5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How to present uncommonly themed factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
My boardgame is themed with Swedish folk lore: trolls, gnomes and various other creatures I'm not sure of the english name for. I'm thinking about how to present the theme and creatures, how do people generally do these things? There's asymmetrical sides so if things go well I might include folk lore creatures from the USA, England and so on later but for now it's Swedish.

The theme isn't superheavy since there's very little text in the game, so not knowing exactly what a lindorm is won't make a huge difference when playing. (For those curious it's a huge snake which can move by biting it's tail and rolling forward).

One idea I'm toying with is including a little booklet with images and descriptions for each faction, but on the other hand; is it really needed? There's loads of various fantasy creatures of all sorts, sizes and races and people have their own images of these without problems. But then, those have been described before. Sturdy dwars, shiny elves, halflings and so on.

Thoughts? suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is something like a reference sheet, then reference on the front and illustrations and history on the back (similar to the back story on the back of the character sheets in Mice and Mystics). Have you played Terra Mystica I think it does well matching the asymmetry to each faction...

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally like to have descriptions of races I'm unfamiliar with. I also enjoy descriptions of familiar races within a setting though, as each setting has its own flavor and spin on things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

A little reference booklet would not be amiss... I'm imagining something like a simple sketch drawing, a few bullet points, and a paragraph or two of text for each "race". Sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the thoughts I've checked out Mice and Mystics, will look into Terra Mystica.

I'll include a little booklet or a themed reference card to help people get into the feeling/mindset of folk lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.