Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhonda was interested in playing Pompeii, the “run for your life” game from the designer of Carcassonne. This is one of those games that I didn’t enjoy very much on my first playing, but it has grown on me with each subsequent playing. No, I don’t think it is the height of strategy or tactics, but it is simply fun to play. Of course, it also allows me to slip into some fun role-playing, especially when tokens are tossed into the volcano.

I must admit, though, that the mechanics aren’t exactly logical. Why do folks get tossed into a volcano? That didn’t happen in the historical context. Why does lava spring-up at various part of the city? That didn’t happen, either. Ah, well … in game terms, it works and makes for a fun game.

In the placement phase, it seemed my opponents consistently able to take advantage of the “relative” rule and place multiple tokens. However, when the “omen” cards appeared, they were also the victims.

The volcano erupted early, forcing the good citizens of Pompeii to flee for their lives. As seems to be the case in this game, the final scores were very close. I was able to get one more citizen to safety than Lindsay and Byron to capture the victory.

Finals: Greg 9, Lindsay 8, Byron 8, Rhonda 7

Ratings: Byron 8, Rhonda 8, Greg 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.