Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
In my first 2 player game I easily reached 9 fireballs and had plenty of bodies for more. Is 9 a hard limit? It seems a bit pointless to have all these corpses lying around...

(I know I don't have more fireballs, I'm thinking maybe I could add rerolls?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Bjornseth
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you turn in all your kills for fireballs, then you won't be scoring many points. Are you discarding kills both when getting new fireballs and when scoring cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yep. I had enough critters to get to about 12 fireballs, I'd estimate, while still scoring 27 points (and I had 7 minstrels)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something doen't seem right. Are you and your opponent never using your 'place another tile' bonus action card? Are you stopping movement when changin terrain? In my 2-player games, 7 was the maximum fireballs we achived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mvettemagred wrote:
Something doen't seem right. Are you and your opponent never using your 'place another tile' bonus action card? Are you stopping movement when changin terrain? In my 2-player games, 7 was the maximum fireballs we achived.

We used it all the time. But each tile brings tasty tasty things to eat.

We did have a massive contiguous plains laid out in the center of the map that made it easier to move around, but we were stopping every time the land type on the center of the tile changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I know a lack of discussion is typical of Fragor games where only so many people can ever own it, but this has been sticking in my mind.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2292271/dragonscroll?size=me...

This tells me that there are 64 tiles, with 72 delicious things to eat on them.

My recollection is that 6 tiles were used in our game for volcanoes, so lets take 10% away from 72 and get 65 delightful morsels as possible to eat.

But then lets add in 3 tasty nobles as, burp, we certainly ate them all.

So, 68.

adding 7 fireballs will take 21 of these out of play. I seem to recall that of all my points cards, only two were for eating things (one 4-of-any and one 3-dwarves). I had 4 of the wizards, 3 tile configurations, and 2 multiple-hits-in-combat cards IIRC.

So that means I consumed 28 different things in the game.

Which seems entirely reasonable when 68 targets come up in the game.

No?

My ultimate conclusion is the game really requires tiles to be removed when playing with less than 4. this is offered as an option in the rules. I'm a little concerned with how removing tiles could screw people over in fulfilling their assigned destiny cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I seem to recall that of all my points cards, only two were for eating things (one 4-of-any and one 3-dwarves). I had 4 of the wizards, 3 tile configurations, and 2 multiple-hits-in-combat cards IIRC.

Just to note, the 'multiple hits' cards destroy the things used to score them, just as if you had eaten them.

And...wow...you ate nobles? We've found dropping nobles off one of the easiest ways to score points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
...I was hungry.

We definitely screwed up the one rule then. the BLAZE (is that what they are called) destiny cards were not consuming their targets.

However I also felt the game ran long.

Some podcast or another was discussing this game and described it as luck (draw of tiles) multiplied by luck (draw of cards) multiplied by luck (fireball outcomes) and I'm inclined to agree. I'm nervous about what removing tiles at random from the deck is going to do to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I'm nervous about what removing tiles at random from the deck is going to do to that.

I started to lay out the tiles to see if I could find a representative subset to permanently remove (since I rarely play anything with more than two). I got far enough to decide I'd want to set aside a good chunk of time to figure that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
There are numerous issues raised but since I am at work I will raise the first ones which come to mind

1. Having bodies lying around is described as "pointless". Exactly ! The whole purpose of the game is the winner is the person with the most points. Why not use these "bodies" to score more points ? If you do not have the appropriate Destiny card then you should be using your additional action to obtain them. You say you had 7 minstrel tokens. Why not use these to avoid minstrel tokens if not using them for points ?

2. Depending on the timing of not cashing in for the blaze cards this would have had an impact on the speed of your fireball development.

3. The timing of the game is dependent on how the players play. The game ends when the tiles run out. If I was ahead and you had more fireballs than me then I would be a) taking an extra tile as my extra action when appropriate and b) placing it in a way to make a large area for volcanoes thus speeding up the end of the game. Both would end the game sooner.

4. If my opponent had more fireballs than me then when placing a tiles I would try to place them in a way which minimised the number which could be hit on the one attack. They should also be placed in a way to make movement more difficult.

More to come. Over the years we find to an extent that gamers are less willing to look at depth and strategy in a game when it has cute pieces While Dragonscroll is not Squad Leader there is more to it than meets the eye.

Cheers meantime,

Gordon
Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

(edit last sentence in point 1 as it came across in an aggressive way I did not intend !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.