be rough)and how well do you know the decks, because these items are typically in just one location), but you'll need more survivors quickly to aid in the rapid search.

I'm thinking you're not allowed to add survivors, think your out there alone, correct me if I'm wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
JCChrono wrote:

I'm thinking you're not allowed to add survivors, think your out there alone, correct me if I'm wrong here.

You are correct Stevie. And to answer your previous question, you are correct on that as well.

Thank you for enjoying this variant. I put a lot of thought into the concept, even if I didn't playtest thoroughly enough. I posted this over a month ago and people didn't seem very interested so I gave up on it. I think it's a great scenario though and I'm looking forward to testing it this weekend.

Also, feel free to keep giving me feedback. If you really enjoy it, I would say to record your games and give me notable feedback with each difficulty level, and the specific setup and rules you used. That is an offer to anyone interested. You can post that information in here, or PM me if you want. Either way is fine. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Stevieram wrote:
JCChrono wrote:

You are correct Stevie. And to answer your previous question, you are correct on that as well.

Thank you for enjoying this variant. I put a lot of thought into the concept, even if I didn't playtest thoroughly enough. I posted this over a month ago and people didn't seem very interested so I gave up on it. I think it's a great scenario though and I'm looking forward to testing it this weekend.

Also, feel free to keep giving me feedback. If you really enjoy it, I would say to record your games and give me notable feedback with each difficulty level, and the specific setup and rules you used. That is an offer to anyone interested. You can post that information in here, or PM me if you want. Either way is fine. Thanks again!
Hi, did you play this variant again? Just wondering if there were any updates? Or new ones? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:

Hi, did you play this variant again? Just wondering if there were any updates? Or new ones? Thanks

I haven't, but I will tonight and report. The only foreseeable update is the Phase 2 timer, in which if you haven't drawn an A, B, or C crossroads card by the time the round counter is on 2, you can enter Phase 2.

I will go ahead and update the original post to reflect that change. It's pretty unfair to make someone try to get the shot on the last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing Log

2/28/2015 - Played on Medium Difficulty with Gray Beard. I thought he would make a good husband and father, but alas, his searching ability is poor. That said, he did make it to the hospital and got the adrenaline shot, but got fatally bitten by a zombie on his way back to the abandoned warehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Gass-Donnelly
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the hospital is already overrun, at the end of a turn that you're there, do you add more zombies? Does it then become officially overrun like the normal rules and you instantly die? What about the other locations, does the overrun rule apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Stevieram wrote:
JCChrono wrote:

So, when you draw a survivor card, do you ignore it and draw the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |