Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Crazy Cat Lady
Components Ready
Designed for the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

In Crazy Cat Lady players must fill the void in their life and cross the threshold into becoming a Crazy Cat Lady! While trying to acquire cats players must balance a job, renovate their home, and deal with general cat maintenance. Plays in 5-10 minutes (or less).

Crazy Cat Lady contains 54 Poker-sized Cards. 54 fully transparent card sleeves and scissors required.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Small Game
Best Hotel Game
Best Thematic Game
Best Game with No Board

How to play video

Download links:
UPDATED May 20th/2016
Latest PnP
Latest Rules

Game, Rules, and Mechanics Copyright Sean McDonald/Tower Guard Games 2015/16 All Rights Reserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Crazy Cat Lady - Designed for the 2015 Solitaire PnP Contest [playtest phase]
Rules UPDATED 14/01/2015 - When you have a pair of Stray Cat Cards played, when you take a free Cat Card, it is only free to take into your hand, but the price to play it still applies.

PnP UPDATED 15/01/2015 - Added a Poker Card edition featuring, you guessed it, BIGGER cards!

Rules UPDATED 17/01/2015 - Job Cards now have a numeric value added to the bottom left of the cards (a major oversight I missed on the first version). The rulebook has been reworded but the only addition to them is to point out that any cards in your hand can be carried over into any following turns. Of course Event Cards in your hand are always carried over until you pay their amount in points, but if you wish you can also carry over Reno, Cat, and Job cards that you haven't played.

Rules UPDATED 18/01/2015 - You cannot pay to remove Event Cards from your hand unless you have at least one Cat Card in play.
- During Setup 2 Event Cards are drawn face down from the top of the Event Deck and set aside for the remainder of the game. This fixes two issues; increasing the difficulty AND preventing card counting in the Event Deck.
- Clarified after you draw the last Event Card you may take one last turn.

Rules UPDATED 19/01/2015 - Clarifying; When you gain a new Job, the previous Job Card is discarded, unless it's the Fast Food Clerk, which is never discarded. Just place the new Job over the Fast Food Clerk card. Fast Food Clerk can never be discarded, even if an Event Card is drawn stating you lose your job, and acts as a starting and back-up Job when you lose your prior Job.

Rules UPDATED 20/01/2015 - Game is too easy. Changed goal from 7 Cats to 9.

Rules UPDATED 11/02/2015 - Game is too hard. Changed goal from 9 Cats to 8. Reworded some of the rulebook to be more clear. Jobs are now stacked one atop the other, the previous Job acting as a backup Job when you lose your current Job Card.

Rules UPDATED 13/02/2015 - Rulebook reworded and refined. Decks are no longer reshuffled from discarded cards once they are depleted. If any cards run out and you cannot play further without them it is considered a loss. This is to prevent overusing any one type of card given their differing point values, especially now that Job Cards can be stacked as an insurance to always having a decent paying Job.

Rules AND PnP UPDATED 02/03/2015 - BIG changes to add some meat to the game. You might as well review the entire rulebook and view the new PnP! No multiplayer yet, but the single-player is nicely fleshed out now with more strategy and choices.

Rules AND PnP UPDATED 17/07/2015 - Final version of solo mode. Found a way to remove dice and add even more strategy to the game. Added two more pages of cards to adjust card count to better more playable levels (54 cards). Made Event card-counting impossible.

NOTE: If multiplayer is added, it will be added as a another separate file for download. So feel free to print this off and try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Crazy Cat Lady - Designed for the 2015 Solitaire PnP Contest [playtest phase]
I read through the rules, and these were some of the things I noticed:

Set Up:
- "make a new deck": That phrasing just seems odd to me.
- "Fast Foot Clerk": Should read Fast Food Clerk, I assume.

Gameplay:
- "and/or by discarding": I think the "by" should either change to "from" or just not be there entirely.

- "Player's keep track": No apostrophe.
- "get to 7 cats they lose.": Should be a comma after cats.

Random Comments:
- There should be more consistency with the terminology. Sometimes you say Jobs Cards, sometimes you say Job Cards, sometimes they are capitalized, sometimes not.
- I had no idea what Reno meant. I think it's short for renovation? Something like rooms would be a lot clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback. I'm working on an update. Just noticed a major oversight on my part. The Job cards need values in the bottom corners that you must spend to gain the Job. Sorry, that was a big blunder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really a funny/cute idea. I like the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
hah this is cool, my girlfriend is always talking about how she's a crazy cat lady, I'll show her this and see if she is interested in giving it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a major update to the game. The solitaire mode is now essentially complete. I just need to update the art (my artist is a bit behind), and then shoehorn in a multiplayer option down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the random roll for the event, however, some clarity is required for the die rolls.
What is meant by Top and Bottom of deck?
Which Deck? Event Deck? Event Deck discard?
Is top the every top, and if so, how is that different that the Event Deck roll?
Is the bottom, the next card under the top or the card touching the table underneath the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So the rules have changed somewhat. During setup you draw two Event Cards and expose them face up below the Event Deck, both visible to the player, but one over the other. This allows you to strategically plan your actions, given you can foresee what Event could be drawn.

When you roll 'Top Event' the top event is played, when you roll 'Bottom Event' the bottom event is played, and when 'Event Deck' is rolled a mystery event is drawn from the top of the Event Deck.

If either of the two exposed Events are drawn a new Event Card is drawn from the Event Deck to replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, there it is in the rules.
Missed it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, it's still early in the design phase. Rule writing is not my forte. That's why I seek help ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries.
Wasn't the writing, it was my reading.
I skimmed, assuming I knew them already and missed the change.

All on me.

Love the changes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Crazy Cat lady a few times-great little filler game though the event deck is brutal.Any more cards in the pipeline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a multiplayer option. I don't want to make a deck of 'take that' cards that a lot of simple cards games resort to, but offer something new and fresh. I'm making a square deck of cards that form a random map of a neighborhood that expands the more players you have. During other player's turns, all other players may move their Crazy Cat Lady around the map with a certain amount of actions, in an attempt to find more cats or other useful items in the trash. When venturing out of your home, you may bring cats with you as 'protection' from 'evil cat-less people'. When you encounter cat-less people in your travels you'll be forced to throw cats at them, losing your equipped cats based on the amount required from the encounter (the evil cat-less people suddenly become good cat people and take your cats home with them and leave you alone). If you encounter a cat-less person and have no cats you will be forced to go home and lose your following turn.

Player's can even catnap cats from another player's house, so 'security' cards such as cameras and alarms will be added to the Renovation deck for multiplayer to protect your cats as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took my blue version out for a session...

First playthrough was brutal as the 'requires 3 cats' events slide into my card hand from the beginning and then I kept on having my cats running away from me. Lost as all the Event Cards were exhausted from the deck and my hand was full of nothing but Events. Could not get a home to hold all the cats because of Events, nor could I sustain cats in play because of Events. Difficult....

Second playthrough I won and I believe that when I choose to play a high point Job Card for action instead of putting it into play had set me up to establish a good home (2 pts), fair career (3 pts), and then the cats came to fill it up. I had the cards in play for 11 action points to allow me to get three cats in a row to end the game with my six and a fair amount of Event Cards left.

Great fun and it is all about the draw of the cards. Thanks for the game, got my vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:

Great fun and it is all about the draw of the cards. Thanks for the game, got my vote!

Thanks for playing! Yes, some games will be more challenging than others. Personally, that's how I like my games. I'm open to any feedback as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night. This may be one of the more difficult solo games I've ever played (I ended the game with only one cat). I just got pounded by the Events. I'd get a new job and then lose it the next turn. I'd build an extension on my house and then it would burn down on the next turn. And then the next turn it would flood and I'd lose the whole house. Brutal! But kind of hilarious too.

A few questions:
Can I discard cards at any time during the turn? For example, is this allowed?
1. I start the turn with two points.
2. I draw a job card worth four points. (minus 1 point)
3. I discard the card immediately to collect the four points (so now have five points).
4. I spend the five points on repos and cats.

Can I resolve multiple events per turn (assuming I have the points)? For example, if my hand is clogged up with "Hairball" and "Vomit" events can I spend two points and resolve them both?

I made a small chart in the rules to replace the three sided dice with a regular D6. 1-2 was a draw from the Event Deck, 3-4 was the Top Event, 5-6 was the Bottom Event. You may want to consider adding something similar just for the player convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played another game today with my five-year-old daughter. She mostly helped roll the dice but she thought the pictures were hilarious. She cracked up at the cat barfing picture and thought "Derp" was a hysterical name for a cat.

Early in the game. The event cards at the bottom are my hand of cards.

We came much closer to victory this time. At the start of the last turn I had two cats and an event in my hand and four cats on the table. I was able to discard the event and place one cat but I ran out of points and was unable place Darth Kitteous. I had become a cat lady, but not a crazy cat lady.

She giggled through the whole thing. The punny names and silly illustrations really worked for her. I'm going to keep playing this because I am determined to beat it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I discard cards at any time during the turn? For example, is this allowed?
1. I start the turn with two points.
2. I draw a job card worth four points. (minus 1 point)
3. I discard the card immediately to collect the four points (so now have five points).
4. I spend the five points on repos and cats.

Yes, you can discard cards at any time during the turn, but it must be all at once and only once per turn. When during the turn doesn't matter.

For example, if you discard cards in your hand, whether picked up that turn or prior, to gain points in order to be able to pick up more cards, you cannot discard the cards you picked up this time otherwise a turn could potentially be played infinitely with the right cards. Only once per turn.

Can I resolve multiple events per turn (assuming I have the points)? For example, if my hand is clogged up with "Hairball" and "Vomit" events can I spend two points and resolve them both?

Yes, definitely.

I made a small chart in the rules to replace the three sided dice with a regular D6. 1-2 was a draw from the Event Deck, 3-4 was the Top Event, 5-6 was the Bottom Event. You may want to consider adding something similar just for the player convenience.

Sure, I'll add that to the rules. Good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGlubGlub wrote:

Sure, I'll add that to the rules. Good idea.

Another option is using a Fudge die: Blank from Deck, + top event, - bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to grab an event card every turn? The rules say you "May" roll a die. If I choose not to roll a die I only get events from the cats.

I'm making assumptions here as I'm obviously asking questions, but I think a turn sequence might be good.

1) You may buy cards (if you have points)
2) You may play cards (if you have the points)
3) You must select an event (roll the die), and play the event if its an "immediate type"

Anyway, something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Do you have to grab an event card every turn? The rules say you "May" roll a die. If I choose not to roll a die I only get events from the cats.

I'm making assumptions here as I'm obviously asking questions, but I think a turn sequence might be good.

1) You may buy cards (if you have points)
2) You may play cards (if you have the points)
3) You must select an event (roll the die), and play the event if its an "immediate type"

Anyway, something like that.

Yes, you always roll at the end of every turn.

I'll slowly be updating the rulebook more and more as the game continues deeper into development. Thanks for your incite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "Requires 1 cat", mean that cat has to be discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have this right, when it comes to events you can draw one from the top of the event deck or roll a die which gives you a chance of picking from the deck or selecting one of the face up events.

I've just played and felt no inclination to roll the die. Both of the exposed cards were bad news, so I was better off taking from the top of the deck.

If one or both of the exposed cards had been "no event", I might have been more inclined to roll the die.

What do your peeps think about that, are you rolling the die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Does "Requires 1 cat", mean that cat has to be discarded?

No you keep the cat. You just need 1 cat in play to be able to pay the necessary points to discard the Event Card. I'll have to reword that to '1 cat in play required to discard Event', or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.