Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I move my penguin and detach a cluster of hexes, and they are uninhabited, do they count towards my score or are they returned to the box unscored?

If I isolate a cluster of hexes and my opponent's penguin is on the drifting ice flow, does his taking of those tiles constitute his turn, or is it a freebie?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will never recieve a tile unless you move off of it, even if you isolate it.

Your opponent would have to spend turns to collect those fish, yes. Although said opponent would probably leave them for the end of the game, when there is no competition for any hexes, and all hexes have a clear owner, at which point it is no longer a waste of a turn to collect them, as that turn would not be used for anything more productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
You will never recieve a tile unless you move off of it

That's not true. When a penguin cannot move any further, you receive it back with the tile it's on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, you can claim the tiles at the end of the game, once the "fighting" for the other tiles is over.

You will also get the last tile your penguin is standing on.

But ...

Don't just sweep them all off the table into your pile, as you have to be able to legally walk over all of them if you want to claim them.

For example, if your isolated penguin is standing in the middle of a line of 5 tiles, you will only get three of them.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olavf wrote:
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
You will never recieve a tile unless you move off of it

That's not true. When a penguin cannot move any further, you receive it back with the tile it's on.

I'm not sure how to interpret that line in the rules. It says you pick it up, not that you score it.

We interpreted that to mean you pick it up and put it in the box with your penguin. Nowhere else in the game do you score without moving off.

It definitely changes the outcome of the game depending on the answer. What are other people doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mike. You only score a tile if you can move (not pick up) your penguin off of it and onto another tile. So you don't score the last tile that your penguin ends up on.

That's how we played the game originally. Then a player came along and argued that you do play it so you score the last tile your penguin is on. We tried that a few games and it takes some tension away from the game. If you know you can score a 2 or 3 fish tile then of course you will try to end up there but if play the way Mike is describing, then you need to end up next to that tile (after moving off of it) in order to score it (which is more challenging). So now we're back to playing that you do not score the last tile that your penguin is standing on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea to me is that once you move into an hex you "eat the fish", and once you leave it it sinks. So taking the tile with you when you leave it is just a way to keep the score, but the fish were already yours.

Conclusion: when you are isolated in an hex you score it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules actually state that when a player can't move his penguins anymore, he removes both the penguins and the tiles they are currently on, adding these final tiles to his score.

Noticed this in the rulebook yesterday while someone else was teaching the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you positive about that?

I don't think there's anything there about adding them to the final score, which is what's creating this discussion in the first place.

I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it just says you pick up your pengins and the tiles they're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would it say 'Pick up the Penguin and the tile' specifically in the rules? If it doesn't affect your score, that's just like a game saying 'Clean up when you're done playing by picking up the pawns and putting them in the box.' There's no reason to specifically note that.

Regardless, I'm definitely on the 'you get what you stand on' side. It rewards risky and aggressive play slightly more, and that makes the game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. N. Dominick
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yacullo wrote:
I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it just says you pick up your pengins and the tiles they're on.

Why would it tell you to pick up the tile if you weren't meant to score it? If it was meant to be an orphan tile, I'd think you'd leave it on the board. Nobody could get to it anyhow.

For what it's worth, the rules at BrettspielWelt are pretty non-equivocal: "The fish on the icebergs that the players' penguins finish the game on are added to the players' scores."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there it is then. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
If I move my penguin and detach a cluster of hexes, and they are uninhabited, do they count towards my score or are they returned to the box unscored?

That sounds like a variant worth trying sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been playing you do not score the last tile your penguin is on and then I played the other night and was told you do score that last tile. Seems about a 50/50 split on how people play that last tile.

Someone did say the Mayfair FAQ says to score that last tile:

From the FAQ at www.mayfairgames.com :
Quote:
Quote:
Q: Do you get to score the final tiles your penguins are standing on at the end of the game, or are they discarded without being counted?

A: Yes, the final floes that your penguins are standing on when you retire are added to your score. You can just add them to your scoring pile.

It's been awhile since the original threads were posted. Has there been any new answers on scoring or not scoring the final tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.