Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: For those of you w/ >100 games, what is your gaming shelf of choice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: storage [+] [View All]
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an IKEA Expedit, which has since been discontinued and replaced with the Kallax. The Expedit is overflowing with a lot of games witting on the floor so it is past due for another bookcase. The thing is, I am not sure if I want to get a Kallax or go towards a more traditional bookcase style.

What are your shelves of choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4x4 Expedit and a cheap 5-shelf bookcase from Target (to hold my coffin boxes and smaller/oddly shaped games). I recently out-grew these shelves and added a 4x2 Kallax, and do not regret that decision at all. It is a tiny bit shorter than the Expedit, but it isn't really a big deal at all. I'm very happy with the Kallax a\nd highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doverboy wrote:
I have a 4x4 Expedit and a cheap 5-shelf bookcase from Target (to hold my coffin boxes and smaller/oddly shaped games). I recently out-grew these shelves and added a 4x2 Kallax, and do not regret that decision at all. It is a tiny bit shorter than the Expedit, but it isn't really a big deal at all. I'm very happy with the Kallax a\nd highly recommend it.

Yea, i could get a kallax and im sure any differences would be more or less unnoticeable. The issue I have is there is so much wasted space on the cube style due to all the dividers, and the shelf height is not adjustable.

I also have a HEMNES for books, which is quite nice (solid pine). I am considering getting several of these for a classier look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at the Billy series from IKEA and plan to buy whatever $1500 - $2000 will get me once we move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are really lucky to have a rather large closet with shelves that fit everything nicely in our basement, but friends have raved about the shelves from IKEA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cennamo
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use THESE from Target. Deep enough for longer games and tall enough for my standard fair... they are a little pricey though. (It helps that I work there and get a discount.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
clawlan wrote:
The issue I have is there is so much wasted space on the cube style due to all the dividers, and the shelf height is not adjustable.

I also have a HEMNES for books, which is quite nice (solid pine). I am considering getting several of these for a classier look.

Yeah, I guess it depends on your collection and the size of the boxes within it. A large portion of my collection makes good use of the Expedit/Kallax cube size. I also have a bunch of record albums that perfectly fit (the bottom row of my 4x4 is filled with vinyl).

I can see how the shelves not being adjustable can be an issue for some. The Hemnes is a great option and certainly more versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought a house this year and the previous owners left a shelf behind for us... I'm not sure if it was too difficult to move or just didn't fit in their new house. The shelf is awesome (it's the wooden one).

So if you need a new shelf, I recommend buying a new house that comes with one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of choice? Something pretty and wooden and structurally sound. Unfortunately, right now, choice has little to do with my shelving strategy...right now it's whatever I can get my hands on to throw into the game room...which is, that this juncture, a big plastic set of shelves from the garage, an old family hutch and a defunct dresser. Perhaps I should stop buying games and funnel some cash into a shelving system...hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gillingham
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a large Besta unit from IKEA. It is 15 3/4" deep so standard game boxes fit fully. The shelves are adjustable so my taller boxes have a home. I also have a few Billy bookcases. But the problem with those is that they are only 11 1/4" deep. Standard size game boxes stick out, so I only use them for smaller sized games.

I'm also looking to expand my setup, and I think I'm going to add another Besta to match with my existing. Good luck with whatever you choose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
We bought a house this year and the previous owners left a shelf behind for us... I'm not sure if it was too difficult to move or just didn't fit in their new house. The shelf is awesome (it's the wooden one).

So if you need a new shelf, I recommend buying a new house that comes with one.

For reference, that's the aforementioned Expedit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
V4d3r wrote:
I have a large Besta unit from IKEA. It is 15 3/4" deep so standard game boxes fit fully. The shelves are adjustable so my taller boxes have a home. I also have a few Billy bookcases. But the problem with those is that they are only 11 1/4" deep. Standard size game boxes stick out, so I only use them for smaller sized games.

I'm also looking to expand my setup, and I think I'm going to add another Besta to match with my existing. Good luck with whatever you choose

I've gone Besta too after getting annoyed with Billy being too shallow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sad when IKEA discontinued the Expedit. I now limit my buying to whatever that fits on my 4x2 Expedit... My wallet is a lot happier, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My shelves are all over the place and are different sizes, shapes, and styles.

* I have a spare room in my house where I store DVDs/blu-rays, games, and comic books. I have "assemble yourself" bookcases (the kind that O'Sullivan and other companies make or used to make). I store my movies and games on these bookcases.

* Also, I have a stack of modular plastic drawers that I bought at Wal-Mart that is full of games. It works well because the sides are transparent and you can see the games without opening the drawers.

* In the same spare room, I have 2 simple rack units (white plastic, purchased at Wal-Mart) inside the closet. These racks are stacked with games.

* In my family room, I have an old component rack that I originally purchased for audio/video components. All my AV stuff is in my entertainment center now, so I use the rack for games.

* Also in my family room are 2 sections of an old (very large/heavy) entertainment center. We took the entertainment center apart and put the vertical cabinet/rack sections in separate corners of the room. They look like curio cabinets and stand more than 6 feet tall. They are full of games.

So, I took the "patchwork" approach to game storage . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got around 250 games, not including expansions and such. I use IKEA Kallax exclusively and I love it.

Not only that, but we used Kallax for everything in the game room and it integrated he room beautifully...

I wouldn't use anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I've got around 250 games, not including expansions and such. I use IKEA Kallax exclusively and I love it.

Not only that, but we used Kallax for everything in the game room and it integrated he room beautifully...

I wouldn't use anything else.

I love this room! I have been saying for 10 years that I want to build a room in my walk-up attic that has a pool table, dart board, gaming table, refrigerator, small bar, and maybe TV and audio system. Next year at this time, I will have been saying this for 11 years . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clawlan wrote:
What are your shelves of choice?

Ebay, kijiji and bgg marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
$20 shelving units from Home Depot:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
For reference, that's the aforementioned Expedit.
Is it? Interesting. I highly recommend it. And the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Ikea Billy with doors on the front 3 Doors per unit with the top ones glass. Works great and looks nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have IVAR from IKEA. Depth of 50cm fits all of my games with the short side as front(with exception of TI3). Also they have nice closeable parts for the chaos game stuff you do not want to be visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We have the 5-shelf kind, but from Staples - they're a bit deeper and stronger than the cheapo Big Lots ones.

The plastic storage shelves with the plastic tube legs (hardware section of Target, Walmart, etc) are also nice for wider games, because they have 18" versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of building my own shelving, but while we are waiting for shelves, the dining room table works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKEA Kallax for the win.

(Please ignore the mess. I need to take an updated photo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want something that looks decent (not your standard cheep cardboard bookshelves with plastic veneer from target), hence the reason i was looking at the Hemnes. But I do like that the Kallax is "double-sided" so to speak, so it can be used as a room divider. This doesn't make sense for my current set-up but we may be moving in the next 6 months or so, and having a big gaming area is a prerequisite. The Besta is classy looking for a standard bookcase design as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.