1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Miss the correlation tool? Check here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: xmlapi [+] stats [+] rating [+] [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the ratings correlation tool from BoardGameGeek. Actually, I miss it so much, I went and built my own: http://www.korttipeliopas.fi/bgg/ Type in two usernames and you'll get the correlation between the ratings.

The tool will cache the collections to reduce the strain to Geek servers (not that it's a huge problem), and eventually I'll add in a feature to check your correlation with every user in the cache with just one click.

Have fun!
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond cool, Mikko! I too have missed the correlation feature...

Thanks a gazillion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even better now, as it has the ability to compare to multiple users at the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
really nice. Thanks.

Two small things:

Apostrophes in game names aren't being output correctly - for example: That's Life!

I also get a warning at the bottom of the page:
Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. in /home/customers/lautapelaajanet/public_html/bgg/index.php on line 180

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does someone else have problems with apostrophes? They work fine for me.

The warning shouldn't happen again. The code is somewhat sloppy, so further mistakes may appear...

If you're having problems, trying to refresh the cache might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Mikko, I've refreshed the cache (using your checkbox). The warning has gone, but the apostrophe issue remains. Its totally consistant (for me).

I see it when I compare my ratings to yours: Ca$n'n'Gun$, Frank's Zoo, Hey, That's My Fish, Memoir'44, Stephenson's Rocket, That's Life.

Ahhh ... It fails with IE6 but works OK with Firefox. Maybe this helps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's it. Now it should work with IE as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Fixed. Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Seriously Mikko, that's awesome. I was thinking about it the other day. It's excellent that you can find out which users in your database are most similar to you - even if that's restricted to only those in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe a tip is in order for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow

It's me... and... me...

O, and: of course. A tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's no so hot with usernames with non standard characters, e.g.:

100%blade
The Maverick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I just realised I can fix usernames with spaces in by substituting a + symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool tool. Here's how I correlate with some of more interesting compadres:

berserkley: .64 (twin!)
DarrellKH: .45 (surprising)
Franklincobb: .34
Windopaene: .29
DWTripp: .26 (Hah!)
MisterCranky: .18
MrSkeletor: .16 (hmm, not so different)
Hacksword: .05 (Now we're hitting the AT's)
Jberman: .01
Robartin: .01
Crackedlcd81: -.03 (Now we're in bizarro world)
GROGNards: -.44(No suprising)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving 2nd block blank to compare against all cached gives 6 of the following:

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. in /home/customers/lautapelaajanet/public_html/bgg/index.php on line 276

but it looks like it's still working.

I like using the difference between the two users ratings to shade the background on the row.

Feature suggestion: Would be nice to have an option to display each users "comments" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!!

I spent a few minutes figuring things out and for those that don't know (correct me if I'm wrong):

1.The Graph shows YOUR ratings along the bottom and the person being compared along the side.
2.Being in "Perfect" agreement gives a return of "1" (Compare yourself to yourself).
3. The closer you are to the perfect 1, the more similar you and the other user are in your taste of games.
4. *This is the one I'm guessing on* Positive and Negative values simply mean which of the two of you had the higher amount of ratings higher than the other . A positive number means you do, a negative one means the other user does. So a value of .41 and -.41 essentially mean the same thing - just that the person who had more higher ratings is switched. (See Rich's explanation below for what this really means).
5. There must be some minimum number of ratings for this to work right as I compared it with my wife's single game rating of 8 to my 8.5 and the value came back zero.

Suggestions:

How about adding the user names to the graph as well as some explanations like above?

Great Job!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!!! Can't wait until you get queries like: find me all users with correlation > X with at least N game sin common .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Quick (I hope) suggestion -

When returning the "check w/ every user in the Cache" case - can you also include a column of Number of Games in the dataset. I get some high correlations but then discover we only have some 3 games rated in common - so naturally the correlation is high.

This be extended to excluding users that have less than X games rated in common also to avoid the small sample sizes.

Edit: Typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion:

When corr. against everyone in the database, add a 3rd column to the results that indicates the number of games that went into the corr. I think a corr. with only a few games is not as reliable as one based on a dozen or two.

Jeff

Edit: opps, Rich beat me to this suggestion so consider this a 2nd for the suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
manowarplayer wrote:
Positive and Negative values simply mean which of the two of you had the higher amount of ratings higher than the other . A positive number means you do, a negative one means the other user does. ...
5. There must be some minimum number of ratings for this to work right

As you mention - +1 means perfect agreement. A -1 would be perfect disagreement. For example - every game you rate as 1, they rate as 10, every game you rate as 2, they rate as 9.....every game you rate as a 10, they rate as 1. In other words, the slope of the line is negative - predicted (their) rating decreases as your rating goes up.

A simplistic way to look at this - the correlation indicates how much of the data can be predicted by drawing a line through points. A perfect match (all the data in a line) would result in a result of +1 or -1. The sign indicates the slope of the line: positive (line moves up and to the right) or negative (line moves down and to the right)

I suspect most folks are getting a negative correlation with GROGnads as he rates Tic-Tac-Toe a 10 while everyone else has it lower rated. This results in a point in the data in the upper left of the chart as well as the other hits. Drawing a line through that data would have a negative slope - so a negative correlation.

The closer one is to 0, the more "random" the correlation between the data sets. Or rather, the less one can predict the other user's rating based on yours. For games you rate a 5 - they have some rated 3 and some rated 7 - so how does one make a predicted rating? One can't so the correlation drops to 0.

And finally - 2 data points are the minimum needed as one is trying to draw a line through the data. As I mention above - would be nice to have an input - don't list users with less than X ratings in common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: You currently need to URL encode your username if it has any special characters in it. I.e., mine needs to be entered as "The%20Unbeliever" or "The+Unbeliever"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Thanks for doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Another suggestion:

When corr. against everyone in the database, add a 3rd column to the results that indicates the number of games that went into the corr. I think a corr. with only a few games is not as reliable as one based on a dozen or two.

Jeff

Edit: opps, Rich beat me to this suggestion so consider this a 2nd for the suggestion

And here is a 3rd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.