Fleet Commander: 1 – Ignition» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Initial Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: these impressions are from only two battles, so they have exactly that much authority, and no more.

Components are solid. The miniatures are not artistically painted, but they are good-looking and quite serviceable. This is a game where the minis serve as 3D counters for a game of combat, not a game where the minis serve as displays of skill at assembly and painting.

The rules are simple and quickly learned. They are obviously allowing for new rules (new ships, weapons, terrain, other things) to be added later.

Minor quibble: the rulebook in the game is too big for easy use as a rules reference during play. A smaller Quick Reference card would be nice, especially when the game gets larger with later expansions.

First impression is that this is a luck-driven shoot-fest almost free of any tactics. Everything seems driven by dice, so your movement, your firepower, and your defenses feel completely random. You just pile ships together into maximum firepower stacks, move into contact and start shooting.

Second thought proves that this is not a correct impression. While the die roll results are random, which dice you choose to roll and what you choose to do with the results is not. Tactics are about trying to impose order on chaos through choices, and this game gives you that chaos and those choices.

Example:
The enemy's battleship was in the center of a battleline, flanked by frigates and destroyers. My battleship and destroyers were in contact, but my frigates were blocked by asteroids. Through the use of three movement dice (one saved on the Command Bridge) my frigates were able to run around the asteroids and the enemy flank, becoming adjacent to his battleship from behind and allowing a mass coordinated attack by every surviving ship in my fleet that did 10 points of damage to the enemy battleship.

There are subtleties still to explore in this game. Using "Special" results to change the direction of regular die results, for instance, or the best way to use gravitic fields.

I like this game. It plays fast, allowing exploration of what look to be deep depths of choices. With the hope of expansions to come, this could become a mainstay of my gaming room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wasn't aware it was available.

thanks for your comments. I was following this game and then when I saw a previous "review" it came across as nothing more than dice and luck and so I had decided to avoid it.

your comments have reignitedlaugh my interest, let us know more about it as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Martin. I too was turned off by an earlier review, and now may give this game a second look. Thanks very much for your work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Campbell
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks for the review...you almost got me with your first impression. My heart sank a little bit, but a good rebound on the followthrough. I'm strongly considering picking this one up to have a tactical miniature game that can be played in the middle of a board game night. Hopefully it will fill the niche I wanted Battleship Galaxies to have filled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the gameplay video and I was a bit turned off. Seems completely random like what the OP had mentioned. There didn't really seem to be much reason to choose certain paths since it was all based on what you rolled. Anyway, I could see this as a fun game for much younger kids, but I'll have to pass. Ships look cool, but way too pricey for what this game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.