Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I have ASL Rules (AH Edition), but I would like to start with the Starter Kits first, since several of my friends have bought ASLSK#2.

Shall I wait for ASLSK#3 and buy that only, or
get ASLSK#1,2 and 3?

If I get ASLSK#3 only, do the maps and counters in ASLSK#1 and 2, which I am missing, affect my enjoyment of the game as a whole? I probably will get Beyond Valor after my group gets used to the system.

I am used to complex board wargames and have played SL before (as well as owning the SL basic game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, #3 contains more rules than #2, which contains more rules than #1. So if you get #3, you'll have a few more rules (tank rules!) than your friends, and many of the #3 scenarios will need those new rules to play. If your pals are ready for more rules, then get #3, if not, then step back to #1 which has scenarios playable with the #2 rules your friends already know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Champion Eternal wrote:

If I get ASLSK#3 only, do the maps and counters in ASLSK#1 and 2, which I am missing, affect my enjoyment of the game as a whole?

I doubt it. MMP does not seem to be using any of the ASLSK maps in it's official scenarios (Except for journal 7, but they included the necessary board with the journal then). And the ASLSK counters are just a subset of the available ones. So you're not missing out there.

Quote:

I am used to complex board wargames and have played SL before (as well as owning the SL basic game).

If that's the case, you should be able to cope with going directly to ASLSK#3, and I would recomend that, because it has infantry and guns and tanks all in one package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a player has had some old experience with Squad Leader or ASL, I think it's always worth beginning with ASLSK#1. The infantry rules and sequence of play are so important to the game, that I suspect you will see a noticible difference (maybe to the point of affecting one's enjoyment) in the quality of play between those hitting ASLSK for the first time with #3 and those who've played through #1 and/or #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your friends have #1 and/or #2, then get #3! More scenario options are good.

Question for those who have aslsk #3 already: Does it have a couple starter scenarios without the new rules, like the ordnance-free ASLSK #2 scenarios S9 and S10 (or even S11, where an experienced player can play the Americans to demonstrate the use of bazooka and mortar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I will agree with the recommendation that, if you are new to ASL, the best way to learn is to take the Starter Kits in order: 1-2-3.

The one advantage of ASLSK #3 is that it has, by far, the best rulebook of the three. The first two rulebooks have a number of minor problems, and MMP put in a lot of work to try to get all of those problems fixed in the ASLSK #3 rulebook.

The third rulebook is no better as a "teaching" rulebook than the first two... and beginners may not even notice the problems in those rulebooks... but once you start playing ASLSK #3 just go ahead and retire the earlier rulebooks and use #3 for all of your ASLSK games. It is much more complete and accurate.

Jason B wrote:
Question for those who have aslsk #3 already: Does it have a couple starter scenarios without the new rules, like the ordnance-free ASLSK #2 scenarios S9 and S10 (or even S11, where an experienced player can play the Americans to demonstrate the use of bazooka and mortar).

There are eight scenarios in ASLSK #3.

One is infantry only.

One uses only tanks (10 T-34's vs 2 Tigers and 4 Pz IV's).

The other six all feature infantry & armor or infantry, guns & armor. These range from one with mostly infantry (just two Guns and two MG-equipped tankettes), to a ASLSK "monster" scenario using all three boards and LOTS of infantry and tanks... and leaders... and demo charges... and Panzerschrecks... and an anti-tank gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.