Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time play questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benedikt Merkel
Germany
Viernheim
flag msg tools
I am playing my first game solo at the moment and i realy enjoy that fantastic game so far.

Here are some questions:

1. I placed italian counters in romania (axis ally) for the assault on russia. I realized that this is not allowed, because of cooperation limits. In fact i could not place them anywhere on the russian border but is it allowed to move italian counters into russian territory by strategic movement after some ground is gained?

2. Italian counters can be placed in occupied france for devending allied invasions?

3. I wonder how an succesful campaign in north africa is possible for italy, even with german help. With two british naval fleets and one airfleet in the med it seems almost impossible to bring italian units into supply (at least not for subsequent turns).

4. Is supply in north africa realy so easy for the british? With an convoy placed in Suez they can trace supply to the Western Indian Ocean Box without possible italian interceptions.

5. Russia gets a +1 modifier for strategic combat per three allied countries conquered. What is the idea behind this? Partisan activity? I mean thats a mighty +3 drm for russia at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Merkel
Germany
Viernheim
flag msg tools
6. When the moscow-treaty is active, russia gets production points equal to his factory count. Does that include the ural factorys on the extra factories track and the fac. lost marker? Or is it just 7 points out of 7 factories in active russia?

7. Strategic warfare between axis and russia is still happening with moscow-treaty active?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
obstbecher wrote:
I am playing my first game solo at the moment and i realy enjoy that fantastic game so far.

Thank you for buying it. I'm glad you are having fun.

Quote:
1. I placed italian counters in romania (axis ally) for the assault on russia. I realized that this is not allowed, because of cooperation limits. In fact i could not place them anywhere on the russian border but is it allowed to move italian counters into russian territory by strategic movement after some ground is gained?

Yes, you can use Strategic Movement to move through your own allies. It's listed as an exception in the rule.

If Poland was conquered by the Axis, you could put Italian troops in conquered Poland.

Also, for future reference, if one of your allies is conquered (which means it is no longer active) then you can move other allies in there. Example: If Italy is conquered, you could move Romanian troops into Italy.

Quote:
2. Italian counters can be placed in occupied france for devending allied invasions?

Yes, there is no restriction on ending a move in a conquered country.

Quote:
3. I wonder how an succesful campaign in north africa is possible for italy, even with german help. With two british naval fleets and one airfleet in the med it seems almost impossible to bring italian units into supply (at least not for subsequent turns).

If the Axis want to make a serious effort in North Africa, it must eventually put a German air unit in Sicily to be able to help suppress Malta. The bad weather helps relieve the Axis supply situation in North Africa because the negative DRM makes it harder for the British to get an interdiction success. Strategic Warfare is also important. If the British are losing it, it is hard for them to pay for replacements on all their air and naval assets.

Quote:
4. Is supply in north africa realy so easy for the british? With an convoy placed in Suez they can trace supply to the Western Indian Ocean Box without possible italian interceptions.

Yes, it is that easy. However, remember that you can only remove 2 Sorties per turn from a unit. So one British convoy can only continually supply two units per turn. For the British, the main problem in Africa is not normally supply, but rather being able to replace sorties due to losing Strategic Warfare.

Quote:
5. Russia gets a +1 modifier for strategic combat per three allied countries conquered. What is the idea behind this? Partisan activity? I mean thats a mighty +3 drm for russia at the moment.

Yes, it represents partisan activity. Germany can counter this a little bit by getting an air unit in Norway (SZ 3 or 4) and using Submarines to modify the Soviet Strategic combat result. It is an abstraction without a direct line of cause and effect (that is, subs impacting partisan activity), but the idea is if Russia is not getting the resources from the West, it does not have enough to support the partisans.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
obstbecher wrote:
6. When the moscow-treaty is active, russia gets production points equal to his factory count. Does that include the ural factorys on the extra factories track and the fac. lost marker? Or is it just 7 points out of 7 factories in active russia?

Factory Count always equals On-Map Factories minus Fac Lost (raised to 0 if less than 0) plus Extra Factories. So yes, it includes Urals factories.

Quote:
7. Strategic warfare between axis and russia is still happening with moscow-treaty active?

This is a recent errata change (found in the 2015-01-02 errata file). Strategic warfare does not happen if Moscow Treaty is in effect.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even own the game but if you are popping in here at 6 am one hour after questions were asked to respectfully answer them, then you are DA MAN!

Well done! I may have a hard time finding opponents but I just put this on my 'wanted' list.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gap10 wrote:
I don't even own the game but if you are popping in here at 6 am one hour after questions were asked to respectfully answer them, then you are DA MAN!

Well done! I may have a hard time finding opponents but I just put this on my 'wanted' list.
thumbsup

Exellent game solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abraham blauvelt wrote:

Exellent game solo

QFT! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Merkel
Germany
Viernheim
flag msg tools
gap10 wrote:

:thumbsup:

Consider to put it on your 'must have' list. It is worth it :D

abraham blauvelt wrote:
Exellent game solo :)

I can confirm that, realy an excellent solo game. It just feels
like a modern WW2 ETO game should.

And thanks Sal for the quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gap10 wrote:

thumbsup

Thanks. I'm an early riser so the timing was serendipitous.

It also helps that I only have one game to worry about. I did work on Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!. But it has been so long since I played it that I would not be very good at answering rules questions. I can't imagine how more prolific game designers do it. Though that is when dedicated fans help immensely.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to bring up an old thread, but I have a related question to:

Quote:

Italian counters in France at the time of it's collapse and capitulation. Exception rule 13.2.2.1 places any of these units that happen to be in Vichy back in their home country (repatriates). Is there any such allowance for the counters in Occupied France? I ended up with 3 Italian armies near Dijion that have no easy way home. Is three turns of strategic movement my only option? That, or invade Vichy!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't apply in Occupied France. I've never seen 3 Italian armies up there before the fall of France. I assume they got there using strategic movement. Strat move is probably the best and fastest way to get them out, unless you were planning to invade Vichy anyway.

Another way is to let them drop to No Supply and then voluntarily eliminate them. But that is slower and expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.