Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to November 1918, that means for all WWI, in all our sets and boosters we have plkanes from Central Empires (Germany, Austria, Turkey) with a black back of the cards, while the Allies are Olive Green. So the D.VII in the Top Fighters booster with black back are German and belong to Central Empires, the Green-backed Snipes are British or Australian and are Allied.

All other planes are post-1918 warbirds. After the end of the war... well, it's a bit of a mess. There are no more Central Empires vs. Allies. Everybody went on his own, so we used different backs for the plane cards that you find in the booster. British (pale grey) pretended to be a training unit but actually fought for the Czar in Russia against the Revolutionary army (dark brown with red star) that were allied with the pro-soviet Hungarian governement (dark brown with green-white- red V-shaped stripe). Polish (Orange) almost invaded the Czechs (Blue with white-blue-red circular cockade) but in the end both fighted against Soviets. Lithuania (blue with red shield and white double cross) was against Soviets, the short-lived Ukrainian republic which D.VII we depicted (yellow) was somehow allied with Soviets (or it was anyway invaded by their enemies).

Promo cards in the set are a Soviet Army Camel, a Soviet Navy Nieuport and a Polish Breguet 14 (from a French unit that pretenmded to train Polish but actually fought with them, and along the process was sold to Poland and become part of Wojska Lotnicze = Polish Aviation).

Great infos on Russian Civil War (and neightbouring conflicts) in the skies can be found there:
http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v2/v2n1/redfighter.html
http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v2/v2n3/whitfalc.html
http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v2/v2n2/whitpole.html

For Recon Patrol, everything is far easier. All planes are Allied or Central Empires from 1915-1918, with the little excepion of the Turkish Breguet 14 that's from the Turkish-Greek war (ex Central empire now fighting on its own - we put a black square as insigna on wartime Turks like the Nieuport 17 in BD, a red one on the post-war ones).

Happy flights!

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These infos already appeared on the Yahoo Discussion Group about WoW. If you are interested in this kind of stuff + exchanging additional materials, finding opponents in your area, getting news and updates, general discussion on the game, please join:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information Andrea! I really love the feel that knowingthe background on the wonderous aircraft, squadrons, and pilots gives to the game.

Cheers!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You welcome... wish we could do a site with all that, or a magazine, or a booklet... But for the moment the game itself takes all our efforts.

Thanks for your nice comment!

A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd like to see on the plane cards is a operational introduction date.

I know I can look at books to find this stuff out, and indeed The Aerodrome ( http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/ ) is an excellent source online, but these resources aren't always there at the game location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True... but quite hard. I mean, every single card has the data of a single plane. We could put september 1917 on every SPAD XIII plane, but this is not so meaningful: actually different air services got it in different moments. Italy got one the 4th of september 1917: it's in the game as Baracca's. All the others arrived the 14th of February 1918 (as Ruffo's in our game). Since data on the cards are for the singlke plane, we should maybe put that kind of info... but then Scaroni's Hanriot on the card (serial number 7517) lasted from the 17th of June to the 12th of July 1918 (with an amazing score of 9 victories in three weeks of fights). I don't know how much these dates are significant: Scaroni himself flew several Hanriots before, since the 5th of november 1917: planes that should be B firing instead than A firing (he was the first to introduce the second MG on a Hanriot and he did it on this one). The Dr.I was introduced, then retired shortly after because of structure failures, then reintroduced again...
Well, maybe a date on the card is not enough anyway. We should write a reference booklet... If we manage. This is a very demanding game, in developement terms...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.