Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
he 2 introductory scenarios.
Me: Zentradi
Son: UEDF

First one we played with the pods generating CP (so I coudl ply with CP and make sure we were doing things correclty) , the 2nd scenario we played without the pods generating CP (so I could see how to spread damage by maintaining close proximity)

First scenario, destroy enemy mecha, involved lots of minor mishaps/rule misses.... but in general, the missiles fired from guardian mode outperformed the Regaults antimissile (or dodge )and roll with dmg and I went down fast. with no terrain... it did not feel that cool. and there was very little tactical decision making... but I think mainly I *felt* that way it was because, let's be honest, pods stink... with the Valkyries Hover ability in guardian mode, even with crossfire I would hit on a 6(5), and this can be easily dodged at a CP burn, and then rolled with for another CP burn. I even tried hand to hand, but the pilot skill difference still made it a crap shoot. This was basically a one sided me being pummeled.

The 2nd scenario, move 5 regaults off the UEDF players edge, start with 12 regaults... I decided to forgoe CP to see if I could effectively move and spread dmg on the pods as would happen in normal games. We played with terrain... which made it far more cinematic, and cool, and tactical. Still missiles won the day. however with 12 Regaults, the dice gods even out and I almost took down one Valk, and one was halfway before the volleys overcame my pods. Of course we did not limit it to 5 rounds as we both wanted to play more and solidify the ruleset.

Overall my impression was solid. gameplay is fast, and once the #'s get more entrenched in the brain it will go very fast indeed. I felt it captured the missile flying, pod exploding feel of the animes(macross and robotech)

I am a big X-wing fan, not a fanatic, but seriously enjoy the game swingy dice rolls and all. I was not sure if this would stack up. but honestly, the freedom of movement, the more tactical decisions with CP(or without) won me over... and it feels faster. (Of course I would not be here if I was not a huge Robotech/Macross fan, at least the original series and Macross plus as I did not care much for the invid southern cross robotech master stuff)

My son loved it. X-wing is so much mental measurement and restricted movement that he did not enjoy it as much... ...much to my dismay as he is pretty much my entire gaming group.

My biggest likes are
1) the 6 always succeeds 1 always fails. It made seeing those symbols on the dice much more 'empowering/defeating' and there is ALWAYS a chance of success(or not success)
2) multiple modes, sure this slowed the game down, but the modes felt 'right' except for the aircraft mode(see below)
3) missiles ( I was not so sure, but they feel like the right balance of power and limited ammo) I need to get the Zentradi artillery on the field.. but...

My concerns
1) Zentradi feels pretty underpowered. even with reinforcements, the 10 inch(5 +leap) of the pods will be hard pressed to get back quickly into the action pending board layout. When the female power armor hits I feel like things may even out. but then again the FAST packs and armored valks will hit...(assuming wave 2 hits...)
2) afterburner and aircraft movement. Watching my son play the valks he zoomed in in and guardian mode on hsi next turn for hover and missile use. basically aircaft mode was only for the free 12 inches of movement from afterburner but that was it.

This feels very very off to me... very un-cinematic and lackluster and I will probably house rule something eventually to make flight more smooth. maybe up to 3 turns (change facing) once every 3 inches limited to 45 degree change in nose direction,.. basically trying to make smooth flight curves with the ability to 180. Maybe limit this to pilot skill 3 and above or something. As for afterburner: I will probably house rule that regular movement and afterburner can be swapped. Basically you can zoom foward on afterburner fire and then maneuver, or maneuver, fire and then zoom out.... allowing for some sort of hit and run tactics potentially.
3) Flight and LoS.. still muddling thoughts on this. my aircraft is flying, but behind a building? maybe have a high low rule. if low, LoS may be obstructed if high, LoS is not obstructed by buildings(you are in the air...??? of course building can obstruct line of sight ot aircraft... so I am not sure. but it feels off for me as it is.
4) no point in trying to steal initiative...it is too difficult to do so and the CP has much 'better uses' I could see it happening as a hail mary, but mostly i m guessing it will not be used. This I will make a little easier. maybe 1+X CP and roll 3+X dice, player with spend Y CP to initiative rolls 4+Y, highest # gets initiative. This adds to the CP use and allows one to essentially force an initiative change but at a loss of CP.

Overall I was very happy with purchase. Game is fun. fast and pretty user friendly. the alternating squads and freedom of movement was very nice. Looking forward to playing again.

Side note: some of the model building was a pain, the total volume is a lot. but honestly, This was easier to put together than Shadows of brimstone, (the only other models I have built
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hacker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great report, thanks for sharing. I'm still putting my models together, but I'm excited to try it soon. Did you just do the 2 veritechs versus 6 battle pods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1st scenario was

1 squad: 2 VF-1A's
vs.
2 squads of 3 battlepods each

2nd scenario

1 squad: 2 VF-1A's +1 squad: VF-1A and VF-1J
vs.
2 squads of 6 battlepods each

Honestly it was better and faster playing than I thought it would be. The UEDF forces have the armor to soak up dmg pretty handily. when all 6 battlepods fired on one valk, some amount was guaranteed, but it was always less than I thought. The amount of die rolling seems about perfect. and the Valykrie mode changing is really neat for this type of game as it changes just enough the mecha stats and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We played the 3rd scenario.

a 1A is stuck in guardian mode, no missiles. Must survive through 4 rounds. Has 2 1A and a 1J in reserve. the 2 1A squad can arrive at the beginning of round 3 for 1CP, the 1J during round 4 for 1 CP.

Zent. have 6 pods. 6 pods and a gulag in reserve which can come in at the beginning of round 3 for 1 CP.

Set up is 1 building in middle of board that the injured/stuck 1A must stay within 24 in. of. We built a city around it with significant blocking of line of sight.

1st round:
UEDF won initiative and flew the 1A back towards his side of the baord behind some buildings.

Zent. spent all 6 CP (no Life is cheap ability in this scenario) to try to boost SPD to close the distance. All but 2 succeeded and moved 1/3 of the way across the board.

2nd round:
UEDF gain lost initiative,
Zent. spent 4 CP to boost SPD. but 2 attempts for each of two pods to attempt to get into firing distance. 1 pod had one success and 1 pod double succeeded and moved into firing distance, shot, but missed.
UEDF ran further away from the incoming pods and unleashed with his gun pod and almost took out the close pod which dodged(1CP and whiffed) and Rolled with it(last CP). All remaining pods attempt to close distance...

3rd round: 1CP each spent on bringing squads in (we ruled the new mecha gave immediate CP+leadership and were able to be activated. even rereading the rulebook I am still uncertain, but we had fun regardless.)

UEDF again won initiative. Zent spent 1CP rolled 3d6 and succeeded in stealing initiative, UEDF spent 1CP rolled 1d6 and succeeded in blocking the steal. The 1A squadron that arrived quickly unloaded 2 volleys of missiles and took out the damaged pod and the undamaged pod near the guardian locked 1A.

Zent. With the end of the 4th round signaling a UEDF victory, 3 CP were spent on boosting the Glaug's movement. 3 successes with SPD 7 and leap, the Glaug moved a 42 inches, and then took a shot with its particle cannon(overwhelming and inescapable) but missed on of the fresh 1A's. All remaining pods attempt to close distance... but unlikely to arrive in time.

4th round:
UEDF again wins initiative. Zent tries to steal but fails. the 1J arrives. the 1A squadron activates and launches 2 volley's at the glaug. antimissile system removes the incoming missiles.

Zent. Goes all out offensive with the Glaug, leaps over the the stuck 1A to get the +1 to hit, spends 5 CP to activate all weapon systems. and unleashes a barrage of fire. the particle cannon whiffs again..(sigh), the dual rails whiff, the other dual shots whiff. (3 stinking auto-fail rolls in a roll) the missiles though...5 hits using volley X... the tiny guns also hit. the 1A is going to take ~32. The modified to hit rolls are high (10) and and the the 1A requires either auto-success(6) to dodge or antimissile (6) both cost a CP.. the dodge attempt fails and even rolling with it... the 1A is obliterated and no more minmei....or rick hunter....

I did not care for this scenario too much. Partly I think we were on too big of a surface(4' by 6'), partly the lack of oomphf(firepower) on either side. the first two rounds were basically getting into contact range... The glaug unleashing all that firepower seemed to stinkin powerful... then again I shudder to see what a tomahawk does...

I still need to 'absorb the rules' While we play if we are unsure, we just go with what makes sense... but even looking back through the rules, I am not sure I would be able to follow exactly what is intended. that being said. the rules are not that bad. but there are not enough examples for clarification. for example. does that 1A get 1 dodge attempt against all those weapon systems for 1CP, or must it spend 1CP against each weapon system? or if 2 1A's in formation both fire missiles is it a anti-missile against both or 2 anti-missile attempts, one per volley?

I will say I like the game... a lot. the heart of it is CP use. and the choice to use it offensively ends up taking its toll... however, at times like above, offensively is exactly how you use it. My son is off and running. we built our first ~300 point game squads afterwards... I'll make a new session report for that, and maybe take some pictures... I think

I am going to make some movement 'strings' for each to help constrain the nonlinear movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:
This I will make a little easier. maybe 1+X CP and roll 3+X dice, player with spend Y CP to initiative rolls 4+Y, highest # gets initiative. This adds to the CP use and allows one to essentially force an initiative change but at a loss of CP.

This is the beginning of a huge improvement on initiative stealing. As you commented, it's a great idea but as it is, it feels REALLY challenging to pull off - to the point of not even trying it.

B Wumpus wrote:
I will say I like the game... a lot. the heart of it is CP use. and the choice to use it offensively ends up taking its toll... however, at times like above, offensively is exactly how you use it. My son is off and running. we built our first ~300 point game squads afterwards... I'll make a new session report for that, and maybe take some pictures... I think.

Looking forward to your battle report. Does the map size seem too small for a 300 point battle? 350 point battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.