Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] [View All]
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say something to the effect that the start player (assume 4-er game) select the action they wish to take then clockwise from there each other player reveals their selected action.

Question: Does every player select their action card at the same time and each reveals starting with the start player OR does the start player look through his action cards picks one lays it down face up then the next player seeing what the start player chose decides to either pick the same action or something different, etc.. etc..?

Also, when two players select the same action the rules say that a negotiation ensues starting with the player closest to the start player. The example given is terrible because it seems as if the negotiation involves a one-time this is what I'll give you in order to take the action which is either accepted by the other player or countered. If it is countered, can the first player offer something more or do they immediately go to the duel?

Why oh why can't I understand these dang blasted rules?

Has anyone else out there wondered these same things and received a concrete answer from the publisher of the game? Please reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:

However, I've heard several groups talk about choosing actions secretly, and then having all players reveal at the same time. This variant is also supposed to be fun (if a bit chaotic), but isn't the official rule.

This was my interpretation of the rules and the game did seem a bit off. There were times during our game where only one person got an action because we all selected the same action. There were not many regions built as a result and one person ended up with a score of zero because he was trying to enclose a huge area but ran out of time.

As a result, this "variant" as we played it unknowingly was not that much fun for him nor for the rest of us.

Looking forward to giving this game another chance. Thanks for your responses.

- Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm i played this game this summer and I remember it going the following way according to the rules I have in my (German) box:

Every player decides secretly, which action he would like to take. Then all reveal there action. If more then one player (and in a 4-player-game this will happen) has chosen the same action, fighting ehm, negotiation / bribery starts.

The thrill in this is if you should go for the best action (and risk that the other players think the same and you don't have an action this round) or keep a low profile and continue slowly but surely to spread out.

That's the way the first edition played - I don't know nothing about the second print but remembered, that there was a rule - change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Though I don't understand how the paranthetical statement "possibly mutual" could apply. Either you give me ducats or I give you ducats. How could the offers be mutual?

If the action is "collect ducats" there isn't any negotiation - you automatically each get half.

I think the 'possibly mutual' part is supposed to mean that both players can make offers of ducats simultaneously, though only one offer can be accepted and enacted. See this thread for a description: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/77676 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first bought Lowenherz, I read through the threads and finally decided that secretly choosing your action and simultaneously revealing your card is way better.

I've never played the other way after that.

But then again, I'm a guy who played Puerto Rico the wrong way all along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.