War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sarumane and other compagnon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Savaria
Canada
flag msg tools
Quick question:

I know that a compagnon can survive with a ennemie army if he wasn't in a army.
So if a compagnon is in a army and everyone got killed, compagnon is dead.

But for sarumane.... look like the only way to kill him is by the Ents card, but.. what happend if after a siege of his tower, FP kill everyone except Sarumane and the FP army just get out of there(so sarumane alone in is tower, no ennemie army)?

I don't think i understand when a compagon from FP or the one from Sauron die...

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He dies if he's in a battle and the evil army is defeated, just like the other companions. If he's on his own, no other evil pieces on his tower, then only an Ent card can kill him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Savaria
Canada
flag msg tools
ok thanks!

making sense now

p.s Another question, can a companions or minion free a forteress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alone, they cannot...just imagine everyone's favourite Witch King flying all over the map to liberate the concquered and emptied Mount Gungdabad )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Savaria
Canada
flag msg tools
heyhey true...

ok last question, since Sarumane can't move, can a army in is territory move to another region and leave Sarumane alone?

I know that we can't do that with other companions and minion, but if it's the same things with Sarumane, that's mean we should never put new army in is region or Sarumane is doom... look wierd to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's the Free People's LEADERS that cannot be left alone. The Companions, Minions, and Nazgul CAN exist by themselves in a territory, and so you can move an army out and leave any of those figures by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Savaria
Canada
flag msg tools
Ok, i think i don't understand here...

i was in the impression that a leader and companions/minions as soon as they are in a army, has to move with them, except if leave alone with another unit OR if you use a dice to move all companions/minions.

So that mean if a have a army of 5 elite unit + gandalf i can use a army dice to move only the 5 elites units and left gandalf alone?

If i have 5 elites + leader + gandalf i can use a caracter dice to move the 5 elites units + leader and left gandalf alone?

SO if the leader/companions/minions are alone AFTER A COMBAT they are dead, not AFTER A MOVE or EVENT ATTACK CARD (except FP leader that always die alone)?

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty simple, so I'll take a stab at helping you out here...

There's no explicit "declaration" of armies in WotR -- an "army" is whatever subset of units available in a region, that you want to move/attack with, during a turn.

Given any random assortment of regulars/elites/leaders/characters in a region:
* An army result allows movement (x2) of any mix of units, to an adjacent region. How (or with who) they've moved previously is irrelevent.
* A character result allows for a single army (as defined above) to move, but only if a character is included in the army, for that move.

That's pretty much it.

There's no problem with leaving characters behind alone.

Lastly, if a character is in a battle, and all other regular/elite units are killed, he and any other leaders are immediately killed. They are never left alone as a result of combat.

That's really it. So as a result, a character can be difficult to kill if alone - if they're not with an army, they can't be attacked, and cards are the only option for taking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
To add on to what Jim said:
asavaria wrote:
So that mean if a have a army of 5 elite unit + gandalf i can use a army dice to move only the 5 elites units and left gandalf alone?

Yes. Gandalf can stay behind.

Quote:
If i have 5 elites + leader + gandalf i can use a caracter dice to move the 5 elites units + leader and left gandalf alone?

Correct. The leaders MUST move with the army; they can never exist alone. But Gandalf can stay behind. He's not "tied" to the army.

Quote:
SO if the leader/companions/minions are alone AFTER A COMBAT they are dead, not AFTER A MOVE or EVENT ATTACK CARD (except FP leader that always die alone)?

Correct. Companions, Minions (and Nazgul) are not dead if they are left alone after moving, or after an event card that destroys units; they only die if they are in an actual Combat, and all the normal/elite units in the army die.

If I recall, you cannot intentionall leave FP leaders "alone" - you must move them with other units. It's only if you accidentally overlook it or something that the "remove them" rule would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other point of clarification: If an Army containing Characters only (no Leaders) is moved or attacks with a Character Action die, at least one of the Characters must move or attack with that Army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.