Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had watched reviews and read postings here on BGG so I was anxious to experience the game. It arrived from CSI today and I got it to the table this evening. Cutting to the chase, we loved it!

The best part was that after the first playthrough we all thought we had some ideas of how to better approach the game. Then we shuffled and dealt out a new set of cards and, whoa, the 9-pip and thief cards weren't there. Suddenly, our well laid plans were thrown out the window. Now I didn't have to worry about people stealing my stock certificates so that became a focus of one of my dice. And without the 9-pip die I had to get more creative landing where I wanted to.

I've read people's posts about variants and underperforming dice. I am always amused how quickly people want to insert variants with a new game rather than just have fun with the game as is. Appreciate the designer's effort and go with it. Take all those variant suggestions and design your own game. Leave Stephen's alone. :-)

As for the value of various dice, there are strategies for them all. Be creative. Luck is a big enough part of this game that anything can work and that's a quality that everyone at the table really enjoyed. This game is a nice break from some of the heavier games we play and just plain fun.

My hope is that there may be new dice faces and cards in the future. Think of the possibilities!

Great game, great fun. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Serenjyn wrote:
Leave Stephen's alone. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Seriously, thanks for the kind words. Rattlebones was designed specifically for the family game market.

However, if more serious gamers want to widen that audience with variants, I see no harm. I'm honored that the game means that much to them, in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
to insert variants with a new game rather than just have fun with the game as is. Appreciate the designer's effort and go with it. Take all those variant suggestions and design your own game. Leave Stephen's alone. :-)

OP, I can't help but think you are talking to me. Let me be clear in that I hold Mr. Glenn's efforts in creating a one of a kind game in the highest regards and am glad to have an opportunity to own a copy. The concept is very interesting and I am curious to see more done with it.

However, I would argue that any variants that are posted, in an effort to expand the decision space of the game, by people who have played the game, are no less valid than your desire to play rules as written, and the designer seems unopposed to the idea.

Obviously, nothing tangible will come from our difference of opinion, and I am certainly glad your group is very satisfied with the out-of-box experience. As a family game, this hits the mark, but I merely suggested that some more competitive, possibly cerebral play might be available via the variants I suggested, or other means.

If anything, I am thankful that the game system is simple enough to allow for modification with no additional components. Besides, you mention an anticipation for new die faces and tiles. Feel free to treat variant rule sets as such if you ever wish to spice the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I broke this out tonight. We are usually into heavier games but we had a blast. I could definately see more die faces in the future. We played a handful of times and had a blast just trying to build dice. Then rebuild them.

Really fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.