Popular Tags: [View All]
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall seeing a player aid somewhere that shows the hierarchy for the special ranks in a nice way... I've looked all over for it again, but can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's one of the bigger stumbling blocks for using the extra ranks (W,S,P,H,M,C) - getting people to remember the hierarchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
I recall seeing a player aid somewhere that shows the hierarchy for the special ranks in a nice way... I've looked all over for it again, but can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's one of the bigger stumbling blocks for using the extra ranks (W,S,P,H,M,C) - getting people to remember the hierarchy.

Hey there!

It totally depends on what kind of game you want to play with the cards.

There was no single correct hierarchy intended. Create your own and then make your own reference card to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone with something like M, H, W, S, J, P, Q, K, C, F. I like them all to be paired up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
I've gone with something like M, H, W, S, J, P, Q, K, C, F. I like them all to be paired up.

I like this, but I think I'd put the Castle and Fool at the bottom instead of the top: 0-20, C, F, M, H, W, S, J, P, Q, K, A.

But as I've mentioned before... it all depends on what game you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Just ordered the whole deck on DriveThruCards. Ranking these cards your own way sounds interesting. I'm not sure how I would do it. The order that is proposed seems logical, for the most part.

For starters, I'd probably rank the Castle below the Ace and either above the King (the phrase "King of my Castle" comes to mind, which also is a song, I believe) or just below the Queen (I have the K6T deck, in which there is a Rook, which has a figured tower from chess as the picture; it is ranked directly below the Queen and you could call the Rook a Castle as well).

I wonder which card is meant to act as a Joker, the 0 or the Fool. I thought that the Fool was intended to be the Joker. If that is the case, and it has to be considered as a ranked card, then I'd rank it as the top card, above the Ace. If not ranked, it would be a logical wild card, as the Joker acts as mostly. If the Fool is not intended to act as a Joker, then it depends on what role the Fool has. I mean that ranking it as the lowest face card would be my choice if face cards aren't categorized as royal and non-royal. If the Fool is categorized as a royal face card, however, then I'd rank the royal face cards as (maybe Jack as the lowest, allthough that is not a real royal character) Fool, Princess, Queen, King, Castle, Ace. The non-royal face cards would then probably be ranked as (Jack,) Monster, Sorceress, Wizard, Hero. However, if the M-card is not named Monster, but Mythical instead, then I'd rank it above the Hero, I think.

A Hero, being a non-royal face card in the scenario above, would be ranked above anything else except the Mythical. In my opinion, the Hero should be the "most honoured" character of the human non-royals. The Mythical would be something like a godlike creature, which still would come above the Hero. If the M is a Monster, however, it's just a savage, mindless monster that is more like the lowest rank to me, which makes the Hero the top non-royal card.

The Wizard and Sorceress is something that could be a subject of discussion. Aren't they basically the same thing, except that one is a male and the other a female? If not, which one is more powerful? Is the one good and the other evil?
First, let's say I wouldn't think that females aren't equal to males, but as far as there is theme in decks of playing cards, I guess that it always had a medieval-fantasy flavour to it, taking place in a world in which females would always be considered lesser than males (again, I wouldn't agree with that). If they are equal in the sense of the terms Wizard and Sorceress, and it works this way with the genders, then the Wizard would be ranked higher.
I would also consider the Wizard to be a bit more powerful, if I had to choose. I mean: Isn't he usually older and therefor more experienced and wiser? Isn't power coming from that wisdom for the most important part? Well, I don't know, really.
If they are the same thing, but one is good and the other evil, then the good one would be ranked higher (happy endings).
For now, not knowing what the difference would be between a wizard and a sorcerer, I'll rank the Wizard as the higher card.

In the end I'd like the M-cards to be considered Mythicals rather than Monsters. That being said, my complete ranking for now is 0 to 10, Fool (if face cards aren't categorized) Jack, Sorceress, Wizard, Hero, Mythical, Fool (if it is not a Joker, but a royal) Princess, Queen, King, Castle, Ace, Fool (if it is a Joker). I'd prefer to let the Fool act as either a Joker or the lowest royal face card. It just would make the most sense to me. But I would not dislike it to be the lowest face card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.