Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a very tense game, my first solo with 2 player soldiers (great fun to play with 2 hands of cards), and this endgame:

Drug huts are the objective; they're screened by hostiles. I've soldier A on the objective, and B in the adjacent location. They have 2x and 1x thrown grenades all of which need to be thrown in the objective location i.e. range 0.

I have, at end of round 2, 2 hostiles left in the objective area - both range 0 thug types. They both are after Soldier B.

In the Hostile phase, neither can attack B, so both move to close distance. Now there are no hostiles in the objective. The rules talk about hostiles in the same location screening.

So I move B forward one with an action, into the objective, leaving the thugs behind, and with the help of a few cards to improve penetration I manage to use my final 3 grenades to blow up the 3 huts and voila: a win. By the skin of the teeth.

Which is amazing, and I love it, but it also leaves me wondering, did I play right?

Thematically I can see B distracting the 2 thugs who run on a wild goose chase into the jungle, leaving B free to sneak back to the huts, join A, and nuke the site.

Would anyone have played differently? In particular am I right in these 2 assumptions:

a) that the hostiles can't screen once they're away from the location/objective containing the thing they screen?
and
b) that when hostiles enter a location, either on the location being played or by a reinforcement check, they are randomly allocated to soldiers (rather than e.g. always targeting the closest one)?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play it the same way. I think you got everything right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right Paul.

Hostiles stick with targeting the same soldier, so they don't switch to closest ones.

If an objective card says Screened by Hostiles, it's just by the hostiles on that objective card. So if they move off the card, they no longer screen the objective.

Your thematic reasoning is great. I love it. cool

That's the thing about this game, it has enough abstraction that you can insert plenty of thematic storytelling. Just because your soldiers are in the same location, it doesn't mean that they are always close to each other. So your soldier B distraction works great for how that worked out for you. Then there are also times when an IED or RPG team can hit all soldiers in a location, so then they would be considered close together at that time. So it's neat how the story develops from game to game.

Not a cheesy win at all. You could have also had poor rolls and only taken out 2 of the 3 huts and no explosives left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I was delighted with the win. The game before I abandoned at location 2 having already taken 6 wounds and with both soldiers doubly suppressed... so I know it's not all easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until you get to the Middle-East
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Grossholdermann
Germany
Kamp-Lintfort
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a Hollywood Movie. attract attention from the Bad Boys and the stupid run behind you. The Brave then ashes the Huts. Good game. I like it because vs. a real Opponent it will never work but that the things where Stories are made from :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg: tomorrow, with luck

Rudi: yup! I had visions of Jason Statham running through the jungle laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, all hostiles in the Drug Huts objective card had range 0 and a soldier in an adjacent location card as their targets?

During the next turn there were no reinforcements coming - whether in the Drug Huts objective card (to screen the huts), nor in the adjacent location card (maybe to prohibit a movement)?

I ask, because I had all these incidents happened ... and cursed a lot.

It seems You were a lucky guy!

Because of incidents like the ones I described above, when I am on a mission with a target that will be screened, I give at least one player soldier the skill Focus and equip him with the needed weapons to fulfill the mission (i.e. M2 Mines, M72 LAW, etc.). With that outfit screening will be no problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
So, all hostiles in the Drug Huts objective card had range 0 and a soldier in an adjacent location card as their targets?

During the next turn there were no reinforcements coming - whether in the Drug Huts objective card (to screen the huts), nor in the adjacent location card (maybe to prohibit a movement)?

I ask, because I had all these incidents happened ... and cursed a lot.

It seems You were a lucky guy!

Because of incidents like the ones I described above, when I am on a mission with a target that will be screened, I give at least one player soldier the skill Focus and equip him with the needed weapons to fulfill the mission (i.e. M2 Mines, M72 LAW, etc.). With that outfit screening will be no problem at all.

If you play in a campaign, you can't start off buying Skill cards. You can only get them with VP's earned after a successful mission. So if your first mission has a screened objective, you won't be able to have Focus yet. But you will earn 3 VP's after the first mission, so then you can spend those 3 VP's to buy the Focus card for future missions with screened hostiles. It's also nice because the Skills you buy with VP's don't count toward your Resource total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:

Yes to both questions in the first para.

The objective card had no reinforcement number on it, so I assumed it didn't reinforce.

The adjacent location I had specifically tried to choose with a "none" reinforce, I do that routinely since it seems to me very useful to have the use of the penultimate location with no risk of extra BGs turning up whilst you're about the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
The objective card had no reinforcement number on it, so I assumed it didn't reinforce.

The Drug Huts objective card has Reinforcement 0. So, there can be reinforcements of value 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
Beloch wrote:

The Drug Huts objective card has Reinforcement 0. So, there can be reinforcements of value 0.

Yeah, those 0 reinforcement objectives can be annoying when there is a "screened by hostiles" text on the objective card. Just happened in my last mission (2nd in Insurgent campaign), stupid 0 hostile came out on the Hostile Chieftain objective card after I had already gotten rid of all the original ones (with +3 to hostile value because of d10 roll at end of 1st mission). So that cost precious actions to deal with that hostile card.

Don't take reinforcement 0 lightly, it can be a pain in some situations angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I see the Huts did have Reinforce=0. But I'm 99% sure I played it right. I knew to look on the cards for the Reinforce value, and it's not like it's hidden away.

But you're right to make the point: Reinforce=0 can still be a tricky one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@ Paul S: Maybe You played it right and You didn't draw a hostile card with the value 0. Then, of course, no reinforcements came in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.