United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, so I have:

The fan created rulebook and
The original boxed game.

Do I need anything else to properly play Myth? Like do I need to print out cards, or read errata, or do a little dance, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be helpful to print out the FAQ as well. I learned by reading the fan-made rules and then watching the tutorial videos then re-read the fan-made rules. Having the FAQ helped smooth out parts of the game during my first couple of plays.

The newer cards are not a strict necessity if you have the FAQ but having them handy (printed, on a tablet or laptop, or something) can be helpful. There were a few cards that I could not figure out without referencing the 1.1 update.

Yes, this game is a lot of work to prepare and learn. I found it to be a lot of fun once I got in to the learning curve. Still plenty to discover! One word of caution, not knowing you or what you like, this is more of a video game than a tactical combat game so winning relies of having the right combo in the right situation. Maneuver is important (you have to get to the right place for many of the combos to work). This is usually easy to do (I have not even played all the heroes!) because there are "only" 30 cards in a hero deck so hand management is pretty easy.

This game draws heavily on several genres of games (tactical miniatures, video games, strategy games and, of course, the whole fantasy genre) and I think it works well at blending them. It is not easy to learn (unless taught by someone who really knows the game and can teach it) because of the intricacies of how the simple rules are sewn together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dancing is essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you, Martin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
Dancing is essential.

As is a sacrifice every full moon

Seriously, watch the gameplay videos. A lot will be made clear. I'd say: print the cards out (cheaply on an inkjet) and sleeve the cards. Some of the cards and items have changed in version 1.3 so you might as well do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
I'd grab a copy of the proxies PDF from BGG and print out the Crawler and Grubber pages, along with the related Captains. They are well-done and easy to use.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/102113/myth-creature-proxi...

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
What a sign of the disaster that a well-meaning poster can pose the question, "I have the product they sold plus the rulebook-as-fixed-by-others, can I play this game?"

Sadly, the answer is probably most honestly answered, "Probably, depending on your expectations."

I say this as one who backed the project on Kickstarter, stupidly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be a sign of the apocalypse that the instant backlash has not hit this thread yet,........ Wait for it,...

In all seriousness,..... The game has a lot of cool mechanics all happening together,.... It's worth the prep time if you like the game.

For those that are not into this type of game,... The extra effort can be infuriating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maycon Oliveira
msg tools
Well..

Myth is the most complicated game i ever played, and nothing i want to know is on the manual. There is a huge preparation to play the game. Bigger than the time playing.

Simple questions like in the first mission that say we start without one of the base equipment:

If i am the archer, and i have to choose between the bow and the quiver:

1 - If i choose the quiver. How i shoot the arrows? (distance, melee??)

2 - If i choose the bow, how many arrows do i have?

After foruns, manuals and faqs the answer 2 was solved.

Then the reprinted cards came (Patch 1.1) . I printed then using a high quality printer and then?????? The CARDS CAME AGAIN (Patch 1.3). This time i will print with a crap quality and wait to see with they will sell the cards sometime in the future.

And so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I download the fan created rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
givver wrote:
Where can I download the fan created rulebook?

Here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/105131/unofficial-manual-r...

Be aware it's about 99% complete. Some info is still missing... But it's definitely a lot more usable than the official rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.