Popular Tags: [View All]
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the new map posted on this site:

"The only other real change that the new map brings is in the San Francisco Bay area. The original map made it look like the Western invader could get into the San Joaquin Valley from an invasion zone, without first having to go through San Francisco or the Marin County area to the north. If you've ever been to San Francisco, you know this is pretty silly, so the new map makes it clear that the Western invader can't do this. "

So, how do you guys play? Can anyone prove that San Joaquin should not be attached to a Western Invasion Zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't prove it. Could have been a play balance tweak in the original map and now the American player will have an easier time defending the West Coast if the area is blocked from landing Asian troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mecom
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, can't prove it. In my version, you would have to get there via helicopter if you wanted to take it on the first turn. In all the times I've played, I can't recall ever actually fighting a battle in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The rules do refer to the space as "inland" in one of the examples. That would seem to lend some support to the idea it shouldn't be touching the invasion zone. On the other hand, if you had someone look at the map and asked them if that space touched the ocean I'm pretty sure they'd say yes. So you have a kind of vague rule reference on one hand and your eyes on the other hand.

Another board change that I've seen in some electronic boards for this game is having Detroit and the upper peninsula of Michigan touch.

Did any copies of this game come with a FAQ/errata type document like later printings of Axis and Allies did? If so, could someone tell us what it says about this or any other topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Milster
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played FA in years, but I recall that our group always played the San Joaquin Valley as inland, and we played that the space two spaces to the East of Phonix did not touch the invasion zone.

We reasoned that if the developer really wanted to allow movement between these areas why didn't he move the lines slightly? Also the boarder lines are very thick and the amount of space touching was the size of the boarder. Third, due to the physical limitations of both, we just couldn't see whole armies marching single file (or ships going under the Golden Gate bridge, wtihout being fired upon by units in SF). And last, we thought the US player could use a little help.

Our games were always well balanced, so it worked out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While we'd always played that those were adjacent to "Invasion Zones" since they BORDER upon such, according to the map as shown, and also according to the descriptions with examples for these on Page 6 under "Adjacencies", where it explicitly denotes this with that. In a couple of examples on Pages 13 & 20, then a LINE has been drawn extending it as well, to delineate where "I.Z.s-4 & 5" are further separated, so that 'Units' in "I.Z.-5" aren't able to be adjacent to the LAND space in "I.Z.-4". As for the "New Mexico" area 2 spaces to the EAST of "Phoenix", it doesn't have or denote a "terminus point" to preclude it being adjacent, while instead there is a small portion of which does include it as such abutting the "I.Z.". Also, the Southern Invader's 2 furthest EAST "I.Z."s aren't adjacent to one another, as they are separated by the 'point' of "Texas".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, when saw this thread, I thought that the space was not next to the coast this was based on geographical knowledge. However, the more I think about it, why would they put that little handle that jets out towards the ocean? Or even include the space at all if it did not touch the coast. It feels like it i supposed to touch the invasion zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i'm not mistaking which territory you talk about, then I'm pretty sure it isnt adjacent to an invasion zone, the rulebook clearly states that if 2 regions touch each other on a corner (as opposed on touching on a full side-length), that they arent adjacent.
the purpose of regions touching at corners is to seperate 2 regions,by having this 3rd region come between them, thus you must move 2 spaces to reach the other region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.