Subject: FAN EXPANSION - Hunter's Arsenal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alias Cognomen
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
Greetings, fellow runners. If you're like me, you want more, more, more; you can't get enough Shadowrun (or board games)! In the hopes of bringing more fun and customization to your tables, I present the first draft of a little set of custom cards for all to try.

ROLE CARDS
First up is a concept many have mentioned before: more varied roles. This set should be straightforward, adding a secondary role to the primary and thus altering one's starting deck. This is especially useful in 3 player games, as it can help make up for the lack of a dedicated role.

ABILITY CARDS
Now the fun stuff! These cards are abilities runners can spend Karma to purchase; just like the upgrade stickers. The ability cards have an activation cost the runner must pay, then the cards ability is resolved. Most cards are activated by spending colored damage (sort of like attacking an obstacle) or by simply discarding Black Market cards that add up to a certain nuyen cost (in which case the Black Market cards don't resolve their text).

The Ability cards have designated role colors. It's up to you whether you want to limit them to only being purchased by runners whose primary role matches, while the yellow cards should always be purchasable by anyone, so long as you are having fun.
One variant that adds a chunk or randomness to a run is to divvy out 2 random Ability cards to each runner. The color of the Ability cards determines that runner's role card, with yellow being runner's choice!

LOCATION CARDS
This small set of cards represents various places runners can find themselves throughout the city. Locations have effects that apply to all runners and obstacles facing them as long as they are in that location. Once during the end of a runners turn, they can move to a different location. Obstacles would follow the runner, just like normal.
At the start of a mission you can draw 4 random locations to be in play. There will also be custom missions that can present rules such as only having one location out at a time and drawing a new one each scene.

BONUS GLOBAL OBSTACLE CARDS
These large format obstacles do not face any single runner, but rather are set to the side for any runner to attempt during their turn. They give large bonuses if completed but themselves do not advance completion of the mission. I suggest that before a mission the Global Obstacle deck be shuffled and one obstacle chosen.

All the cards are formatted for printing from printerstudio.com, and the set of individual cards can be downloaded from google drive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0w5R_pkpG_AOVB5QjdtNzJ3Nn...

Of course, everything in this set is open to comments. I welcome feedback and ideas for changes and even more cards. I can't personally guarantee any degree of balance from the ability cards, but they should provide some interesting moments. Mostly I hope you can get some fun out of this set.

DONT SUE ME
This project has no affiliation with or permission from Catalyst Game Labs or anything Shadowrun. While I made the simple graphic design of the cards, that alone was boring. All the art is made by various artists who have no affiliation with this set, but are attributed on each card. I hope that while enjoying playing with these free cards you can also enjoy the works of the artists and give them props for their work, too. This fan expansion is free and not intended for profit. Have Fun!

VERSION 3 2/20/2015
-4 Role Cards of each color (16)
-6 Ability cards of each color (24)
-5 Ability cards of general color (5)
-17 Location cards, oversized (17)
-7 Optional Global Obstacles, oversized (7)
coming soon: Custom mission
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely need to keep an eye on this project. Great stuff so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. Keep tweaking it! Subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. Someone should hire you.

I couldn't help but notice you've included several things from the Shadowrun FPS. For me, that's a good thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Cognomen
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for your interest and support, everyone!

I decided to slap together a few new Location cards to see just how far I could stretch making an expansion to the base game. They are fairly simple but add a really interesting tactical aspect to the game!
Next update will be a couple of bonus obstacles and maybe a custom mission that will use all the custom cards.
Pump up your Karma!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.

Moorhead
Minnesota
msg tools
Looks great so far, you did a good job of maintaining the card style. Might want to watch the text margins on a few cards. Seems like there should be some minor balancing changes as well, some of the cards seem a little too good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Cognomen
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
I'm glad there's a few eyes on this little project. There are indeed a few callbacks to past shadowrun products in there, like the Xbox/PC fps game and several quotes takes straight out of old sourcebooks!

ankler wrote:
Looks great so far, ... some of the cards seem a little too good.

You are certainly correct; to get a balanced number of cards for each color I had to start spitballing a few ideas without testing them, which led to coming up with different ability costs and even different ways of activating the abilities.
Feel free to tell me which ones are too borked, I love playing around with them, whether changing the activation costs or even changing the ability entirely. Hopefully I can get a "print ready" version happening soon once a custom mission or two is ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Cognomen
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
Huzzah! Update 3 - More Locations and Global Obstacles

Somehow I was able to make a whole new set of location cards! Now it really feels like an actual deck.

A few Global obstacles are ready for playing, just pick one at random and put it in play for all runners to try to defeat, simple and rewarding.

And of course, you can download the whole caboodle of Hunter's Arsenal Version 3 from Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0w5R_pkpG_AOVB5QjdtNzJ3Nn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive. Let me offer some (hopefully, constructive) criticism:

I would be hesitant to use some of the roles, because a long time fan of SR, I try to keep my games as canon as possible. And in SR, there are no zealots or shoguns. And introducing new terms to the games kills my enjoyment of it, significantly.

You already used all from http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Archetype but shaman. Tough...

To keep it more SR canon, I'd suggest few renamings:
* Zealot Role -> ?
* Ringleader Role -> Negotiator?
* Cyber Role -> maybe Razor here?
* Razor Role -> Adept Role (more fitting than the current mage/social)
* Shogun Role -> ?
* Magician Role -> Shaman Role
* Adept Role -> ?

Now, some nouns that have more SR feel to them: Mercenary, uh....yeah, I am running blank here, but I'd try to go with generic profession terms rather than invent things unheard of in the SRverse, like Shogun.

Abilities: nice, but I am not sure I understand what makes them different, mechanic-wise, from the upgrade stickers?

Love the locations, the only comment I'd have is that I'd try to design them as horizontal cards... but that's really nitpicking.

Global obstacles: pretty nice idea.

What my group would want to see, btw, would be races and more black market cards rather than totally new mechanics - but I will see about playtesting your ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Cognomen
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for checking it out, Prokonsul Piotrus!
I agree with you on the names, I'll make some of those changes. Kicking myself for not using Shaman. As you can see, finding 16 archetype names is tough. I've found threads in various places where these very role names were discussed.
For this expansion set, my main goal was to make it easily able to integrate with the existing game, which mostly meant making new decks that don't get shuffled in with the official stuff. This is mostly due to the near impossibility blending in custom printed cards with the originals. Even sleeved it can sometimes be possible to tell if the top card of a deck is a custom one. But alas, it can't be helped.
The ability cards did start as just custom upgrade stickers, but they quickly grew in text length and complexity, thus leading to their current form. They really are just large custom upgrade stickers!
I'll explore the possibility of custom races, minotaurs and gnomes would be fun, maybe even some Meta-Human Vampire Virus stuff? Then perhaps each race could have their own trait or ability - oh now you've got me going...
Well, before I get carried away again I'd be happy to punch up the names for the next update, there's already a few cards that have some text changes to make them read more clearly or balance a bit better. Thanks again for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having printed a bunch of PtP/fanmade cards for a bunch of games, I find that if you print on regular paper, use a Magic card, and simply sleeve a front and back printout together with the said Magic card, it's pretty convincing. Not perfect, but usually not much of an issue.

Your ability to design cards is pretty awesome I wish I had your designer skills, I just designed a bunch of cards myself but I lack the skills to make them into anything printable

Races, I feel, should be easy to do, mechanic wise. They could be either variations in the base 3 stats, or could have a special short rule a la a built-in upgrade sticker (kind of like what they did with that promo Oni).

Now, I have given some more thought to your custom role cards. On one level, they are excellent for 2-3 player games, where in our group we long ago house ruled that we create such decks by merging one or two roles and then equalizing the card numbers. On the other, I just don't think we can come up with enough in-flavor names, and any we take can also run afoul of a possible official or fan made expansion. Perhaps rather than try for a night-impossible exercise in cool (coming up with 12 new archetypes), use a cheap and dirty (but also intuitive) solution as follows: Rigger -> Street Sam / Decker , Razor -> Street Sam / Mage, Shoguh -> Street Sam / Face, Magician -> Mage / Street Sam, etc. I thought of adding adjectives to denote primary / secondary role, but there's no room on the cards for that, so perhaps a bigger / smaller font, or Bold vs Italic could be used instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME work Alias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jax B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:

To keep it more SR canon, I'd suggest few renamings:
* Zealot Role -> ?
* Ringleader Role -> Negotiator?
* Cyber Role -> maybe Razor here?
* Razor Role -> Adept Role (more fitting than the current mage/social)
* Shogun Role -> ?
* Magician Role -> Shaman Role
* Adept Role -> ?

My suggestions would include:
Zealot Role -> Policlub Member Role (was a player type in the early editions)
Ringleader Role -> Gang Leader Role
Cyber Role -> Yeah, got nothing for this.
Razor Role -> Physical Adept Role
Shogun Role -> Negotiator?
Magician Role -> Shaman Role
Adept Role -> Social Adept Role
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, there was also a Rocker role in the early SR, wasn't there?

Alias, I sent you some PMs... are you on a break? I'd really like to be able to get your design templates so I could use them in my own mini-expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "Rocker" role was in Cyberpunk, rather than Shadowrun...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jase 69 wrote:
I think the "Rocker" role was in Cyberpunk, rather than Shadowrun...?

Not sure about the role, but the theme was there, I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look fantastic, excellent work. I'm going to have to ***** out a bit of the swearing on one of the role cards so I can play it with my kids though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kd314
United States
cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
aliascognomen wrote:
Greetings, fellow runners. If you're like me, you want more, more, more; you can't get enough Shadowrun (or board games)! In the hopes of bringing more fun and customization to your tables, I present the first draft of a little set of custom cards for all to try.

This is awesome. Cowcow is having a 4 for $20 sale so off they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
herbie wonder
msg tools
mbmb
Whoa! This is awesome. Gonna try these out, especially the locations. I like that idea.

-c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to play around with the location. Mechanic wise was fine, but since they all help the runners, they are not balanced. If using them, the game difficulty needs to be increased and/or karma awards decreased when using them, I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you could only assist runners / attack obstacles at the same location? Thematically, that would make sense and would significantly reduce the strength of locations.

Another option would be to have a single location per scene. That also makes sense thematically and is easy to integrate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Chevalier
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had to say: this expansion is great! I printed the cards and added them. I really love the locations. I want to try the Role abilities, but my characters don't have enough Karma yet. On a 2 player game it's hard to defeat of a global obstacle. On a 3 player game we succeeded in defeating the "Beneath Neon City" global obstacle. It felt like an achievement. Are you still working on this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lamkin
msg tools
Printing this out tonight to give it a run through. Awesome thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
seamless wrote:
What if you could only assist runners / attack obstacles at the same location? Thematically, that would make sense and would significantly reduce the strength of locations.

Another option would be to have a single location per scene. That also makes sense thematically and is easy to integrate.

I am still debating which one I prefer. Having one location per scene really makes the mechanics easy. Having multiple locations per scene, but with the caveat that you can only help those on your locatiom makes it a more specialized game. Having to spend a card to change locations to help makes some real cool mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.