Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How do you believe CoolStuffInc sources their stock for their Amazon storefront?
By purchasing copies from the secondary market or other retailers when games sell out to keep prices lower
By holding back inventory from their own stock in order to make more profit off of those copies
      125 answers
Poll created by SparkingConduit

I'm genuinely curious to see how many people believe CoolStuffInc actually sources their Amazon copies from the secondary market in order to keep prices lower than they otherwise would be. It is my firm belief that they take copies out of their website inventory when they see a game selling like hot cakes in order to sell them for much higher prices on their Amazon storefront. I don't believe their story at all, but I am curious to see if others do and why they believe it could be the case. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because CSI often lists products on Amazon the day they come out. How could any of those have been sourced from the secondary market when one does not yet exist? And who exactly is this secondary market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do you believe CoolStuffInc holds back stock of hot games to sell for a much higher price on Amazin?
none of the above.

It uses amazon as an outreach to gain customers via insert when shipping.

And I doubt they make much profit from amazon sales, regardless of how much above the csi price it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do you believe CoolStuffInc holds back stock of hot games to sell for a much higher price on Amazin?
SparkingConduit wrote:
Poll
How do you believe CoolStuffInc sources their stock for their Amazon storefront?
By purchasing copies from the secondary market or other retailers when games sell out to keep prices lower
By holding back inventory from their own stock in order to make more profit off of those copies
      125 answers
Poll created by SparkingConduit

I'm genuinely curious to see how many people believe CoolStuffInc actually sources their Amazon copies from the secondary market in order to keep prices lower than they otherwise would be. It is my firm belief that they take copies out of their website inventory when they see a game selling like hot cakes in order to sell them for much higher prices on their Amazon storefront. I don't believe their story at all, but I am curious to see if others do and why they believe it could be the case. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because CSI often lists products on Amazon the day they come out. How could any of those have been sourced from the secondary market when one does not yet exist? And who exactly is this secondary market?

No one has any evidence of anything about this. So the poll is just "do you think they're (a bgg user btw) lying or not."

Seems pretty pointless and inflammatory if you don't have anything new to add to the discussion about a retailer to just be calling out the truthfulness of posts from other bgg users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably add a choice for "Who cares?" since that would for sure be my vote. CoolStuff is in the business of making money so they can pay their employees, so even if they are, not sure I really care. Also, the amazon audience is different, and are mostly people who are not going to buy $1,000+ of boardgames a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the lack of a "no,i don't think that" option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
pacemaker67 wrote:
none of the above.

It uses amazon as an outreach to gain customers via insert when shipping.

And I doubt they make much profit from amazon sales, regardless of how much above the csi price it is.

Agree. Companies either send Amazon product or set aside product for them and Amazon sets the price according to (their version of) supply and demand.

If people are buying out stock at a higher price then why should Amazon lower the price? Plus they have to have some sort of mark up so they can still make profit with the constant sales.

And all this is why I abuse the Wishlist system to make sure I wait and get things at a decent price. I'm patient, and if other people are willing to pay more for product so as I miss out, then good for them (not bad for me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care what CSI does with their stock, either. I just can't believe that some people actually buy the line that CSI white knights for the gaming customers by buying copies from the secondary market that they then sell at a price below what other scalpers would sell at (but still ridiculously high). Yet quite a few people here take them at their word, which baffles me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, what exactly are you planning to accomplish with this thread and poll? Are you trying to prove something with poll results that are based on nothing but sheer speculation? Are you trying to get an official response out of CSI by spreading misinformation? Or are you simply trying to publicly shame them because you feel entitled to purchase a product from them at a price other than what they're selling at?

There have been numerous active discussions on this subject already in this forum, and this thread is redundant and unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
me thinks you are beating a dead horse... but in any case...

SparkingConduit wrote:
.... price on Amazin

I think you meant Amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be a talent to make mountains out of mole hills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
I don't really care what CSI does with their stock, either. I just can't believe that some people actually buy the line that CSI white knights for the gaming customers by buying copies from the secondary market that they then sell at a price below what other scalpers would sell at (but still ridiculously high). Yet quite a few people here take them at their word, which baffles me.

So the only other possibility is that csi is "holding back inventory from their own stock in order to make more profit off of those copies". Amazon is a very strange beast.

"Amazin"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
me thinks you are beating a dead horse... but in any case...

SparkingConduit wrote:
.... price on Amazin

I think you meant Amazon

Typing on a iPad sucks. I really hate how autocorrect doesn't work on words with a capital letter. Let's just pretend Amazin is short form for amazing online store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case it hasn't been said enough already. I don't care what CSI does with their stock. Shop there or don't, not sure why we have debate it to death?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:
Just in case it hasn't been said enough already. I don't care what CSI does with their stock. Shop there or don't, not sure why we have debate it to death?

But..but..but

I CARE that Star Wars: Imperial Assault costs $73.98 on amazon including shipping from csi and it would cost $74.99 AND shipping from the csi website.

I mean..that's not fair.

And the csi website says they have 20+ available and amazon says CSI has only 8 left in stock.

I mean.. c'mon. Why are they asking us csi users to subsidize their amazon sales.

(done. sorry for beating this dead horse into unusable glue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacemaker67 wrote:
Seththedog wrote:

But..but..but

I CARE that Star Wars: Imperial Assault costs $73.98 on amazon including shipping from csi and it would cost $74.99 AND shipping from the csi website.

I mean..that's not fair.

And the csi website says they have 20+ available and amazon says CSI has only 8 left in stock.

I mean.. c'mon. Why are they asking us csi users to subsidize their amazon sales.

(done. sorry for beating this dead horse into unusable glue)

Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
pacemaker67 wrote:
none of the above.
...And I doubt they make much profit from amazon sales, regardless of how much above the csi price it is.

Surely you can't be serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bootz wrote:
pacemaker67 wrote:
none of the above.
...And I doubt they make much profit from amazon sales, regardless of how much above the csi price it is.

Surely you can't be serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they do. Currently on CSI, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is out of stock, but on Amazon (fulfilled by CSI) has 4 copies in stock for $120.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:

Those bastards at CSI, never telling the truth. They have also denied buying up all the world's corn and rice to starve the children. There are rumors, some substantiated, that they are also secretly plotting to cut down a protected redwood tree or two.

The essence of pure unadulterated evil if there ever was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:

Those bastards at CSI, never telling the truth. They have also denied buying up all the world's corn and rice to starve the children. There are rumors, some substantiated, that they are also secretly plotting to cut down a protected redwood tree or two.

The essence of pure unadulterated evil if there ever was.

Well, how else are they going to make all those meeples for the games they sell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:

CSI has said their Amazon prices are based on what it cost to acquire the game, then they add their usual markup. Nothing about being a white knight (other than acquiring games off the secondary market in the first place, in which case their pricing strategy of cost+usual markup happens to undercut other sellers). And, yeah, I take them at their word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sally Struthers started a campaign against this social injustice.

Sarah Mclaughlin penned a touching song "Nothing above MSRP"

The world weeps.

War has stopped.

Disease has been banished.

My, what a difference this has made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:

CSI has said their Amazon prices are based on what it cost to acquire the game, then they add their usual markup. Nothing about being a white knight (other than acquiring games off the secondary market in the first place, in which case their pricing strategy of cost+usual markup happens to undercut other sellers). And, yeah, I take them at their word.

They did here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16294652#16294652

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Where will the madness end? Selling games (games!!) in a free market society to people who want to spend some discretionary income?

Where in the hell is Congress, NSA, Google and the PTA?

I now live in fear that the world is closer to an end than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.