Subject: Mantle of Fate question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has been really lucky in drawing the Mantle of Fate for her Apprentice.

It says: "Once per roll, you may set 1 FD to any result".

Does this apply to only her Apprentice hero only, or to or can she change 1 FD die roll from anyone? (this comes from the v1.3 item card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wondered this myself. If the FD-fixing power applies to the wearer's own rolls, then it's a lovely buff that helps (or guarantees) that you get your Fate Recipes - nice with the Wand or the Staff, for example.

If it applies to other Heroes, then it's an awesome buff, guaranteeing that people get their -1 Threat, stay in Shadows, overdraw their bows, etc. In fact, this seems way too powerful, especially because there seems to be no limit to the number of times this can be done - just every time anyone makes a FD roll. Whew!

If it applies to monsters, then it's almost a weapon. Shamblers don't get to resurrect, Crawlers don't get to poison, Yardu doesn't get to do that thing where he runs around hitting everybody. Again, there seems to he no limit, other than "once per roll".

I'm inclined to think it's the first option, a personal buffer. Why?

1. Aesthetics. It's a mantle. You wrap yourself in it. It doesn't touch anyone else.
2. Balance. No other treasures have such far-reaching Fate powers. For example, the Helm forces a reroll of FD used against the wearer, but, interpreted liberally, the Mantle would let the wearer interfere with any FD used by anybody against anybody
3. It doesn't give a range. This is the clincher. I think, if it said " Range: 3" or "Range: Tile", I'd accept that it affects FD rolled by other Heroes or monsters, but without this infirmstion we have to conclude it only affects the wearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Harfmann
Austria
flag msg tools
Exactly my thoughts when I read the updated card.
But I was more confused by the phrasing. 'Set 1 FD to any result' instead of the usual '+1FD'.

So I think what that means is, given that Mantle of Fate is a Blue Item card and its only other ability is an added move point, that you can choose a fate symbol and add that to your result.

But since it's an item card, I guess only the character who has it is able to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is that, while wearing the mantle, you can roll your own FDs for any of the other Items you've got, then pick up one of the rolled dice, turn it to show the symbol you need, then set it back on the table again.

So, if you have a single-symbol Fate Recipe, like the ARCANE from your twig that gives you -1 Threat, then you can tip one die over to read ARCANE and fulfil that Recipe. In effect, you _always_ get the single-symbol Fate Recipe while wearing the Mantle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I WANT it to be applicable to ANY FD roll, because that would allow me to activate my Horrible Spear more often. (Sad fact: I only activate the Spear's FD when I'm attacking ONE enemy).

I guess this is MCG's (in)famous habit of being very lax/casual with their terminology. They KNOW what the intent is.... But are horrible at communicating it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Great community among us fellow Myth-ites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me the Trickster wearing the Mantle of Fate could ensure his Jagged Stone _always_ rolled Guile, so that he _always_ picked up something from the discard deck at the start of each HC.

On the other hand, there are several traps and Darkness Events that force each player to roll 1FD to determine whether they are a target or not... Would the Mantle apply here - or are these "meta" rolls and is the Mantle only supposed to buff rolls that the _Hero_ (rather than the player) makes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
It occurs to me the Trickster wearing the Mantle of Fate could ensure his Jagged Stone _always_ rolled Guile, so that he _always_ picked up something from the discard deck at the start of each HC.

On the other hand, there are several traps and Darkness Events that force each player to roll 1FD to determine whether they are a target or not... Would the Mantle apply here - or are these "meta" rolls and is the Mantle only supposed to buff rolls that the _Hero_ (rather than the player) makes?

"Once per roll, you may set 1 FD to any result"

Quite open to interpretation, isn't it?

Well, it IS called the Mantle of Fate, so... and it IS a blue item. If we let it apply to ALL die rolls (even if only for or against the wearer only) it's still pretty powerful and means the wearer is nigh untouchable (as far as FD rolls go).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Its been a while since I've watched ... don't they use Mantle of Fate in the videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
flag msg tools
Go Leafs Go
mbmbmbmbmb
The mantle is actually the only item we house-ruled out. With the twilight sword, the solider resets the darkness meter almost every roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Its been a while since I've watched ... don't they use Mantle of Fate in the videos?

Good call, MM. I re-watched it. It's the one with the Boss fight. It SEEMS it's only for the hero wearing it... but then every time the Brigand rolled, he got his FD symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

Good call, MM. I re-watched it. It's the one with the Boss fight. It SEEMS it's only for the hero wearing it... but then every time the Brigand rolled, he got his FD symbol.

I think this is just for the Hero wearing it. That's how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Chinkster wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

I think this is just for the Hero wearing it. That's how I play it.

Yeah. I think so too. That's how we've been playing it as well.

It's probably best not to rules lawyer it, due to the vague wording... since we all know that's MCG's "forte"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.