Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Ryan Smith
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Hey,
I have slowly been getting my family (9 year old son, my wife, and I) involved in some of the suggested 'gateway' games with good results . . . I have gotten them to play For Sale, Carc: H&G, Blokus Trigon, Ticket to Ride . . . and right now I'm planning for Hey That's My Fish to be the next purchase. Beyond that I would like to take a small step up the complexity scale and was thinking about Citadels or Blue Moon City . . . both sound great from the reviews I have read, but I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback that plays both about which might be the better option for 2 or 3 players, with a younger player involved . . . or would I be better off getting something like Through the Desert or Ingenious instead?
Thanks in advance . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that Through the Dessert and Ingenous are a bit abstract. Good games, but I think they are less likely to get a 9 year old excited. Citadels on the other hand is fun - nothing like getting to assassinate Mom or Dad. Blue Moon City has a nice theme to it, I think, for kids. It plays well with three and plays relatively quickly. If it were me, I'd get Blue Moon City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'l second the Blue Moon City recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Blue Moon City because it scales well from 2-4 players. Another solid game that scales well with those numbers is Thurn and Taxis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually put a plug in for Ingenious. I haven't tried it with my older daughter (7), but my wife has really taken to it. (Doesn't hurt that she seems to be better at it than me.)

I haven't played Blue Moon City, so I can't help you there. Citadels, I just got and have tried only once. I gather that there's a difference of opinion about whether it's better with 2-3 players or 4-6 (or 7). With 3, you end up playing two character (cards) a turn, which struck me as just a little much the first time through. But overall it's pretty easy to figure out, and there aren't so many rules quirks via the cards that you'll go much beyond the "adding some complexity" goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is a marvelous game, and far superior to Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Citadels. Ingenious can somewhat be described as hexagon dominos--it might be good as math practice for your son, but I personally find it a bit dry, as a pure abstract, and I would prefer Torres or Power Grid as math practice. Through the Desert is an abstract with a dusted on theme, as is Torres for that matter; once I got over the pretty camels, I didn't find it enjoyable. I found the same true of Hey, That's My Fish--obviously, I'm not much for abstracts at this time. Blue Moon City is the one of these I've played and chosen to buy. The game is gorgeously illustrated, plays easily*, and has a random board for great replayability. BMC rewards players staying in proximity and interacting to help build the buildings of the city. It plays very well at 3 and 4; I have not played 2, but it should play fine.

*Though BMC has many different kinds of cards (as opposed to the other games I know in your list), the symbols on the cards are very understandable, and take little time to become accustom to. I routinely use BMC to introduce people to Eurogames. At most, they stumble over a few of the symbols early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the feedback so far!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dowd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family (me, my wife, twin 8-year-old sons) is about where you are in terms of games we've played. We tried Citadels about a year ago, and found it a bit too complex, especially because there seemed to be too much for the boys to follow (though the difference between ages 7 and 9 can be major). But everyone really likes Ingenious, and it is a game in which young kids can compete with adults and sometimes win. We just got Blue Moon City, but haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
One suggestion: If you are tempted by the role selection of Citadels, but want the glam production of Blue Moon City, consider Mission: Red Planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and play both Citadels and BMC. Citadels can play from 2 to 8 (and there is a great solitare variant available) and BMC only 4. I found that the BMC player cards and the Citadel role cards to be equally complex to teach. Once you understand them, the gameplay is quick. Both play at around 45 minutes to an hour. For the artwork and components, I would have to give a nod to BMC. Citadels has more direct conflict which is why I enjoy it more than BMC. Citadels is also more portable and inexpensive than BMC.

Both are good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Citadels is not a good choice for younger kids due to the confrontationalism of the Assassin.

Loosing your turn may be too much to take.

BMC is good and even though it is a competitive game, all players are "cooperating" to build the city. Its a good attribute to teach the young uns and a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
I think Citadels is not a good choice for younger kids due to the confrontationalism of the Assassin.

Well, my 8 year old son doesn't like being assassignated, but he loves to assassignate us. It's character building for the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would choose BMC over Citadels if you are looking for the better game for 3 players. Citadel shines with more than 4 players. Less is not worth it IMO. BMC works well accross the board with any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.