King of New York» Forums » General

Subject: Too easy for 1st player in a 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Broad

SA
msg tools
designer
I've played a couple of two player games and it seems rigged for the first player. They go into Manhattan in the first turn and get stars just for being there. It seems easy enough to get 20 stars before losing 10 health if there is only one opponent punching you.

Agree? Or did I get lucky dice rolls on both of these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of luck in this game. If the dice love you, they love you; there is nothing that can be done. Don't forget that if you are in Manhattan that you cannot heal by rolling hearts. Mitigating factors such as being able to buy the right cards at the right time can level the playing field, but his game should really be played with four to optimize the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Haas
Russia
flag msg tools
Same here. Two games, 1st player in Manhattan wins by a mile. Not balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If this game is the same as King of Tokyo then it's pretty bad with just two (regardless of what it says on the box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
If this game is the same as King of Tokyo then it's pretty bad with just two (regardless of what it says on the box).

Yep, 2 player pretty much sucks. Even 3 player is meh. 4+ is where it starts to get good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

We've had a lot of fun using this variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1276110/2-player-variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

It's a good variant that Turtleback thought up. You don't get a star for going into Manhattan (Tokyo) and every round that you're in Manhattan (Tokyo), you get one less star.

I wouldn't normally play either game with two, but I tried out this variant and it was pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

Was about to post this when I saw that he already had.

My wife and I will only play with this 2-player variant. Very much balances the game and is a very easy change to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Heib
Germany
München
flag msg tools
I bought the game on saturday and was eager to play it with my weekly gaming group. We're normally 4 people, but were 2 short yesterday. We did give it a spin, but it felt really odd with 2 players.

As you said, it's way too easy for the first player to camp out in Manhattan. Learning that through 2 really fast losses, i tried to roll only attack in our third match and got him down that way. But seriously, it wasn't fun at all.

Another thing is, you can't get energy fast enough, so only 1 or 2 cards came into play. Victory Points accumulate so quick for the Manhattan guy, games are usually over in 4-5 rounds. So a match doesn't last much longer than 10 minutes with 2 people. I'm missing some cards or some other way to make the enemy lose victory points.

I'm excited to try it out with 4 next wednesday. Hopefully it will play better.

Since i couldn't decide between Tokyo und New York, i'm curious if Tokyo would've been the better choice? Does a round last longer with Tokyo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.