12 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hi! New gamer here, please help with outbreak rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashea Deveraux

New York
msg tools
Hi! First off; thank you so much for taking time to read this post. I hope you take time to reply to my querry too.

The scenario is, Cities A B and C in a triangle, are infected.
A - 3 B - 3 C - 2

If the next card drawn is to infect A, then naturally an outbreak occurs in A, adding one to B and another to C. C - 2 becomes C - 3. But B is also now having an outbreak, correct? Does B infect C again? In which case another outbreak with C happens in C infecting adjacent cities EXCEPT A and B?

In other words, I guess, in one turn the outbreak counter moved 3x?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you get a triple outbreak. Also, if there are any cities adjacent to two of the three, those cities will have 2 cubes added.

(As a rule, I tend to think of two adjacent 3-cube cities as a "drop everything and DEAL WITH THIS" crisis.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashea Deveraux

New York
msg tools
I see! Thank you so much! We drew the Epidemic card straight up when starting the game. Good rule.

One last question? If I draw 2 from the player deck and both of them are events, since it says "play any time." I can play it before infecting cities right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you pay attention to the colour of the city that has the initial outbreak. If A = black, B = red, C = red and A has an outbreak, B and C would receive a black cube each and not the red that would cause them to outbreak again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Gamer Girl wrote:
I see! Thank you so much! We drew the Epidemic card straight up when starting the game. Good rule.

One last question? If I draw 2 from the player deck and both of them are events, since it says "play any time." I can play it before infecting cities right?

right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashea Deveraux

New York
msg tools
Yes, thank you!

Gosh I've forever been a lurker in this community. And I really appreciate the swift replies. Thank you so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall that a city can't outbreak more than once a turn though, so at least you won't instantly lose the game if you get more than 2 cities outbreaking next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
I seem to recall that a city can't outbreak more than once a turn though, so at least you won't instantly lose the game if you get more than 2 cities outbreaking next to each other.

A city can only outbreak once with each infection card drawn.

So you draw Atlanta, which outbreaks and causes New York to outbreak. If you're then super unlucky and draw New York from the infection deck then New York will outbreak and cause Atlanta to outbreak again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it completely right, Ashea. You will face outbreaks in all three cities and you resolve them in the order they come out (add cubes to connected cities, move up the outbreak marker, etc.).

The only thing that makes it possible to survive a mess like that is that you don't add extra cubes to that cities that have already had an outbreak as part of this particular chain reaction.

All that said, I think you played it perfectly. Well done and welcome to the boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I made a few skull and crossbones markers to place on cities that outbreak just to help keep track of everything. When I'm figuring out the outbreak results, I put the marker on each city that had the outbreak so I don't get lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Absolutely love this game and we always seem to lose to this kind of outbreak in Baghdad/Istanbul. Our last session seemed to be working out when we fixed that mess but completely missed the pending threat of the Ho Chi Minh City trangle/square with the surrounding locations - epidemics always seem to come up on my turn. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Yuss
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm not sure how Atlanta causes New York to outbreak or vice versa. Does your version connect these two cities? Mine has Atlanta connected to Chicago, Washington and Miami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.