19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Intro to gaming suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for a board game that can hopefully be a gateway game for my wife. She's pretty much only into party games (quelf, telestrations, apples to apples). She's also not at all into fantasy/scifi so any thematic games are likely to be a put off.

Any ideas? Believe it or not, I almost got her to play battlestar galactica -- but that was only bc she saw how much fun everyone was having w all the betrayal.

I thought sushi go might even open her up, but I made the mistake of only playing one on one (it's pretty boring head to head)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Splendor
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep

This was a great success for me in the same situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Hudson
Canada
flag msg tools
maybe Steam Park
it has lots of cutesy parts, not a super nerdy theme, and is fairly straight forward and lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra might be a good idea.
+1 carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Coesfeld
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Camel up, witch is kind of a partygame too.

+1 Ticket to Ride

Maybe something abstract like Qwirkle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
My wife was pretty much in to those similar type of games. Of the games that I have, she's quite enjoyed...

The Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep
Snowdonia
The Pillars of the Earth
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people are you trying to get her to play with? Just you, or a group? If it's just you two, maybe an easy-to-learn set collection game like Morels or Jaipur. Both are pretty simple but have enough depth that they could spark some interest in more games, I think.

Is there anything else you can tell us about her tastes or personality? Is she keen on trying new games, but hasn't found the right one yet? Or is she mostly just indulging you?

It's been my observation that some people stick to party games because they only care about games in the social context (in which case, maybe a group game with high interaction like negotiation - maybe Bohnanza or The Resistance ?), whereas others like them because they're uncomfortable being competitive with groups of people who know games better than they do (in which case, maybe playing some lighter, less confrontational 1-on-1 games and slowly ramping up to competitive group games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I'd say that she is certainly indulging me when it comes to games - I couldn't have described it better if I tried. she wouldn't proactively suggest we play any game 1-1; or any non-party game when we have 2 or 3 other people over. But that's why I'm looking for something to change that -- if only ever so slightly.

Of all the recommendations thus far, Im thinking discworld, takenoko, ticket to ride and splendor might be the best options - esp since the gameplay is so straight forward and doesn't have excessive pieces to turn her off before we even start. If splendor was only a different theme, this would be easy -- so I'm leaning toward either TTR bc of its simplicity; Takenoko bc of theme; or Discworld bc (I think) sits right in between.

She knows I'm a discworld fan so maybe that's the way to go. Decisions decisions...

Thanks again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is by no means a gamer and doesnt really get into thematic games. She loves loves loves Takenoko and Ticket To Ride. Also recently my wife has gotten hooked on Dominion, which I found to be weird and good because I really like it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Splendor -- I introduced this one to my gaming group back when it first was available. The guys liked it so much that they gave it to their family at Christmas time. Their wife's always talk about it and it's turned into a family game.

+1 Jaipur
+1 Takenoko

Might I also include some games my wife really likes as well.
Biblios
Paperback
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Squires

Fayetteville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat w/ my wife but I have found a few games that she does like and will even pull out when family is over. I used Ticket to Ride and Tsuro to get her out of the standard games. (which her family has gone on to purchase their own copies). She also likes Love Letter and the Fluxx games. She's had a few rough loses w/ King of Tokyo that is affecting her views of it. Finally this xmas I picked up Jamaica which has been played multiple times these last couple weeks. Almost talked her and my brother-in-law into a game of Spartacus so I must be making some progress.

Just got Pandemic and Forbidden Desert with plans to play this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Find a theme she likes and then find a game about it. My fiancé loves movies. So I tried Hollywood Blockbuster and it is still her favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife also really likes Forbidden Island...She liked it so much I went and bought Forbidden Desert and Pandemic specifically to play with her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181312/item/3531971#i...
for games that wives generally like.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181312/item/3531968#i...
for popular gateway games

I also recommend Würfel Bohnanza which is kind of a party game but not exactly, so she should love it--everyone is involved in every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small warning: If you go with Ticket to Ride, be aware that the base game might not be the best choice for a 2 player experience. If you're going to be playing with her and a group, vanilla TtR is fine, but if it's just going to be you two you might want to look into some of the 2-player specific versions of TtR. For example, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is only 2 & 3 players.

I believe there are a couple of 2-3 player TtR games available, but I haven't played any of them so I can't speak to their quality... I can only tell you from experience that the original game, Europe, and Marklin are all pretty dull when you've only got 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Nordic Countries with two. It was more fun than TTR: Europe, for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.