Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Wiegand
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I have played, (I have mostly played a 5 player game) almost everyone starts and stayes in the eastern united states, 1 person, maybe 2 will start in the west. at the end of the game we had so many western cities with only 1 house on them, and the ones with two or more were there because someone had no choice but to build there to connect more cities. I thought it would be fun if in step 3, if your house is the only marker in a city you should get a cash bonus, 20$ or so because you're able to jack up the price on your product because of lack of compotition. At the end of the last 5 player game i played, i was the only player in Billings, Seattle, Salt Lake, Boise, Portland, and Cheyenne, i'm willing to bet that if i recieved 120 extra Elektro I wouldn't have been the only one in those cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It might seem that the lack of competition that often appears in the us map of Power Grid is an imbalance, but actually i have seen quite a few people win because of that very same lack of competition; while their initial costs might be higher for development, the people in the east will have higher costs and more restrictions later in the game.

I have never felt that therer was a need for a bonus, as the game has a very refined sense of balance as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it more or less balances itself. In a five-player game, I'd imagine that four players starting in the east vs. one player in the west would be about balanced.

Try adding that bonus of yours. All that will happen is that the balance will shift (maybe 3:2 players instead of 4:1). The concept is such that the players will automatically go for the optimum - so if you change the rules, they will simply behave differently and re-balance things.

Which part of the map did you not use, BTW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.