BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games as team-building exercises? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximillian Larch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a game to use as a corporate team-building exercise for 20 people, preferably in the hour to hour-and-a-half range.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Due to the very large number or people, I'd probably think about having it be both "team" and "competitive" at once.

For example, you could have 4 teams of 5 people. This would allow you to use any 4 player game.

Now, which game? Hmmmm... not easy. Has to be 1.5 hours or less, easy to learn, not to cut-throat since this is about teamwork. It also can't have much (if any) hidden information because people would have to talk about what they plan to do...

...my thought is that if you want to finish in 1.5 hours and have time to talk about moves, the game should be more like 0.5 hours normally. This doesn't leave a ton of games with all of these constraints.

Carcassonne is an idea. Others might have better ideas as I tend to like longer games so don't know alot about the good short games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 games of Shadows over Camelot and probably remove the traitor card..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with teams and playing Take it Easy. You could do it once where all team members cast a secret vote for the piece placement with no discussion, a second time where people talk about it, then cast a vote, and a third time where people talk about it, but one leader makes the final decision.

Then you can talk about leadership styles and decision-making processes.

Just off the top of my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm looking for a game to use as a corporate team-building exercise for 20 people, preferably in the hour to hour-and-a-half range.

You're looking in the wrong place for this. The games on BGG are usually designed for 2-6 players and involve competition and strategy, not team building.

Check out these links:

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Bullets-Initiative-Adventure-Ac...

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Team-Building-Games-Trust-Buildin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
You're looking in the wrong place for this. The games on BGG are usually designed for 2-6 players and involve competition and strategy, not team building.

Bookgnome is probably right, but you could consider Bohnanza. It's a card game that plays up to 7 (so you'd need three sets), it's easy to learn, and it involves a certain amount of cooperation in the trading. It might demonstrate that working as a team is more profitable than going it alone.

Most of the games here are not only competitive and designed for only a few players, they are way too complex to teach to 20 people of various levels of motivation. I wouldn't try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so glad my company doesn't do this team-building crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Parthenon (published by Z-Man Games) was originally adapted from a team-building game created by the designers - I think their name was Siren Bridge Consulting or something similar.

While I'm not a big fan of Parthenon (too random, too long, too blah), I can see traces of the original team-building game within the design - enough to make me think that the original game might have been worth a look for such an endeavour.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Hoopla is great fun for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
We had fun with two quick rounds of Werewolf in an hour and a half slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I thought part of the fun of Werewolf is in creating an atmosphere of suspicion, paranoia, chaos and self-preservation...

not exactly what corporate team-builders might want to see in their organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want team building as in people working together to solve a problem, then I suggest a sort of treasure hunt with teams, or break them up into teams and then give them a description of 5 puzzles/problems they'll have to solve, but only 1 person per team can solve each puzzle. They'll have to strategize ahead of time to figure out their strengths, and then work out the puzzles individually, probably add 1 total group puzzle at the end.

If you want team building more as an exercise for people to talk with each other, pin a famous person's name to their back and have them ask others questions about who is on their back, say 1 or2 questions per person only.

Just some thoughts...

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a coop game that has simple rules and no "overlord/villian"

Shadows over camalot (5 player) is the best I can come up with as well -- but with some variants targetting teambuilding and to promote post game discussion.

SOC Variant "Trust": Tell them there may indeed be a traitor, and what he may try to do. but secretly remove the traitor card from the deck. Cooperation, trust and faith in your coworkers _despite_ suspicions will likely determine if the team wins. The more players you add the easier the game will be if indeed there is no traitor. (Up to 7 players). At the end everyone flips their card and players realize there was no traitor. Leave time for discussion among players of how they resolved/dealt with their suspicions.

SOC Variant "Team Race": Openly playing without a traitor, but track the number of complete rounds, or total time played: out of the 4 teams that play, the team that wins in the shortest time/rounds is declared the "champs". This adds a meta competition to entice teams to work together quickly and efficiently. (The competition is not confrontational with other teams, since it is a "race".) At the end leave time for players to discuss how they dealt with time pressure anxiety when waiting for slower players to move/learn the game. Did a "Boss" player emerge? Was this desired? ...

SOC Variant "The new guy": As in the original method, announce that there may be a traitor, but secretly remove the traitor cards. Let them start playing (4 tables x 5 players). Halfway through the game (or ~1 hour?), select 2 colors at random, announce that the 2 players with pawns of that color must move to the table on their right. Pawns of that color in each game are moved to the castle immediately. Players do not take any items/cards between tables. Teams must continue play as normal. At the end players discuss frustrations they may have felt about loosing team members, frustrations about setbacks this caused, and how quickly new team members were accepted and if suspicion affected their acceptance.

If you like these, then click my geek tip jar!
JH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
But I thought part of the fun of Werewolf is in creating an atmosphere of suspicion, paranoia, chaos and self-preservation...

not exactly what corporate team-builders might want to see in their organization.

Ah, but the shared experience of friendly suspicion, everyone having to improvise a flustered defense up on stage, so to speak. My experiences with "live" werewolf are more party games with people trying to build impromptu trust networks than some hard core win at all cost types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Demo_Boy wrote:
SOC Variant "Trust": Tell them there may indeed be a traitor, and what he may try to do. but secretly remove the traitor card from the deck.

I think you meant "secretly add a second traitor card to the deck".

Here's my "ZBB" Variant: Whenever anyone goes out on a solo quest (full houses, straights), starting with their second turn there, roll the d8; he is forced to abandon the quest on an '8' or higher. Add an accumulative '+1' to the die roll each turn after that.

Wink,

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.