Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vassal [+] [View All]
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've checked out the sites for both, still not sure how they are used?? Yes, I'm an idiot, but can how do you use it, meaning, how do you take your boardgame and transfer it to either, I play solo alot and sometimes would help if I could use the maps and counter's of games on my laptop as my room is tight with a 1-1/2 year old runnin' around, any info would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I can only speak for VASSAL as I haven't used Cyberboard, but I think it is the same.

There is a module that you load. This module will contain an image for them map and images for the counters. You can move the counters where ever you want on the map. The module doesn't help with the rules or validating moves or anything. It is just there to help play a boardgame online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberboard is basically just a virtual copy of your physical pieces and charts and whatnot. You can roll dice, etc. You can send files to other people and you can play a game with them if you trust them not to cheat with it. Or you could just use the virtual board to play the game with yourself to save space, as you said.

Vassal is an online system where you can play in realtime with someone else. Cyberboard is not real time; you send files back and forth. With Vassal you play in real time, move pieces, roll dice, etc. Also, I *think* you can play non-realtime with Vassal and pick a turn up anytime, I don't remember.

You can get different boards and games for cyberboard. You supply the rules, and you can play with the virtual pieces. Vassal also has a number of plugins for different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started digging into these as well.

If there is already a cyberboardgamebox or vassal module for a game that you're interestd in then, yes you can use either program to simulate the board, bits, etc.

These programs are just substitutes for the game components themselves so if you're actually looking for a computer AI to play against then look elsewhere. It's also completely up to you to know and enforce the rules.

Now if the game you'd really like to have there hasn't been converted. IMO many of these projects are labors of love. Be prepared to spend some time on creating the gamebox or module before being able to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:

Vassal is an online system where you can play in realtime with someone else. Cyberboard is not real time; you send files back and forth. With Vassal you play in real time, move pieces, roll dice, etc.

Vassal will allow a Play-by-Email format similar to Cyberboard although that's not it's strong suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for helping on how it works, it really helped me out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Vassal:

clandaith wrote:
... You can move the counters where ever you want on the map.

Are piece images allowed to overlap? Are pieces allowed to occupy more than one location on the board? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, and does Vassal have a snap to grid feature for placing pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Zimmerman
Panama
Panama City
flag msg tools
Are people happy with Vassal/Cyberboard? I've been thinking about writing something myself. Something like Vassal but with a rules engine as well. Is there any interest in this? What improvements could be made to Vassal/Cyberboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zillions of Games at http://www.zillionsofgames.com/ not only has a rules engine, but its own scripting language for defining a game. Well over a thousand games have been submitted and are available for free download on their website. The downloads are free, but you have to pay to be able to use them. There is a free demo with dozens of preinstalled games, mostly abstracts such as chess variants and puzzles. You can play all those games against the computer for free. But to use any of the downloadable packages, or to play over the Net, you have to buy the registration key.

Zillions is NOT a server, but two people could meet on the Net, for example using MSN messenger, and start a game. MSN messenger integrates with Zillions, (or at least, it did the last time I checked,) so you don't have to type in an IP address.

If you're not particularly into abstracts, I don't recommend you buy it. But it might help anyone who wants to write their own rules engine. The source code is not available, but an examination of the scripting language could prove useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What level of programming knowledge is needed to transfere a game to VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
Oh yeah, and does Vassal have a snap to grid feature for placing pieces?

Yes (and yes to the earlier question also). Its up to how you define the counters interactions - both are possible/interchangeable depending on placement/location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Since I'm not above a shameless plug of my own software, the gatlingEngine at CCG Workshop (http://www.ccgworkshop.com) also supports a rules engine.

Its library is mainly CCGs but there are board and card games offered there as well. New developers are always welcome. For some reason it's usually overlooked by this community, probably because of its CCG origins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
What level of programming knowledge is needed to transfere a game to VASSAL?

None - but it doesnt hurt if you want to add custom java classes

Competency in graphics programs is a plus though if you want to avoid using scans of original stuff

All traits and functions are defined in the help files and a yahoo group exists for tech / mod building / feature requests support

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.