Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I am currently working towards my PhD at the University of Melbourne. I am looking for boardgamers who play Eurogames like Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, or Agricola, who would be willing to participate in a small research project over about a 3-4 week period. More information about the project, including a plain language statement and consent form, is available at http://melissainau.com/research/. You must be aged over 18 to participate.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me at rogersonm@student.unimelb.edu.au or via BGG direct messaging so that we can discuss.

If you know someone who you think might be interested in this project, please feel free to pass on the details to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mazel tov!

Would love to hear more about your research, Melissa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is my first research project for my PhD - I'm just getting started. But fire away if you have specific questions!

In a previous study life (Grad Dip in Internet Communication), I produced a short video about the history of playing games with people who aren't there - I see this as a part of the continuum that has brought us to digital games. You can watch it here. It was the first video I ever made, so production values aren't high, but I think the content is fair.

I also wrote a paper called "Gaming Squared? BrettspielWelt: Game, World or Great Good Place?" for a student-led conference in May 2013. It was well-received by gamers, as well as by fellow students, although I think I sacrificed readability for word count and I don't think it is particularly good.

As far as this study goes, it's in three stages. The first stage is an interview, which could be conducted via instant messaging, private mail (for example, GeekMail, PMs on Forums or Email) or audio chat (for example, Skype or telephone) if you are not local to me.
The second stage of the research is for you to keep a diary over a two week period, noting when you play boardgames during that time, whether in person or on a digital device. We'd like you to take a photo or screenshot when something particularly exciting or interesting happens.
The last stage is for us (me) to interview you again. This will be a shorter interview, again less than one hour and at a time and place that suits you. This interview will focus on what you noted in your diary.

If that sounds interesting, I encourage you to read the Plain Language Statement and Consent form at http://melissainau.com/research/ and make contact via my Uni email address.

(Edited to add links)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Scheinman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can you provide an example of something exciting or interesting that happens in any of the games you mentioned? I happen to play (or have played- I overdosed and quit settlers for good) all of them and can't think of anything that is any more or less interesting than anything else that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
smiple wrote:
Can you provide an example of something exciting or interesting that happens in any of the games you mentioned? I happen to play (or have played- I overdosed and quit settlers for good) all of them and can't think of anything that is any more or less interesting than anything else that happened.

I think you're doing the games a disservice!

Just TtR: Blocking a much-needed route; Grabbing the bonus longest continuous route near the end; An unexpected loss due to someone's high number of incomplete cards; Someone successfully gambles laying down a last-gasp tunnel route, even though they had few cards (Europe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in gamers who don't play using digital devices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smiple wrote:

Heh. As Martin says, blocking a route - playing a huge route with only Engine cards. Building three rooms all at once. Losing (or winning) by a single point. Buying two cards and getting the VPs you need.

But it could be anything. The cat jumped on the board and we had to reset? sure. Someone spilled their drink on the table? Go for it (but rescue the board first?). Everyone rolled 5s? You disagreed about a rule? It's entirely up to you to pick a moment or moments.

And of course it doesn't have to be the specific games I named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IamJacksUsername wrote:
Are you interested in gamers who don't play using digital devices?

Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And wow. BGG wins again.

My supervisors warned me that it would be hard to get enough people to do a study like this. I have been quite overwhelmed and have more volunteers than I need already! (In fairness, I only need 15 volunteers).

If you're super interested, by all means get in touch still - I am working on a very small pilot study at the moment, and will be contacting volunteers for the full study around the end of this month.

I'm sure that there will be other opportunities to participate in my projects over the next 3 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hey Melissa,
missed your talked today. Had to present in an other session Like your poster.

If you still need participants, contact me.
CU Stephan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a gander at your page, it looks like you want to speak to people designing board games next. I started work as a board game designer a couple of years ago and now work for two companies, developing board games for both of them. I'm doing playtests in person and digitally over tabletop simulator so research in the digitisation of board games is interesting to me. I finished my own PhD a few years ago (nothing to do with boardgames) so have a fair idea of some of the constraints you're faced with (enjoy the first year by the way, it's a great time for trying out lots of different things. I wasted nine months on a dead end and I wouldn't take them back!) If you reckon that'd help out at the next stage drop me a line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, PhD whose subject is board games. Very cool. Never heard of anyone doing such a thing before. Though I don't know much about PhDs outside of the Humanities. Good luck to you! Any PhD is difficult to obtain, a lot of hard work.

I personally probably wouldn't be a good fit for your study because I don't play enough games per week for a diary like you're looking for. If I can help in any other way, please feel free to send me a GM or whatever; I want to help.

Have you put up posters at local game stores? People who go there are obviously pretty consistent gamers.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thinker800 wrote:
Wow, PhD whose subject is board games. Very cool. Never heard of anyone doing such a thing before.

I believe Stewart Woods' book Eurogames is an outgrowth of his dissertation work. It's a great overview of the modern BG hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.