Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think this micro game is extremely clever. I want to play it more. But I think we may have broken it on our very first play, and want to understand if we did or if we got a rule wrong.

In essence:

We were playing two player. My wife had the lead on the board with more points showing (upper classes with big scores), and was holding on to the Technomancers as her 2 cards she could keep (to prevent me from making her discard them) while searching the deck each turn for a Cypher Anomaly to end the game while she had the lead.

I had a slightly lower showing score, but was holding on to the Cypher Anomaly and had used the Extractor to remove the second Cypher Anomaly and was preventing the end of the game until I could draw a Technomancer or find some other way to improve my score relative to hers.

So I held what she needed (only remaining Cypher Anomaly or Extractor), and she held what I needed (Technomancer). And the game would go on forever like that?

Because you can hold on to two cards each turn in two player games, is there a way to completely stalemate the game in such matches? I think we did it.

(Eventually my wife threw down a Technomancer because we both figured out what had happened and were ready for the game to end, so I did win, but only because she let me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check here a discussion on the subject with the designer's participation.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1219892/understanding-flow-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that link. We had basically the same issue and worse, because we both were looking for what the other person was holding on to for legitimate reasons and the intuitive (and sound) strategy for both players led to a stalemate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you found it helpful. I responded to your post over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened in my very first 2 player game of this. I'm going to come right out and say that this is a FLAW in the game. The player who gets the Anomalies just needs to hold on to them until the game state favors him/her winning. The deck, which is constantly replenished by "discards" will never run out BECAUSE you can only have 3 cards in play. Though I haven't tried it, maybe raising the cards-in-play limit to 4 or 5, or doing away with it altogether, in the 2 player game may fix it since the deck would run out... ? Either that, or to simulate the reduction of cards in the deck that other players would cause by playing them, have the end-of-turn discards actually be discarded out of the game and not returned to the deck? (reposted from other thread because I wanted this said here as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened on my first game and this is what motivated me starting that other thread. But, it never happened again in many games. At this point, I am blaming that on my inexperience during that first game. I don't feel the need to play a variant of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
. I don't feel the need to play a variant of the rules.

But I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.