Subject: Help im lost,(whats new) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Neugebauer
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
blushOk I have managed to completly confuse myself on how this game works and I really need help.
Question
1. If Im the first player and I choose building track as my first action am I the only player that can build track that action or am I the 1st player to build track that action, followed by all the other players that want to build track. Then am I allowed to build only 4 sections in that action or do I build 4 then the other players build there 4 and then I build 4 more until I complete a link,the reason I ask is because im not sure how to build a long link to a remote city if its always an unconnected link (because its say 5 hexs away from another city and I can only build 4 track hexs)and it is wiped out in phase 3.
2. Delivering goods, are you only paid for goods that make it to the city of the same good color or are you paid every time you move the good to another city and its when it reaches a city of the same color that the good is removed.
3. Can you move goods into an emptied city and get paid for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
viking21crn wrote:
1. If Im the first player and I choose building track as my first action am I the only player that can build track that action or am I the 1st player to build track that action, followed by all the other players that want to build track.

You build track, then the other player, in order, each choose what they want to do. So one might build track, another might upgrade a locomotive, etc.

viking21crn wrote:
Then am I allowed to build only 4 sections in that action

Yes, just four, or five if you have Perfect Engineering.

viking21crn wrote:
or do I build 4 then the other players build there 4 and then I build 4 more until I complete a link,the reason I ask is because im not sure how to build a long link to a remote city if its always an unconnected link (because its say 5 hexs away from another city and I can only build 4 track hexs)and it is wiped out in phase 3.

The idea is that you might need to choose Build Track two or three times in the same round. So if a city is 6 hexes away, and it's your third action, you can't get there. But if it's your first action, you can, providing you choose Build Track again as your second or third action.

viking21crn wrote:
2. Delivering goods, are you only paid for goods that make it to the city of the same good color or are you paid every time you move the good to another city

The same colour.

viking21crn wrote:
and its when it reaches a city of the same color that the good is removed.

Yep, the good is removed when it hits the same colour.

viking21crn wrote:
3. Can you move goods into an emptied city and get paid for them.

Yes, I think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viking21crn wrote:
2. Delivering goods, are you only paid for goods that make it to the city of the same good color or are you paid every time you move the good to another city and its when it reaches a city of the same color that the good is removed.

Just to clarify:

When you move a goods cube it must go to a city of that color in that action.

You must have an engine of an advanced enough state to make it all the way from the start city to the destination city. You cannot move a cube only part of the way to the destination city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Neugebauer
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
blushOk im almost on track, maybe
Im still not sure how you make any money. If it costs you $11,000 to invest in track and move a cube one link for $3,000 whats the point, you very soon tap out a city and your investment in the track is more of a poor choice? I set my board up just to see what im missing and this is the example Nashville has 2Y cubes and 1P memphis is a yellow city but its cubes dont match nashville by my estimation it would cost $11,000 to build to memphis were i could deliver 2Y cubes for $3,000 each or a total of $6,000 a net loss of $5,000. I only see 2 cities in which this is not the case. All my game nights are 4 to 5 players so I can see this becoming a welfare state real soon. BUT of course im missing something and thats what you all are for. If the cities had more cubes I could see the investment being worth it but to tap out a city in 1 turn doesnt seem worth it???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you move a cube in RRT you get a VP per link: three links is three VPs. The same cube can be worth 1 VP or 8 VP depending on how you move it. You get income every turn based on your position on the VP track (but you have to pay dividends on shares). Early VPs will get you more than $1000 per VP; VPs far along the track will lower your income. At 98 VP your income holds at $9 for the rest of the game.

(Edit to correct >100 VP earnings.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, firstly you need to sit down and read the rulebook a few more times! The actual rules bit is only four pages or so. Before you play with other people, set up a 3 player game by yourself, and just read each sentence of the rules and move the bits around as you do so. It'll start to make more sense then.

The cubes that each city begins with are random (you pull them out of that funky black bag). So a yellow 2 city might start with a red cube and a blue cube. And cities can get more cubes from certain cards, or from the western link, or from minor cities becoming urbanised.

Also, you don't get any money right away from a delivery. You just get one point per link the delivery passed through, then at the end of each turn you get income based on how many points you have. You can get points from delivering, or from cards. And your points don't go away at the end of the turn, rather they build up from turn to turn. The person with the most points at the end wins, even if that person has no money.

The idea is that you make the most points by running long deliveries. Say you upgrade your train to a level 5 locomotive. Then you can move a cube 5 links for 5 points. So if you make a two 5 link deliveries in the one turn, you get 10 points in total, added to your points from your other turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Neugebauer
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
ok so as you advance in points you will after awhile begin to make less money? but your scoring higher also? and cards that advance your point toatal are also advancing you $ total by moving you higher on the list? Am i getting this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
As you advance on the VP track by any means (deliveries, hotel points, cards), the VPs are your score, except for any secret mission you may have that scores at the end of the game. Your income per turn comes off the VP track. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fullimage/88465 if you don't have the game available. Briefly, 0 VP gets you $0; 1 VP to 13 VP get you $3 to $15 (VP+2); you have to go up more than one VP to earn another $ per turn until you peak at 41 to 48 VP which all pay $25; after that, income goes slowly down, 98 VP or more giving you $9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viking21crn wrote:
ok so as you advance in points you will after awhile begin to make less money? but your scoring higher also? and cards that advance your point toatal are also advancing you $ total by moving you higher on the list? Am i getting this?

Yep, that's exactly right. thumbsup

Your income does indeed begin to go down as you make more points. Remember that your income is the money shown on the scoring track minus $1000 per share you've issued. So you need to not go too crazy with the shares, or else once you get to the point where your income is dropping, you'll start losing money.

Anyway, it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. Just set up the board by yourself and play through a game to see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.