Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Order of the Stick Adventure Game: The Dungeon of Dorukan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fleeing: Rules vs. Example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
The rules for fleeing state that you drop loot first, and then move, while the example illustrates the reverse. Which is right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uthrac
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
The official FAQ has not clarified this yet.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
STOP POKING MEEEE!
badge
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above. Sorta. When you are put into fleeing mode, you immediately lose one loot and end your turn. From then on, you do two things until you reach the entrance:

A) Move Three Spaces
B) Lose Another Loot (if not at entrance)

In the illustration, Elan ends the turn where he takes his last wound by dropping a loot. On the next turn, he moves three spaces, and since he's not at entrace, looses another loot. And the end of his third FULL turn of fleeing, he doesn't do step B because he's at the entrance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
parliboy wrote:
All of the above. Sorta. When you are put into fleeing mode, you immediately lose one loot and end your turn. From then on, you do two things until you reach the entrance:

A) Move Three Spaces
B) Lose Another Loot (if not at entrance)

No, this is wrong. My origial post states the situation as presented in the rules. Where is your information from?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
STOP POKING MEEEE!
badge
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From a) having the book in front of me as I answered your question, b) playing the game two days before you asked, and c) playing the game several times in various prototype points. Granted (c) means I could have different versions of the rules muddled together in my head, but still, it's kinda rude of you to ask a question and then respond that way when you get an answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1510984&postco...

Quote:

The rules are 100% correct; the Example is slightly backwards.

To elaborate: You should drop the Loot and then flee on each turn, including the turn in which you lose your last Wound. The example correctly has Elan drop Loot immediately, but fails to have him flee. After that, it incorrectly puts the fleeing before the dropping. The intent was to have the player drop his first Loot under the Monster that beat him, so that the Monster would have to be killed in order to recover it. Both the and the example rules reflect this, but the Example then screws up the order after that.

As a rule of thumb during play, assume the rules trump the examples unless we've FAQ/errata'd something. Feel free to keep asking, though, since its the only way we'll see mistakes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco D
msg tools
if you are at the bottom of your wound points and fleeing the dungeon, is it still legal to ask Durkon to heal you (if someone is playing him).

Can Durkon then use his cure assorted wounds Shtick to bring you back into the game and allow you to go on as normal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco D
msg tools
also, I would probably follow the illustrated example, because in the written rules on the page before, it states that on the first turn you begin fleeing, you only have to move 3 spaces..it does not specifically say to drop a loot that turn and then on subsequent turns it says "...you continue moving and dropping loot..." not specifying the order of those 2 actions.

The example clearly states that you do drop loot on the first turn and then afterward, you move and then drop loot after moving.


The reason I would go with the example is because the rulebook states that Belkar is most successful when he causes players to flee, and then follows them back, picking up the loot they drop...but if they dropped the loot first and then moved, then Belkar(or anyone else) would have to trigger a new encounter every time they tried to pick up a loot because the other player would have left the room...throwing that strategy out the window..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTwinZombie wrote:
if you are at the bottom of your wound points and fleeing the dungeon, is it still legal to ask Durkon to heal you (if someone is playing him).

Can Durkon then use his cure assorted wounds Shtick to bring you back into the game and allow you to go on as normal?

Page 19:
"You cannot lose additional Wounds and you cannot be healed until you reach the Dungeon Entrance."

(Bold emphasis mine)

You cannot be healed while fleeing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTwinZombie wrote:
also, I would probably follow the illustrated example, because in the written rules on the page before, it states that on the first turn you begin fleeing, you only have to move 3 spaces..it does not specifically say to drop a loot that turn and then on subsequent turns it says "...you continue moving and dropping loot..." not specifying the order of those 2 actions.

The example clearly states that you do drop loot on the first turn and then afterward, you move and then drop loot after moving.


The reason I would go with the example is because the rulebook states that Belkar is most successful when he causes players to flee, and then follows them back, picking up the loot they drop...but if they dropped the loot first and then moved, then Belkar(or anyone else) would have to trigger a new encounter every time they tried to pick up a loot because the other player would have left the room...throwing that strategy out the window..

The example is in error. In the FAQ, on the first page, under Rulebook Errata:
"Page 20, Fleeing Example: This example is incorrect; as per the main rules, Elan should drop one Loot and then flee 3 spaces immediately upon losing his last Wound. On subsequent turns, he drops one Loot BEFORE moving another additional 3 spaces, not after".

Of course, you can house rule it however you want, but that's the official way
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.