Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
Chas posted these sample Communist Chinese counters from the upcoming KWASL module last night on Facebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
Japanese Commies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. What is KWASL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Korean War ASL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the red stripe have to go all the way across the sheet? Would it not be better to have the stripe inside each counter to make reduced squads less obvious in a stack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:
Why does the red stripe have to go all the way across the sheet? Would it not be better to have the stripe inside each counter to make reduced squads less obvious in a stack?

The Japanese are striped all the way across too, so it's consistent at least:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:

Is this really an issue? Just looked at my punched but as yet unplayed RS counters & seems that it's just as noticeable that they're flipped when reduced anyway....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek Carnelian wrote:
bk_otj wrote:

Is this really an issue? Just looked at my punched but as yet unplayed RS counters & seems that it's just as noticeable that they're flipped when reduced anyway....

Right, not much of one. Flipped counters can be picked out in a stack and Nippon infantry only get striped as a result of an attack so it's already known; playing hide and seek to disguise flipped counters from non-flipped ones is not a significant tactic halfway through a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:

It's easier for printing. The printing process is not perfect, and misalignment is a common problem. (See, for example, some sheets for FB.)

In a perfect world, I would prefer that the red lines did not extend all the way to the edges. Concealment can be an issue during play. It can also be an issue in scenarios that have "striped" units in the at-start OB (c.f. AP9).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark

Coralville
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
They cant upgrade the counter graphics?
It makes sense for ASL to use the same graphucs from 30 years ago, but this is a new war and all new modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cccjclark27 wrote:
It makes sense for ASL to use the same graphucs from 30 years ago, but this is a new war and all new modules.

Well, I am sure they could, but then you would have one "minor" module with fancy new graphics and the rest of the entire set with old graphics. Hence, some people would demand new graphics for everything and others would be very annoyed at what looks like a ploy to resell all the old modules with new graphic updates.

But, like they did do with the maps, it should be possible to offer new graphics on countersets rather than entire modules. and while they are at it, why not some more systems counters? because there are just not enough in Beyond Valor cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IIRC, these are just playtest counters - not the final version that goes into the product.

I think the depiction is that of the current Russian counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
cccjclark27 wrote:

If they created new counter graphics for the KWASL-specific units, that would make them inconsistent with the regular ASL counters that will be used in the KWASL scenarios (since unit counters from, at minimum, Yanks and FKaC will be used and maybe BV too (I haven't heard whether the North Koreans are getting a unique color scheme or using the Russian color scheme)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark

Coralville
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
I didnt realize KWASL was still tied to ASL modules.
This makes it a little less compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
cccjclark27 wrote:
I didnt realize KWASL was still tied to ASL modules.
This makes it a little less compelling.

Well, making the module entirely self-contained would make it substantially more expensive (since it would be necessary to duplicate a bunch of counters from existing modules plus add some duplicative boards), and since there aren't a lot of "exclusive" Korean War gamers, I'm pretty sure MMP calculated that it made a lot more sense to publish it with dependencies than making it self-contained. In any event, FKaC is still currently in print for now, BV3 will be back in print in a few months, and Yanks will likely be reprinted this year (or early next year at the latest it sounds like), so it should not be too hard to pick up the prerequisite modules in close proximity to KWASL's release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ballard
United States
Whitehouse
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chinese troops in Korea didn't wear helmets. Why not just use soviet counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballard wrote:
The Chinese troops in Korea didn't wear helmets. Why not just use soviet counters?

(A) The counter art reportedly isn't final (the art that's on there is just the Russian counter art).

(B) Russians don't step reduce; the step reduction dynamic is important in terms of balancing the Chinese against Americans. (Like the Japanese in WWII, the Chinese strategy in Korea was to overcome the American advantage in firepower by a willingness to take much higher casualty levels than most Western armed forces of the period were.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ballard
United States
Whitehouse
Ohio
flag msg tools
I would like to see quality artwork if we are gonna drop $100 for this module(and you know we will). Critical hot did a fantastic job on their ccf counters. Please, please make these look like Korean War chinese. I have been waiting for this module for ten years. Of course, I'm buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ballard
United States
Whitehouse
Ohio
flag msg tools
Critical HIT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballard wrote:
I would like to see quality artwork if we are gonna drop $100 for this module(and you know we will). Critical hot did a fantastic job on their ccf counters. Please, please make these look like Korean War chinese. I have been waiting for this module for ten years. Of course, I'm buying it.

As I commented back in February, the counter art above was not final and they were using the Russian counter art as a placeholder on the counters during playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.