Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first play of Odin's Ravens in last night with the girl in the latest attempt to try out a new batch of games. I found it a little dull, while she was very happy with it, which was pretty much what I was expecting. I feel it will be a good gateway game but to a heavy gamer this will get dull and repetative fairly fast.

I ended up winning 4-0, getting to 11 at the end of the third game and winning by a wide margin after the last. The rules were a little confusing in parts, and I'm hearing that the magic way rules in the latest version are not accurate, so playing them correnctly may marginally increase my interest.

While it's a nice change of pace from the standard 2 player card games, Odin's Ravens doesn't have enough strategy or tough decisions to create any large replayability factor, and I only see it coming off the shelf when the girl asks for it or as a gateway game for another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a few more plays and the card play may click a bit with you.

One rule that we misplayed during our first plays was regarding the scoring of the Magic Way. If I win the "standard" race by a 2-card margin, but my wife wins the Magic Way it is scored that I get 2 points and she gets 3! We both score! Origiannly, we were scoring it as the difference (i.e. 1 for my wife) which slowed the scoring down and minimized the power of winning the Magic Way.

This adds a much more tactical / strategic element around the play of Magic Way cards (and has the benefit of help the game move faster). Also the use of the "auxiliary" pile takes some getting used to (and it key to optimizing your turns and making "the big move").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.