Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in the criteria for rejecting images on the GeekMod it says pictures of people playing the game aren't to be rejected outright, yet pictures that are too similar should be. Some games have several of these shots so they seem to continue to be accepted, yet I don't want to get to the point of sifting through 500 images of BGGeeks and their buddies before I can find the image of a box cover.

How many pictures does each game really need of "me and my friends playing [insert game name here]"?

When there are already half a dozen of these photos for a game, submitting yet another comes across as questing for geekgold. I realize that sometimes people may be trying to show some specific aspect of the game or players, but without some sort of caption to point it out I may be too slow to pick up on it. (I would gladly approve of a picture of people playing TTR with the following caption: The night Alan Moon got lost in my home town so I took him home, fed him, and we played Ticket to Ride after which he autographed the game box, my forehead, and my children.)

On the other hand, if "us playing..." photos are just an accepted way to get geekgold and we all agree to be "truly interested" in seeing me and my friends play every game I can get my hands on in front of a digital camera... I guess I can start looking for an avatar!

Is there some direction from the admins on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: GeekMod question: What to do with group of players photo
I think every game should be allowed to have at least one picture of people playing it. I tend to vote "too similar" for the others, unless for special occasions like cons or designers demonstrating their game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a (very) small number per game is probably OK. I declined most of the ones I saw yesterday on the basis that they were adding absolutely nothing of any value to the site and in many the game was almost an incidental part of the photo. Also they were all without captions yuk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling on people in gaming photos is the same I have on people in *any* photo.

I have found that when I take pictures of famous landmarks, scenic locales, etc. they look sterile and postcardy if there's no one in them. Similarly, while pictures of components are important and necessary, they don't capture the liveliness of a game.

So I often approve pictures with people in them. Especially if there are girl people in them. Sue me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Oliver
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gwen wrote:
I think every game should be allowed to have at least one picture of people playing it. I tend to vote "too similar" for the others, unless for special occasions like cons or designers demonstrating their game.

I have just a small fraction of Gwen's modding experience - I just started yesterday. That said, just this morning I saw a group of pictures from a new session. The game in question already had some group play pictures.

It struck me as sensible to approve the best picture from this new batch (there was one or two that were very nice). Approving all of them seemed overkill, and it also seemed a bit harsh to exclude one on the basis that a group photo was already in the DB. Sans captions, there's no way I could figure out if a picture included a game designer or was from a con, so I'm lost in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.